Battle of Lanzerath

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did anyone consider doing anything with the battle? From what I have read there would be three US leaders 10-2 9-2 and a 8-0, one crew(half squad) and two 6-6-7 squads or equivilant with extra MGs against inexperienced German Paras with poor leadership.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably every designer with a yen for the Bulge considered doing it. :) I know I gave it at least a passing thought.

At first glance it doesn't really translate well to ASL. The US force is too small to do much with, and I think would basically spend the whole battle sitting there and shooting. It's a situation where the outcome would be heavily dependent on the dice rolls for German attacks and US MCs.

However, I have to say that glancing at the Wikipedia article, it discusses things I've never heard of before, like a dug-in jeep with a .50 cal. That's the sort of added flavor that can make an otherwise poor scenario into a memorable one, so with enough research you might be able to find a decent scenario in it.

John

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did anyone consider doing anything with the battle? From what I have read there would be three US leaders 10-2 9-2 and a 8-0, one crew(half squad) and two 6-6-7 squads or equivilant with extra MGs against inexperienced German Paras with poor leadership.
Sounds like it might not be a good scenario; from reading a few of the stories about this battle.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Schwerpunkt did this battle 20 years ago for the FL ASL tournament. The scenario was originally called the Eyeball and then Blond Betrayal. It is a good scenario that has never been released.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did the battle for my battle study for 1SG course. I wish I could see what Schwerpunkt did with it. I would have to say two SMC for the Americans 10-2 for the CPT and 9-2 for the PSG. The MMC for the Americans would be two 6-6-7. The FIST would be an 8-0 with a crew.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I believe they got the decorations long after the war

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They were all captured after their ammo ran out and all survived the POW camps.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only one soldier from the artillery was killed. The I&R plt all survived the battle

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I did a scenario on this, based on Eisenhower's book, and it was playtested and published in On All Fronts #122.

It was playtested a LOT - with such a small American force, it was brittle.

Still, I think it ended up a decent scenario.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did a scenario on this, based on Eisenhower's book, and it was playtested and published in On All Fronts #122.

It was playtested a LOT - with such a small American force, it was brittle.

Still, I think it ended up a decent scenario.
The platoon was picked for its abilities and intelligence. Every soldier was an expert with his weapon. Would almost seem like they would get a -1 on their own without a squad leader and self recover on a break

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I also did a scenario on this fight.
The entire squad was armed with BARs (according to my source).
Americans sit and shoot.
Germans attempt to advanced into deadly fire.
Boring for the US Army.
Frustrating for the Germans.