Battle of Heligoland Bight

Slider6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has a scenerio been created that might simulate this one? A 1914 engagement but most of the ships are available in form if not exact historical content. The Germans sure took the bad end of this one and their navy heavily restricted in movement afterward.

Wonder what would have happened if a battlecruiser or two found a mine or torpedo in the fog instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Heligoland_Bight

paulferris1964

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Has a scenerio been created that might simulate this one? A 1914 engagement but most of the ships are available in form if not exact historical content. The Germans sure took the bad end of this one and their navy heavily restricted in movement afterward.

Wonder what would have happened if a battlecruiser or two found a mine or torpedo in the fog instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Heligoland_Bight
There's a 1915 version included with Ship Pack 2 which comes close to this.

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
There was also a "Return to the Bight" scenario written for around 1917. It's on the server here.

Slider6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, I guess I'll have to check these out. The visability would be such an important factor.

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
I don't think a 1914 Bight game would be much fun for the Germans. Due to the low tide the German capital ships could not intervene because they were stuck behind the sandbar at the mouth of the Jade estuary. I assume they dredged that soon afterwards as a matter of high priority.

Last edited:

Slider6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, but you know me. Variation, realistic options, and minor history deviation just don't bother me (its a game). Especially, if such things are "learned" things they just provide the opportunity for options ;)

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
A recreation of the battle with more balanced odds would surely be a lot of fun. I haven't been around the editor for a while... ;)

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
It would be a believable alternative scenario to have the high tide option. You could even give that scenario a random hypothetical bent with a random raising steam roll to see what reinforcements actually arrive.

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Well, its an easily made scenario and gives us a chance to use the Mainz, etc which are in the editor. I will take a look later and balance it up by allowing some KM heavies out of the Jade.