Basic Tactics Links

bennyb

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Strategy & Tactics Links

The tactical application of the rules is the next step beyond learning the rules themselves. I've hand picked these articles after examining a heap of links from a bunch of different ASL fan sites. Many links were dead and quite a few articles were too simple or short to provide any value.
These articles seem to be the pick of the bunch and are a must read for newcomers to ASL. If you find something you think should be on this list then please let me know.

Enjoy!

ASL Starter Kit #1:
Basic Infantry Tactics For the ASL Starter Kit

Must-Read Articles from BoardgameGeek (Most refer to SK but many tips apply equally to full ASL):
Defence Concepts
Infantry on the Attack in ASL
Ok, so I know the rules - - now what? Pray for dice?
Advanced Squad Leader Tactics...with Guns!
An ASLSK Tutorial (Part 1)
An ASLSK Tutorial (Part 2)
An ASLSK Tutorial (Part 3)

ASL Examples Of Play:
These are truly excellent. Although primarily intended as an aid to learning the rules they also provide some very good tactical tips. These articles are in need of a VASL log file for each of them to make it easier for players to step through each example. Any volunteers?
Basic Infantry (PDF)
Basic Armor (HTML)
Basic PTO (PDF)
Basic Night (PDF)

Excellent articles from Dr. Jeffrey Shields' Site:
Basic
Basic Tactics
A Primer on ASL Tactics
Light Anti-Tank Weapon Tactics and Urbane Tanks in ASL
Setting Up A Defense

Advanced: The Red Barricades Campaign
Factories On Fire: Tips for the Russian Player
Factories On Fire: Tips for the German player
The Armored Blitz in RB
An Accounting Of Tanks in RB
The Armored Blitz: An Accounting
RB CG I Russian Setup for 76L Guns
Armored Cupolas in Red Barricades

Blood Reef Tarawa Campaign
Adrian's excellent BRT Guide

Other:
The Big black Book of ASL Sleaze. At least a couple of these will be used against you in your ASL career. Ignore at your own risk!
Squad Leader Clinic: Men vs Tanks
White Phosphorous In Caves
Assault Movement
Flamethrowers

Ben

Last edited:

bennyb

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
These are the best and most in-depth articles I've found. If you find others then please let me know. I know some of the online magazines have good articles as well. View From The Trenches and Banzai come to mind so I might add links for those as well.

I think it would be a good idea to avoid simpler articles which talk about not moving in open ground and using cover etc. as most of that stuff is learned in your first game of ASL and is common sense anyway.

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Benny,

Thank you very much! Those articles appear to be great and I know I will learn from them. :cheeky:

Chris

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Great articles, as a newbie, I have learned a few more things. More similar articles would greatly enhance the tactical side of my game

Rastan

Reaction score
Thanks for the links Ben. A number of these articles are new to me, even after searching the web numerous times for ASL tactics.

Woody1971

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent Links!

Thanks for posting these articles. Been away from ASL for about 7 years. Very helpful.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
bennyb said:
Other:
The Big black Book of ASL Sleaze. At least a couple of these will be used against you in your ASL career. Ignore at your own risk!

Ben
Wow, EVERYBODY should read this at least once a year. Brought just a bit of a tear of true heartfelt.....feeling... just to look through it again. :cry:

Not sure where it is, but I think it was JR (can't recall which is T-H-E JR and which one is the "other" JR) wrote an article about the Dance of Death. Classic treatment of just how do 4 Shermans go about killing 1 Panther..... a thing of beauty only to be matched by killing a Panther with a Stuart bounding fire shot from the rear that the Panther felt they had to let pass 'cause there's a Sherman coming down the road next...I get shivers just thinking about it...

Oberst Balck

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Vftt

The View From the Trenches site is quite good.

Unfortunatly this has some errors in it but it has some good ideas so worthwhile for new players.

Did I mention it has about 20+ pdf's :nuts:

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If possible, you should add the Mike McCrath article that was posted on 9/5 by Jim McLeod. It was very good.

Squike

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Big thanks on the post Ben -- great information!!

I noticed something reviewing the above walkthrough from [The Guards Counterattack]. The article may be somewhat dated since the author uses the 6-2-8s in the westernmost building as an example of a Human Wave attack (which I thoroughly appreciated).

Unfortunately, ASL 2nd Ed RB clearly indicates that Russian units designated as Guards by the OB are NOT allowed to use the Human Wave.

I have been intending to review 1st Ed rules and erratta up to 2000 to confirm whether this observation is correct and is simply a timing issue, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Hopefully somebody who knows the rule off the top of their head can set me straight.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Unfortunately, ASL 2nd Ed RB clearly indicates that Russian units designated as Guards by the OB are NOT allowed to use the Human Wave.
This is not quite correct.

A25.23 excludes "a Guard" from from participating in a Human Wave, but this is referring to a unit guarding a prisoner (a Guard). This is quite different from a Guards formation, which A25.2 refers to elite troops as GUARDS (caps).

The index also makes the distinction clear between a Guard (refers to A20.5) and GUARDS (refers to A25.2).

Hope that clears up your confusion. :)