Batisse Boards

buser333

Reaction score
Does anybody know how closely the Batisse boards mirror the official boards? I really like the look of them, but hesitate to use them in case the hindrances and obstacles aren't the same.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think they are great, but both have to agree to it. The most glaring example of discrepancies I have seen in limited checking is J189. The jungle seems to go to dense and the swamp/marsh is pretty hard to tell apart and also grows a lot (mostly on board 7). The buildings shift a bit too.

The VASL boards aren't exactly perfect either, but all things considered quite good (excellent given the price you pay).

j189.ssr.png

bdBatisse07-J189.gifJ189-Buckleys.Block-Map.A.png

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Is there a link to these Batisse boards? Never heard of em.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a huge fan of his city & village boards (too much concrete for a 1940's depiction in most cases) but really enjoy the others even if you do have to look closely sometimes to differentiate terrain. If you're worried about an exact LOS compared to actual boards (much overrated anyway) then they're probably not for you, but they certainly spice up the immersion factor (even on boards I'm personally not enthralled about). It's an outstanding effort to be sure.

buser333

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of his city & village boards (too much concrete for a 1940's depiction in most cases) but really enjoy the others even if you do have to look closely sometimes to differentiate terrain. If you're worried about an exact LOS compared to actual boards (much overrated anyway) then they're probably not for you, but they certainly spice up the immersion factor (even on boards I'm personally not enthralled about). It's an outstanding effort to be sure.
I actually question how accurate the HT map LOS is on VASL considering the hexes used are normal sized versus the larger hexes that come on the HASL map. I already know the VBM tool doesn't work and you have to pull the real map to check.

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
You could put both versions on the screen during a game and use the regular for LOS.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anybody have the VASL boards that they could share? The link doesn't seem to be working anymore. I love the 3D look of the hills.
The link works for me.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Batisse board 7 was done according to the original CoD board 7. When board 7 was redone, some buildings were modified in shape/position/orientation (see D2 and J1).

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How odd - it just times out for me.
That is odd. He’s been quite active. Added around 50 boards in 2020. I’m not sure of the best way to help you out. Is there a specific board you’re looking for?

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
No worries, thanks @BigAl737, now that I know the link is still active and the problem must be at my end, I'll see if any of my regular opponents can download them. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, just became aware of them for the first time reading @Grumblejones most excellent blog.

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Try a different browser. Microsoft Edge does strange things on his site for me sometimes. Firefox seems to work ok all the time on his site.