Batter up! A different perspective of player performance

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think that 'batting average' is too simple. Because some scenarios are DOGS and some are CATS ranking of the scenarios is needed. To continue with the baseball analogy it should be more like the ERA of a pitcher than the Batting ave.
For Cricket the batters run rate has the same issues as batting ave. in that its too simple and I'm not even sure of how to compare it to a bowler's wicket rate or whatever other stat you chose to use, and I like to think that I know something about cricket having once played it.
Yes the batting average was a simple concept but still works fairly well. Although I did abandon the idea for the even simpler idea of just asking how experienced the players are.

As far as dog scenarios go I think that is too subjective a criteria. What is a dog for one player may be a cakewalk for another. As I said about batting average a hit against Walter Johnson is counted the same as a hit against a rookie pitcher making their first big league appearance. Seems to have worked in baseball for over 125 years. Not a perfect analogy but close enough. Especially from someone who really doesn't like the idea of players being ranked or rated.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Bumping this up instead of regurgitating my same thoughts on the current player ratings thread.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Checked it out on the Google, very interesting. Thanks for the new perspective!
Check out Vlad Guerrero Jr's 2021 OPS, well over 1.000 which is outstanding, (also check out Babe Ruth and Ted Williams careers for just how high this can go), Vic.