• 8-0 to 8-1

Votes: 32 84.2%

• Total voters

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Given a choice in a CG, would you Battle Harden an 8-1 to a 9-1 or an 8-0 to a 8-1?

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Definitely the 8-0 to an 8-1 over anything else under the circumstances, since it's potentially going to apply to many units' morale than just the leader's personal morale.
I'd even prefer it over upgrading a 9-1 to a 9-2 given the choice between the two, reason being it's better to have negative modifiers spread out rather than concentrated in a few better leaders.
I could see going for the extra morale if you had a specific high danger mission in mind and were short that one 9 morale leader, but generally I'd want more 8-1 guys to spread around.
I also tend to not put leaders in front in RB but keep them slightly back to rally, unless forming a MG firebase.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The stage the game is in also might have a factor, is it early, mid, or late game? Early on when you're just getting into a position maybe up that 8-0 to a 9-1 so in later days, he can upgrade to lead the assault into the factories with those Sturm squads. During midgame it might depend on how many leaders have been zapped. Late game you will need all the modifiers you can muster so 8-o to 8-1. How many days have you played will make for an interesting decision that you will probably second guess after you make it? I always did...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'd take the 8-0/8-1 over the 8-1/9-1.

You are benefitting from the increased Leadership Rating for any directed attack, for any rally attempt, for any MC/PTC/TC of units directed by that Battle Hardened Leader.
You are benefitting from the increased morale only on a MC/PTC of the Leader itself.

The number of the occasions for benefitting of the Leadership Rating increase is very likely greatly higher than that of the Morale increase.

ASL is a game in which you have to optimize your chances. And there we are.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd take the 8-0 to 8-1.

An 8-0 leader is basically a rally base, probably sitting behind the lines. At least if he BH to an 8-1 he could get in the mix and help direct fire if really needed, AND influence rally attempts with his new leadership DRM.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
8-0 to 8-1. For the same reason everyone else has said. There might be certain unique situations that come up in a game where the 9 morale would be preferrable, but outside of those it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So, given the general feeling, should the tables be rewritten to make it harder to go from 8-0 to 8-1 than it is to go 8-1 to 9-1?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I was more thinking going forwards. The battlehardening table is basically a cut and paste job from CG to CG. Maybe they manipulate the numbers a little but otherwise it just follows the ELR path.
Mind you, I recall playing a game where a Finish 9-1 battle hardened to a 10-0 which meant the squad he was with failed the NMC which it would have passed if he hadn't battle hardened!

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd go with upgrading the 8-0 to a 8-1, modifiers can make a difference in an attack or morale check.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
If standard ASL then 8-0 to 8-1. If SASL then 8-1 to 9-1. (The command & control benefit easily outweighs the benefits of the modifier.)

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
8-0 to 8-1 for certain, more bang for your buck. The 9 ml unit also comes with the peril of a lltc/mc when stacked with 8 ml units.

RB and other CG's are a game of accounting IMO. Kill ratio's and cpp kill ratios (for instance, a 6 CPP OBA has to kill, cause to be killed and/or save your own troops from being killed in an amount = to 6 CPP or its lost CPP) are important as both sides will receive roughly the same CPP on average. The German 100mm oba in RB for 4 CPP looks even worse in that light, the MkIII's however are a bargain at 3 CPP

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
8-0 to 8-1 for certain, more bang for your buck. The 9 ml unit also comes with the peril of a lltc/mc when stacked with 8 ml units.

RB and other CG's are a game of accounting IMO. Kill ratio's and cpp kill ratios (for instance, a 6 CPP OBA has to kill, cause to be killed and/or save your own troops from being killed in an amount = to 6 CPP or its lost CPP) are important as both sides will receive roughly the same CPP on average. The German 100mm oba in RB for 4 CPP looks even worse in that light, the MkIII's however are a bargain at 3 CPP
I’ve found the German halftrack platoons have a great bang/buck. 4 lmgs + ATR + 37L + 4 crews+ taxi service for reinforcements. It’s about 12 raw firepower per CPP.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ve found the German halftrack platoons have a great bang/buck. 4 lmgs + ATR + 37L + 4 crews+ taxi service for reinforcements. It’s about 12 raw firepower (RF) per CPP.
A Russian militia Co rates at 16 RF/ CPP
And a German Rifle Co at 11 RF/CPP, unless bought in reserve, which rates a Russian Militia Co at 21 RF / CPP ! One of the very Best Buys.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Russian militia Co rates at 16 RF/ CPP
And a German Rifle Co at 11 RF/CPP, unless bought in reserve, which rates a Russian Militia Co at 21 RF / CPP ! One of the very Best Buys.
Put 'em in the factories & keep 'em away from CC. A great bang for the buck.