Baseball Thread, 2011

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Anyone seen Psycho? Or is he seeking medical treatment for his "arousal" lasting longer than 4 hours after seeing Paps getting lit up in the 12th just like he predicted approximately12 hours prior? Impressive Nostradamus-ness there...
If you'd join facebook you'd know, dufus! :p It was great seeing Papelbum screw the pooch out there. Paps (or as I like to call him Smear) was one strike away and blew it! Take your Hrabosky wanna be ass home, dbag! :ciao:

Rockford

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In addition to all the AL drama, the Phils set their franchaise record for wins (102) while helping the Braves complete their embarrassing epic collapse. THAT is a good day!

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was wondering the same thing and think Spencer may be right that Bobby Thompson going yard off Branca may be the standard bearer (I ever tell the story about meeting Branca at the track while wearing a Giants cap?) as it was the climax of a 3 game playoff with the Dodgers, then more akin to the Cubs as far as a team that always found a way to lose in the end, finding a way to lose in dramatic fashion. Willie Mays in the on-deck circle as a rookie and all that.

The big argument 2011 has it involved both leagues though & likely deserves bonus points that both leagues had epic collapses as well.. Although it didn't have the teams playing head-to-head.

Other candidates:
* '64 - epic Phillies collapse sealed on final day. NYY win by 1 game but clinched day before.
* '07 - Phillies pass Mets on 9/30, streaking COL wins & ARI loses on 9/30 to force 1 game playoff for WC - COL wins & goes onto win NL
* '78 - Bucky "F'ing" Dent - Yanks finished 6-1 only losing game 162, BOS closed 8-0 to force the Dent game - both 99 win teams
* '62 - Giants win #101 on last day, Dodgers lose forcing 3 game playoff which SF wins.

I'm not positive any of these were clearly "better" than yesterday as we often didn't have 2 leagues and 4 games dueling, but I will say many of these were better teams as the Wild Card races this year were 90/91 game winners vs. some of the ones above where they were ~100 & someone was missing...
Here's my argument though, Bret. You had THREE compelling games - all basically playoff games, and all going either extar innings or the bottom of the ninth. In temrs of quality nad quantity - i don't think any other day stacks up.

Frak 2007 - Glavine took all the air out of that afternoon in the first inning. I had the NFL on my 1:30. grrrr.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's my argument though, Bret. You had THREE compelling games - all basically playoff games, and all going either extar innings or the bottom of the ninth. In temrs of quality nad quantity - i don't think any other day stacks up.

Frak 2007 - Glavine took all the air out of that afternoon in the first inning. I had the NFL on my 1:30. grrrr.
I agree 100%

Eight teams were involved and the whole country was watching as opposed to only the fans of two teams. There were two monumental collapses on the line, one record breaking with two possible one day playoff games lurking. Plus, the games going into extra innings made it even more special.

Now they're calling Francona a wuss for running a lax clubhouse and Boston players fat and soft. Luv it. When the Yankees were ahead 7-0 I was thinking that the Yankees being the Yankees, that I doubted that lead was going to hold up. Don't like the Cards, but at least their fans get to see AP play again at home one last time.

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Well the Pirates ONLY lost 90 games this year. Ther'ye on a roll......

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greatest night ofregular season baseball for me. Cards finish off Houston early and complete their epic comeback when Braves complete their epic collapse. Then get the bonus of Red Sox losing it.

Here's hoping for a Cards-Yankees WS.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you'd join facebook you'd know, dufus! :p
But then I'd really be a dufus! :devious:

I'm still resisting for some reason. Spend too much time on other stuff that I don't need yet another time suck...

Glad to hear you didn't hurt yourself in your Papelbon glee though... :cool:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

And baseball was the only game going on Wednesday which turned out to be a great choice as the NFL would have swallowed much of the hype even if the same events played out on Sunday.

I think Wednesday has a compelling argument. The biggest downside is the quality of the teams involved is 90 win vs. 100 win which I think should be factored in somewhat. There's also a rush to hype the latest as the greatest it seems. Will this week live in infamy like 1951's "Shot Heard Around the World"? Time will tell...

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
And baseball was the only game going on Wednesday which turned out to be a great choice as the NFL would have swallowed much of the hype even if the same events played out on Sunday.

I think Wednesday has a compelling argument. The biggest downside is the quality of the teams involved is 90 win vs. 100 win which I think should be factored in somewhat. There's also a rush to hype the latest as the greatest it seems. Will this week live in infamy like 1951's "Shot Heard Around the World"? Time will tell...
[video=youtube;EUZD1MEgnaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUZD1MEgnaU&list=PL09A798F9E82E1CE7&index=3[/video]

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States

This is my concern. I am very, very slow to tag "best ever" on something that just happened because so many folks are very, very quick to do so.

OTOH, the last time I was tempted was the 2008 Wimbledon men's final. And three years on, still the greatest tennis match I've ever watched (and many others say the same). We'll check back in 2013 at five years...

S

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This is my concern. I am very, very slow to tag "best ever" on something that just happened because so many folks are very, very quick to do so.

OTOH, the last time I was tempted was the 2008 Wimbledon men's final. And three years on, still the greatest tennis match I've ever watched (and many others say the same). We'll check back in 2013 at five years...

S
Otherwise known as Prisoner of the Moment

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Not a term I've heard, but yeah.

S
I've heard it in other places but mainly on First Take (Skip Bayless uses it a bunch). Mainly younger people are caught up in POM as you can see whenever there is a question/poll on ESPN and the greatest moment/thing they've ever seen is always the most recent thing. :(

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I've heard it in other places but mainly on First Take (Skip Bayless uses it a bunch). Mainly younger people are caught up in POM as you can see whenever there is a question/poll on ESPN and the greatest moment/thing they've ever seen is always the most recent thing. :(
Change isn't necessarily progress.

Skip Bayless, eh? Well, good term regardless. Can't stand that guy.

S

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Newer isn't necessarily better. Just because things change does not guarantee they're improving. The antithesis to "now is best" thinking.

That seems to be the consensus but I find that he's right more often than he's wrong.
Y'know...I was about to edit this. I realized I wasn't thinking of Skip Bayless. I can see the guy I'm thinking of's face, but can't pull his name up.

EDIT: Jay Mariotti. Both around Chicago media around the same time, both moderately annoying, but Mariotti is far more grating with much less to say.

S

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Newer isn't necessarily better. Just because things change does not guarantee they're improving. The antithesis to "now is best" thinking.
That's what I thought you meant but wasn't sure. No. The questions/polls are something like: Which is the greatest upset in NFL history? And the NYG beating NE won easily. The NYJ upsetting the Colts in SBIII was listed but finished way down the list. SB18 (OAK vs WAS) not listed. The 1950 Championship wasn't listed (CLE vs LA). etc.

Y'know...I was about to edit this. I realized I wasn't thinking of Skip Bayless. I can see the guy I'm thinking of's face, but can't pull his name up.

S

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
That's what I thought you meant but wasn't sure. No. The questions/polls are something like: Which is the greatest upset in NFL history? And the NYG beating NE won easily. The NYJ upsetting the Colts in SBIII was listed but finished way down the list. SB18 (OAK vs WAS) not listed. The 1950 Championship wasn't listed (CLE vs LA). etc.

Yep. That's Bayless. Jackie Earle Haley's slightly better looking brother.

I was thinking of Mariotti...

S

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Playoff predictions guaranteed to go wrong:

vs
TB

vs
DET