Battle of Gettysburg remembered

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It's almost time for the big annual events at Gettysburg National Park. If you have never been there, you really ought to try to go. It probably the best park/museum of its kind. I've been there several times and will be going again shortly. One of America's true historic landmarks.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/06/25/gettysburg/

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
Don your right it is one of the best Civil War Parks. I've only been once and hopefully will be going next summer and I can't wait for it. I would love to see some of the renacting they do there.:love:

Tim McBride

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally I didn't like gettysburg near as much as Fredricksburg or Yorktown, Also the park at Gettysburg does not look much like Gettysburg did at the time of the battle, something the other parks have been able to preserve.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll never forget my first visit to a major CW battlefield when I was 12-Gettysburg. And seeing with horror a McDonalds sitting "on" the battlefield (and other stores). It was a shock after only seeing time period pictures and studying battle maps. It took awhile to adjust to that realization- that to some people $$ was more important than "real" history.

RESnider

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Be sure to walk Pickett's Charge. It gives you at least some appreciation of why the charge failed. It is too bad that Little Round Top does not appear as it did then, but otherwise I felt that the battlefield was at least in decent enough shape. But you really can't appreciate any of the battles until you go to the battleground yourself.