Battalion Mortar

rcarter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know this has been asked before, but does the SSR have to explicitly state battalion mortar for OBA or would any US 80+mm OBA be battalion mortar — playing AP 61 Desobry Defiant

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There is no rule that makes a module into battalion mortar. It has to be done by SSR or by use of the Chapter H chart.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I would be very surprised if it wasn't Battalion Mortar, for 2 reasons:
1) Mortars were historically the only US ~80 mm
2) More importantly the only US OBA Chapter H 80+ entries are Battalion Mortar

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it does have to specify.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I would be very surprised if it wasn't Battalion Mortar, for 2 reasons:
1) Mortars were historically the only US ~80 mm
2) More importantly the only US OBA Chapter H 80+ entries are Battalion Mortar
While I think you are right historically, as far as the game is concerned there is no OBA that automatically becomes Battalion Mortar unless using the chapter H chart, with the exception of the US 60+ OBA created from removed OB-given 60mm MTR SW as per US Ordnance note 1.

JR

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Do not try to reason with scenario designers who forgot that battalion mortar OBA should be specified. It's too late now :)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting question. I'm tending to lean towards the acceptance that it is indeed a Bn Mtr for the following reasons:
It is listed as the Bn Mtr (C1.22) in Chapter H. For most nationalities it is not noted in a DYO context but in the Ordnance Notes section. I Think the Charts not only allow a DYO application but indicate what calibers of OBA are considered Bn Mtrs by date.​
Per the ASL Introduction, page ii, last sentence, "...the higher alpha numeric rule case always takes precedence, barring a specific exception...". Since the only other place in the rules that mentions what is considered Bn Mtrs is the Nationality Charts provided in Chapter H, I think it strongly suggests that such an OBA module would be considered Bn Mtrs unless otherwise stated.​
Don't try to infer a limitation from the designers that probably well know the indication of an OBA module is exactly what the ASLRB (and accompaning charts) indicates it is. If the Rule book and charts indicate an OBA module of a specific caliber range for an indicated date time frame is a battalion mortar module, unless stated otherwise by an SSR, it is considered a battalion mortar OBA module. If you fail to use it as a battalion mortar OBA module on your own volition it is of course your own choice.​

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Interesting question. I'm tending to lean towards the acceptance that it is indeed a Bn Mtr for the following reasons:
It is listed as the Bn Mtr (C1.22) in Chapter H. For most nationalities it is not noted in a DYO context but in the Ordnance Notes section. I Think the Charts not only allow a DYO application but indicate what calibers of OBA are considered Bn Mtrs by date.​
Per the ASL Introduction, page ii, last sentence, "...the higher alpha numeric rule case always takes precedence, barring a specific exception...". Since the only other place in the rules that mentions what is considered Bn Mtrs is the Nationality Charts provided in Chapter H, I think it strongly suggests that such an OBA module would be considered Bn Mtrs unless otherwise stated.​
Don't try to infer a limitation from the designers that probably well know the indication of an OBA module is exactly what the ASLRB (and accompaning charts) indicates it is. If the Rule book and charts indicate an OBA module of a specific caliber range for an indicated date time frame is a battalion mortar module, unless stated otherwise by an SSR, it is considered a battalion mortar OBA module. If you fail to use it as a battalion mortar OBA module on your own volition it is of course your own choice.​
Sorry Eagle, that's a stretch and it's also a stretch that the designers well know about this. It's pretty clear from precedent that battalion OBA is to be specified as such from a review dozens of other scenarios that their designers have taken the time and energy to so stipulate.

Basically you imply that all designers who have cited battalion mortar for American 80 MM in other scenarios have been wasting their time and ink; further, don't know the ASLRB sufficiently to realize that it's not necessary because they are to invoke the higher numbered rule (arguing in the reverse direction of your tack here).

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, it is always possible that the mtr support were coming from elsewhere. I think there are scenarios out there where it's British 25# supporting US troops.

This is a MMP scenario, so I have to believe they knew that Battalion Mortars had to be specified and it wasn't just an oversight.

rcarter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks all. I missed radio contact by 1 in second to last turn so the road is now uncovered. But this one sure ain’t over til it’s over!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
While I think you are right historically, as far as the game is concerned there is no OBA that automatically becomes Battalion Mortar unless using the chapter H chart, with the exception of the US 60+ OBA created from removed OB-given 60mm MTR SW as per US Ordnance note 1.

JR
Agreed.

von Marwitz

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks all. I missed radio contact by 1 in second to last turn so the road is now uncovered. But this one sure ain’t over til it’s over!
He forgot to bribe Klas before he chimed in, a rookie mistake.

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
As Rick's opponent: thanks for the answers. The scenario is Desobry Defiant and Rick has foregone the obvious placement of the radio-leader in the steeple to place him in the back of the field, from where he has been plastering my troops for the last couple of turns. That missed contact roll could allow me back in the game. (below: during German T6 movement.)

Attachments