Batter up! A different perspective of player performance

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now Captain Bacchus and I are trying to figure out how to incorporate dice rolling into chess. This forum can lead to too much thinking and not enough drinking.
Check out knightmare chess, it adds cards to chess. It makes chess mighty crazy but lots of fun.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'm sure there are shortcomings to this approach but after all it was proposed by someone who is not a fan of ratings. I like baseball though. Please feel free to rip this idea to shreds. Captain Bacchus and I have thick skins.
The most obvious shortcoming is how many people keep track of the scenarios they've played and their record?

I recorded all the SL/ASL scenarios I played but not the winning percentage and I was nerdy about it. If the system just counted scenarios played since its start the actual experience level of a player isn't really represented and as a TD that's what I would be interested in, at least in the early rounds. For those who didn't keep track is an estimate ok? That would be fine by me, I'm just looking for a ballpark number. Lmao!
Sigh, Captain Bacchus says I'm not as funny as I think I am.

Since I'm really just interested in experience why bother with the whole won/loss aspect? Just ask the player how long they have been playing and approximately how many scenarios and get on with it.

Having effectively demolished the system I proposed I'll go back to watching Cutthroat Kitchen, most likely to everyone's relief.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like fun!
I left my game at the bar and it got lost .A friend of mine, who wasn’t very good at chess but liked to play would play lots of Knightmare chess. I would win all the time in a regular game but Knightmare chess made it fun again for us to play.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The most obvious shortcoming is how many people keep track of the scenarios they've played and their record?

I recorded all the SL/ASL scenarios I played but not the winning percentage and I was nerdy about it. If the system just counted scenarios played since its start the actual experience level of a player isn't really represented and as a TD that's what I would be interested in, at least in the early rounds. For those who didn't keep track is an estimate ok? That would be fine by me, I'm just looking for a ballpark number. Lmao!
Sigh, Captain Bacchus says I'm not as funny as I think I am.

Since I'm really just interested in experience why bother with the whole won/loss aspect? Just ask the player how long they have been playing and approximately how many scenarios and get on with it.

Having effectively demolished the system I proposed I'll go back to watching Cutthroat Kitchen, most likely to everyone's relief.
I have a notebook of my first foray into ASL where I kept track of the games/opponents and notes on the scenario. I didn't follow up with my second excursion. I'm now about to begin my third...maybe I'll pull out the book.
I have one game of SL with you as notable. Was in Detroit. ;)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
That captain deserves a promotion after all the years of abuse you've inflicted upon the poor bastard.
Truer words were never spoken Gary. The Captain is an old shipmate, too good for a lowly snipe such as me. A great conversationalist who has no aspiration for higher rank, he likes the sound of Captain.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have a notebook of my first foray into ASL where I kept track of the games/opponents and notes on the scenario. I didn't follow up with my second excursion. I'm now about to begin my third...maybe I'll pull out the book.
I'm hazy on a lot of stuff but I remember that fairly well. The first time we met Nixon and you. I was thrilled to met Mark as I had read his stuff on Third Reich, a game I never played but was intrigued by. I remember hearing that you were a baby nuke and immediately felt a kindredship. Also remember beating Mark's buddy Tim Fuchs on a scenario I didn't know I had won and Mark's scenario Mud Madness. It's funny the stuff that sticks in your brain. Glad to have shared those times with you and can't ever remember beating you. Who cares? Good times. Take care shipmate.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
We played at ASLOk, Le Manoir or Backs to the Sea ring a bell?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Now Captain Bacchus and I are trying to figure out how to incorporate dice rolling into chess. This forum can lead to too much thinking and not enough drinking.
I recommend a couple of options:
  1. Take normally
  2. Take the location, the enemy occupying the location is rebuffed one square in and of the three "opposite directions".
  3. The DEFENDER takes the ATTACKER's square, with a REBUFF as 2 above
  4. The DEFENDER takes the square, eliminates the ATTACKER
  5. Stalemate
Reccommend a "DRM" of the point value difference between the pieces. Make the Queen More likely to "Take Normally" although Queen v. Queen would be a less likely outcome.

Now Grandmaster Fisher, I would like to play you in Random Chess. Care to put your ELO on the line :) -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
yeah, that was back before electricity if I remember correctly.
Yes it was bitd. Hated it when candle wax dripped on the board and counters but at least it made them waterproof.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Checked out a review of the game, looks interesting.
My favorite card is ‘Squire’ where a knight or a bishop replaces the King and the King becomes a regular piece. Another one is ‘Earthquake’ and the board it spun 90 degrees, pawns now have new columns. Gary Gykax (the D&D guy) helped playtest.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The only main problem with any rating system and the fact that they are all flawed is that any rating system needed to be implemented from day one of the game to day one of the first time you played the game.

I am sure I have had hundreds of games (if not more) since 1985, also during that three year stretch that Mike and I played each other exclusively in RB CGs generating 19-30 scenarios per CG played, how would that be included?

Plus what about all the play tests I did for LC and BFP and with Brian M (Tooz) and his creations?
Three years of RB campaign games sounds like heaven. We played a ton of them but not three years, very impressive. I personally felt that ASL reached it's pinnacle with RB and could have stopped producing any further modules but fully understood the desire of the vast majority of ASLers for more. Fish would have dreams of being on the map board.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Gary I found a couple we played at Oktoberfest:

10/5/89 The Commisar's House, Gary = Russians, played to turn 5A but marked as not completed, don't know why.

10/8/89 The Jersey Cow Bridgehead (Czerniakow), Darryl=Axis, winner was me!

Same notebook played against team Fish/Pleva in First to Strike, what was I thinking? I lasted to turn 7A but lost. What a surprise.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Bumping this back up since player ratings are being discussed again.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know of no person whom would refuse to play somebody because of a low rating. I’m sure there are a few but who cares? Why should a fragile ego that places undue value on a ASL rating have a disproportional effect on everybody else? Maybe they don’t like massacring newbies or helping them win and would rather face a challenge. Anybody obsessed with their ASL rating should probably reevaluate their priorities. You’re only as good as the last game you played.
I know of a few and it happened to me at "open" tourneys. I will not name them because it was so long ago, those guys aren't around anymore, and they don't contribute to the community these days.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I know of a few and it happened to me at "open" tourneys. I will not name them because it was so long ago, those guys aren't around anymore, and they don't contribute to the community these days.
Well as shown in the Bridge Hit by Cheating thread it's not just ASL that has some dubious players. Not that that is any consolation. Fortunately few in number in ASL, I hope.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a fantastic idea! Batting Averages concept makes the mot sense over the AREA or APCR none sense.

Scenario balance is overrated, a dog is a dog anyway.
I think that 'batting average' is too simple. Because some scenarios are DOGS and some are CATS ranking of the scenarios is needed. To continue with the baseball analogy it should be more like the ERA of a pitcher than the Batting ave.
For Cricket the batters run rate has the same issues as batting ave. in that its too simple and I'm not even sure of how to compare it to a bowler's wicket rate or whatever other stat you chose to use, and I like to think that I know something about cricket having once played it.