Baseball Thread, 2011

Mr. Omaha

Reaction score
Well the Red Sox/Yankees have battled again....

CC Sabathia won on Tuesday, and the Red Sox beat up the Yankee pitching staff on Wednesday....

Stayed tuned baseball fans, October is just around the corner....

Sitting here watching this and I know you are too Kevin. Lester continues to ascend to the top of the AL LH's list...this side of Sabathia...

Interesting to see if the fundamental adjustments the Yankees are attempting to make with Burnett make a difference...if the guy could ever learn to repeat his delivery, he'd win 17 games + every year (a consistent 3rd subtraction pitch would help also).

How important is the ability to repeat? See Cliff Lee pre and post 2007...
Pre: at times brilliant (2006) and at times a can of gas on a smoldering quilt...

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well this is it folks. Chicago and Detroit meet here for a three game weekend series starting today. We're five and a half games ahead of them. The presure is all on them.

If my Tigers can get a sweep it will spell doom for the Bleached Hosery! DOOM!

:horse:

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well this is it folks. Chicago and Detroit meet here for a three game weekend series starting today. We're five and a half games ahead of them. The presure is all on them.

If my Tigers can get a sweep it will spell doom for the Bleached Hosery! DOOM!

:horse:
Are we going to face Verlander? I couldn't believe that Peavy gave up six in the first to lose our last one to the Twins.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Are we going to face Verlander? I couldn't believe that Peavy gave up six in the first to lose our last one to the Twins.
Verlander pitches today according to the ESPN fantasy page.

Mr. Omaha

Reaction score
You probably will... quite a bit. ;)
Them and everyone else in the league...when he's right. Which is like thunderstorms in Omaha this summer - everyday, er everyday he takes the "bump' that is...

Has he even lost this summer? I think he was on about a 8-9 game win streak...Glennbo elaborate?

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well,

The Red Sox lost 2 of 3 to the Yankees. Now the Texas Rangers are in town for a weekend series of three. This will be the deciding weekend if one or both team make the playoffs.....

Mr. Omaha

Reaction score
Well,

The Red Sox lost 2 of 3 to the Yankees. Now the Texas Rangers are in town for a weekend series of three. This will be the deciding weekend if one or both team make the playoffs.....
Stay positive Kev...tonite is just one game. Regardless, you guys should match up well with them in an intimate series down the road...However as Curt said a couple of days ago "boy they've got some power arms down there."

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stay positive Kev...tonite is just one game. Regardless, you guys should match up well with them in an intimate series down the road...However as Curt said a couple of days ago "boy they've got some power arms down there."
Even though the Red Sox have won more World Series than any other Baseball organization THIS century....

I still remember the "Old choke Sox".....

Mr. Omaha

Reaction score
Even though the Red Sox have won more World Series than any other Baseball organization THIS century....

I still remember the "Old choke Sox".....
Aah, those days are long gone. 2004 hammered those nails home...quite quickly in fact (8 games).

What's more amazing is HOW they did it on the back of a 19-8 (perhaps it was 19-9) game 3 drubbing at the hands of the Yankees....talk about adversity bringing out the true character of a team:)

No matter how intense the heat Buckner took in '86....he was a fine ballplayer-solid at the plate, platinum grade defensively when he was with the Cubs (one play destroyed that and destroyed him for years). He took so much abuse albeit some quite unfairly in Boston, that he moved back to Vallejo, CA just to live a "normal" life...

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aah, those days are long gone. 2004 hammered those nails home...quite quickly in fact (8 games).

What's more amazing is HOW they did it on the back of a 19-8 (perhaps it was 19-9) game 3 drubbing at the hands of the Yankees....talk about adversity bringing out the true character of a team:)

No matter how intense the heat Buckner took in '86....he was a fine ballplayer-solid at the plate, platinum grade defensively when he was with the Cubs (one play destroyed that and destroyed him for years). He took so much abuse albeit some quite unfairly in Boston, that he moved back to Vallejo, CA just to live a "normal" life...
That was a Series I will always cherish.

I also wanted the Red Sox to win in 1975.

That was the team for the ages....

Mr. Omaha

Reaction score
That was a Series I will always cherish.

I also wanted the Red Sox to win in 1975.

