Basic Tactics Links

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noticed something reviewing the above walkthrough from [The Guards Counterattack]. The article may be somewhat dated since the author uses the 6-2-8s in the westernmost building as an example of a Human Wave attack (which I thoroughly appreciated).

Unfortunately, ASL 2nd Ed RB clearly indicates that Russian units designated as Guards by the OB are NOT allowed to use the Human Wave.

I have been intending to review 1st Ed rules and erratta up to 2000 to confirm whether this observation is correct and is simply a timing issue, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Hopefully somebody who knows the rule off the top of their head can set me straight.
Lacking someone like that, I'll give it a shot :)

You're confusing two uses of the term "Guards". The Guards who are guarding Prisoners cannot participate in a Human Wave. The Guards who are Elite Russian Units (like 628's) CAN.

Interesting catch, though, which I've never heard anyone else make. You may go far in this game :)

The Basic Infantry XOP needs updating, like the others. I've just been diverted by other things.

Tom

Squike

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Reep and Tuomo...

...for going easy on me.

DOH!

I realized later that "guard" could also mean prison guard or the same ilk. And it's true, in the index there are two references. Too lazy I guess.

I've always been told I have a big mouth -- thankfully I have the feet to match.

SgtStahler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've always been told I have a big mouth -- thankfully I have the feet to match.
Don't sweat it man... As much as I like to think I do my research before asking a question or making some comment here, I have stepped on some awfully big landmines since joining too. Oops. Wish I had *that* foot back...

Actually your question was a fair one and you did well in the way you asked it so its all good. I, for one, am always happy to elicit any response from Mr Repetti - It makes me feel like, at the very least, I am asking the right question...:smoke:

Sean

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Sorry for the necropost, but since SZO is down, does anyone have a link for McGrath's Tactics 101?

TIA

Doc

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This link is also broken....

The Big black Book of ASL Sleaze. At least a couple of these will be used against you in your ASL career. Ignore at your own risk!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2 of the most comprehensive websites I have found still active with the majority of their links working for new ASL players and veterans alike are the ASL WebDex, and advancedsquadleader.net

Both sites are very well maintained and do have a few brokwn links, but for the most part offer truly massive amounts of ASL items in electronic format for any player.

Muzzlehead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks but I know how to play.... I am looking for ways to replace my hard copies particularly Chapter H Russian & Germans (I have my rules but I lost all my Chapter H)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have taken the liberty to write up a short "Basic Probability Primer for ASL" for novices to DR probabilities.

There are much more elaborate and specialized articles around in various Journals and other publications, but this one might act as a starting point.

View attachment 42197

It can be found in the download section here:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2516

von Marwitz

Last edited:

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Excellent Links!

Excellent! Many thanks. I especially found the PTO & Night examples helpful as I am just learning/playing those rules.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So many people have you on ignore, you've got to create content from 3 year old threads?