Basic ASL game patterns

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
2. Read the SSR's and victory conditions, then read them again, then read the VC a couple more times during play
I try to get into the habit of looking at the map and reading and discussing the VC with my opponent before the game, to make sure we both are aware and agree upon what actually is the objective. It is really frustrating (for both sides) if a game is decided only because of some misunderstanding or different interpretation.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What's that ?
One of the other principles is avoiding stacking as much as possible. If you do that, you generally form multi-location (frequently multi-hex) firegroups to get to higher columns. Your opponent will try to break up such firegroups. Units in a line are vulnerable to being broken into separate firegroups, so as much as possible you want to avoid stacking but form up in such a way that you can still use the maximum number of units in your firegroups. The "blob/amoeba" formation is less vulnerable to being broken up into separate firegroups. This is a strategy that the attacker uses more frequently than the defender, as he will be firing in the AFPh at half FP at targets with positive DRM.

The reason that this is a good pattern is because of how the IFT works. You may ask, is it better to fire a bunch of units as a firegroup or separately? The way the IFT is structured, in general at the lower FP columns (I think 24 FP and below) it is better to fire as a firegroup if you have a net positive DRM on the IFT. It is better to fire separately if you have a net negative DRM, and it is about even between the two modes if the net DRM is zero. That is also probably a good principle to teach: when to use FG and when to fire separately.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Look for ways to keep broken enemy units DM. Fire at with LMG, have a leader/halfsquad/vehicle move ADJACENT, etc.

Dead enemy units are much better (for you) than broken enemy units. Look for opportunities to convert broken units to dead ones by eliminating for failure to rout or with additional attacks.

JR

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The reason that this is a good pattern is because of how the IFT works. You may ask, is it better to fire a bunch of units as a firegroup or separately? The way the IFT is structured, in general at the lower FP columns (I think 24 FP and below) it is better to fire as a firegroup if you have a net positive DRM on the IFT. It is better to fire separately if you have a net negative DRM, and it is about even between the two modes if the net DRM is zero. That is also probably a good principle to teach: when to use FG and when to fire separately.
I'll confess that this is something that I ALWAYS fail to think about. I just computed the probabilities for NMC or better with two four firepower attacks or a single eight firepower attack and DRM of +2, +1, flat, -1, -2. For this example, your rule of thumb is basically borne out. Interesting, indeed. Though NMC is not the sole figure of merit (e.g., late in the game one might need to "hope" for a spectacularly devastating result), this is something that I should keep in mind in future games.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'll confess that this is something that I ALWAYS fail to think about. I just computed the probabilities for NMC or better with two four firepower attacks or a single eight firepower attack and DRM of +2, +1, flat, -1, -2. For this example, your rule of thumb is basically borne out. Interesting, indeed. Though NMC is not the sole figure of merit (e.g., late in the game one might need to "hope" for a spectacularly devastating result), this is something that I should keep in mind in future games.
The difference is even greater if you are looking for a K/# or KIA on the lower FP columns. The NMCs go up/down one tick with every column change, but the K/# & KIA stay at the same DR for a number of columns. So for instance if you have a choice between a four FP down two attack or two two FP down two attacks, the chance that you will get a K/# or better about doubles. Of course you have to deal with any mandatory firegroup issues, but you aren't stacked, right?

JR

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...but you aren't stacked, right?
I'm a novice, but I think that I pretty well got past the temptation to stack while still solitaire playing SK (modulo special circumstances, as is true of any ASL general rule).

I think that it was joy I found in firing on stacks that made me realize that I want to withhold that pleasure from my opponent.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Excellent thread! I have given new players Dave Ramsey's excellent article, "Etiquette in ASL." The tactical advice in this thread is really good. Ramsey's article talks about stuff like reviewing the VC, have a debrief afterwards (and don't focus on dice rolls).

It's well worth the read.

indy

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Excellent thread! I have given new players Dave Ramsey's excellent article, "Etiquette in ASL." The tactical advice in this thread is really good. Ramsey's article talks about stuff like reviewing the VC, have a debrief afterwards (and don't focus on dice rolls).

It's well worth the read.

indy
In my earlier years, this list helped me a lot:

Edited now as Resource section of the forum is back up...
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?resources/finer-points-some-things-to-keep-in-mind-to-better-your-play.11/

By now, I have internalized most of it (well, I shouldn't be too sure of it... ;)).

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL 101 to me is gaining concealment when possible. When I see guys doing that it seems they are ready for the next round of courses.

30x or something might be knowing when to drop it to prevent that to prevent free LOS checks, but I am still trying to pass the college entrance exams!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
For players new to tanks, I would walk them through the B1F and BFF, paying special attention to Moving/non-Moving and Stopped/non-Stopped. Too many new players don't realize how easy it is to hit in B1F. -- jim