That was the team for the ages....
Although I was only 8 at the time and no ESPN, I remember that team. Lynn was both the AL MVP and Rookie of the Year (has that even been accomplished since?).

I loved Luis Tiant (took him yard in '86 when he was pitching semi-pro for the South Lake Tahoe Stars-I was playing summer college ball, a real treat!).

Bill Lee was quite opinionated, yet quite talented as a LH starter. Burleson was solid, Rice was rapidly developing and of course, YAZ was YAZ...

Rick Wise was better than expected and Drago was solid out of the pen (he would be for the next few years as well).

Many still regard that WS as the finest ever...

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has he even lost this summer? I think he was on about a 8-9 game win streak...Glennbo elaborate?
After today's win against Chicago Verlander is 21-5. I can't remember the last time he lost. It's been a while.

He has over 220 strikouts and averages more than one SO an inning.

One thing is clear to Tiger fans: without him we wouldn't be in first place.

Sorry Chicago fans, but Verlander is supposed to pitch in each of the two series we have left to play you.

However we face Burhle tommorow and he's been lights out lately. :OHNO:

Mike Murphy

Cat's servant
Reaction score
JV (Justin Verlander) won his ninth straight start, and became the first Tiger to win 21 games since JM (Jack Morris) did it in 1986. JL (Jim Leyland) also won his 500th game as Tigers manager. He did point out that 104 of those wins belong to JV.

Here's looking forward to baseball in the "D" well into October!

Last edited:

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After today's win against Chicago Verlander is 21-5. I can't remember the last time he lost. It's been a while.

He has over 220 strikouts and averages more than one SO an inning.

One thing is clear to Tiger fans: without him we wouldn't be in first place.

Sorry Chicago fans, but Verlander is supposed to pitch in each of the two series we have left to play you.

However we face Burhle tommorow and he's been lights out lately. :OHNO:
Man, if he got injured for the rest of the season, he'd have a great Strat-O-Matic card next year. :devious: Although, I could just use his stats todate, have Strat-O-Matic make me a card and not jinx him...for a price($6 +S&H). :devious::devious:

Anybody but the Yankees, unless they are needed to take care of the Red Sox. :smoke::smoke:

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh my goodness, what a game today!

Ghicago's batters pounded our starter Penny and chased him in the fifth with a 8-1 lead. They had three homers off of him!

But the Tigers kept chipping away at the lead and it was 8-6 in the bottom of the ninth. Jackson triples. Rauburn hits one out of the park! Tie game! Then Miggy Cabrera comes up with two outs and hits a walk off homer! Three run ninth! Tigers win! The team mobs Cabrera at the plate! The announcers are going crazy! The fans go wild! What a finish!

The Bleached Hosery are now seven and a half back. Tomorrow we can put the knife in them with a sweep. The Indians are 6.5 back, and we have a three game series with them next. I can taste the post season already! Which raises the question...

Who will we face in the playoffs? Tigers fans prefer to face the Yankees because we've played well against them this season. What an ASLOK that would be! Tigers versus Yankees, and ASL between games! Heaven!

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh my goodness, what a game today!

Ghicago's batters pounded our starter Penny and chased him in the fifth with a 8-1 lead. They had three homers off of him!

But the Tigers kept chipping away at the lead and it was 8-6 in the bottom of the ninth. Jackson triples. Rauburn hits one out of the park! Tie game! Then Miggy Cabrera comes up with two outs and hits a walk off homer! Three run ninth! Tigers win! The team mobs Cabrera at the plate! The announcers are going crazy! The fans go wild! What a finish!

The Bleached Hosery are now seven and a half back. Tomorrow we can put the knife in them with a sweep. The Indians are 6.5 back, and we have a three game series with them next. I can taste the post season already! Which raises the question...

Who will we face in the playoffs? Tigers fans prefer to face the Yankees because we've played well against them this season. What an ASLOK that would be! Tigers versus Yankees, and ASL between games! Heaven!
Just hold on Glennbo....

NEVER count your team in the playoffs until the 162nd game is over....

What would you do if the Tigers pulled the "choke" like the Bosox have done historically?

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just hold on Glennbo....

NEVER count your team in the playoffs until the 162nd game is over....

What would you do if the Tigers pulled the "choke" like the Bosox have done historically?
You're right. And the Tigers DID choke in 2009...BIG TIME. :(