Baseball Thread, 2011

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm always amazed at how much lift a well hit ball can have in such a short distance. Looking at that pic you'd almost think he was about to miss it rather than taking it downtown.

Congrats to Jimmy - amazing he got to 600. Only the 8th ever, and perhaps only the 5th ever to do it "clean". It was great fun watching him come up with the Indians and develop as a hitter in the '90s. Always one of my faves...
Who says he was clean? I hope so but there will always be that cloud of suspicion cuz he played during the steroid era.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who says he was clean? I hope so but there will always be that cloud of suspicion cuz he played during the steroid era.
If you'll note I never said he was in fact clean. Just that "...perhaps only the 5th ever to do it "clean"." Same as we don't know Junior was clean given he played in the same era. Nor for that matter do we know that Aaron & Mays weren't popping greenies before every game. After all they played in the "Speed Era" where the clubhouse had 2 cups of coffee. And of course we all know the Babe was hopped up on Hot Dogs & Beer, the latter being quite illegal during prohibition which covered the majority of the Babe's HR hitting...

Heck, maybe Jimmy's the first clean 600 HR hitter in history? Or maybe just the 8th tainted one? He's at least never been found guilty unlike Bonds, Sosa & A-Roid. In this era, reasonable doubt seems all we can ask from our stars...

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
If you'll note I never said he was in fact clean. Just that "...perhaps only the 5th ever to do it "clean"." Same as we don't know Junior was clean given he played in the same era. Nor for that matter do we know that Aaron & Mays weren't popping greenies before every game. After all they played in the "Speed Era" where the clubhouse had 2 cups of coffee. And of course we all know the Babe was hopped up on Hot Dogs & Beer, the latter being quite illegal during prohibition which covered the majority of the Babe's HR hitting...

Heck, maybe Jimmy's the first clean 600 HR hitter in history? Or maybe just the 8th tainted one? He's at least never been found guilty unlike Bonds, Sosa & A-Roid. In this era, reasonable doubt seems all we can ask from our stars...
"popping greenies" indeed.

This is the black eye on the black eye of the steroid era... There hasn't been a "clean era" in baseball. Widespread use of spit, slime etc. long survived its official prohibition and the breadth of use of amphetamines is something seemingly ignored by most critics of the steroid era. Kids, this ain't nothing new.

S

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to Jimmy - amazing he got to 600. Only the 8th ever, and perhaps only the 5th ever to do it "clean". It was great fun watching him come up with the Indians and develop as a hitter in the '90s. Always one of my faves...
Tigers fans did the right thing and gave him a nice, long standing ovation. Goodness knows that if there was one player who hurt the Tigers over the years with the long ball it's him. Team after team, year after year, he's murdered us. I've lost track of how many of our losses were because of Jimmy T.

It's great that baseball fans everywhere can recognize and acknowledge such a great feat as six hundred home runs.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There hasn't been a "clean era" in baseball. Widespread use of spit, slime etc. long survived its official prohibition and the breadth of use of amphetamines is something seemingly ignored by most critics of the steroid era. Kids, this ain't nothing new.

S
There's no comparison. Steroids change the very composition of the body, warping muscle growth. Alcohol, speed, weed, LSD...whatever else, don't PHYSICALLY give you more muscle power. They can keep you alert, thinking faster, clearer, or less anxious. But they don't turn you into a circus freak. :hog:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
There's no comparison. Steroids change the very composition of the body, warping muscle growth. Alcohol, speed, weed, LSD...whatever else, don't PHYSICALLY give you more muscle power. They can keep you alert, thinking faster, clearer, or less anxious. But they don't turn you into a circus freak. :hog:
In a season that is much about stamina as anything...anything that keeps you going is a huge boost, especially in September.

Look, as long as you're cheating to win, I'm not overly concerned, really. There will always be those who do and they'll always stay ahead of the "cops." Now, you start betting on games....

S

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Tigers fans did the right thing and gave him a nice, long standing ovation. Goodness knows that if there was one player who hurt the Tigers over the years with the long ball it's him. Team after team, year after year, he's murdered us. I've lost track of how many of our losses were because of Jimmy T.

It's great that baseball fans everywhere can recognize and acknowledge such a great feat as six hundred home runs.
Agreed, and couldn't be for a better guy. And I have never heard one ill word about Thome from anyone: fans, coaches, teammates, opponents. They guy has been a model citizen everywhere he's been. If character counts, he has it.

S

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

I know. I'm just saying. I like him and hope he's clean (like Jeter & Biggio).

That's the hypocrisy that I can't stand coming from the guys of the 60s to the 80s. I've only heard Mike Schmidt come out and say what they did was the same thing.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
"popping greenies" indeed.

This is the black eye on the black eye of the steroid era... There hasn't been a "clean era" in baseball. Widespread use of spit, slime etc. long survived its official prohibition and the breadth of use of amphetamines is something seemingly ignored by most critics of the steroid era. Kids, this ain't nothing new.

S
Well said, dirty baby eater! :clap:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Tigers fans aren't all scumbags like you it seems. ;)

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like the AL Central and NL West are the only interesting battles to watch at this point. The wild card team isn't coming from either division, so the struggle for first place takes on old time baseball dimensions (no I don't know what that phrase means!).

I'm happy with all the standings at the moment (with the exception of the beer makers in the NL Central), but my Tigers just can't seem to put any distance between themselves and Cleveland/Chicago.

I wouldn't mind losing to the Indians...well I would mind but I could accept it. But to lose the division to bleached hosery would rend my soul. I hate Chicago. I hate them. It's them I hate. Hate is what I feel for them. Chicago deserves hate.

I can't carry my Glock pistol in Chicago because their corrupt politicians are totalitarian commies who willfully ignore the U.S. Constitution. And their loud-mouthed manager's behavior reminds me too much of myself on this forum...which requires a level of introspection I'd rather not dwell upon. So SCREW CHICAGO!!! I hope the terrorists nuke it...while the bleached hosery is playing the Yankees. Gimme a two-for Haji!!!

The Tigers already fired their pitching coach mid-season. But this new one can't get them going either. These are good pitchers pitching way below their ability. With the exception of Verlander and Valverde our staff has flubbed it.

We need more ptichers whose names start with "V"... "V" for Victory! :vsign:

Last edited:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Tigers already fired their pitching coach mid-season. But this new one can't get them going either. These are good pitchers pitching way below their ability. With the exception of Verlander and Valverde our staff has flubbed it.
How's Fister working out for you? Always figured he was just okay and benefited greatly from the pitcher friendly Safeco Field. We love the guys we got for him. The M's offense has flat-lined but Casper Wells has hit a home run in four straight games.

Last edited:

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How's Fister working out for you? Always figured he was just okay and benefited greatly from the pitcher friendly Safeco Field. We love the guys we got for him. The M's offense has flat-lined but Casper Wells has hit a home run in four straight games.
Fister pitched a GREAT game for us tonight, giving up only one run in 7+ innings. He struck out a lot of guys too.

Behind Fister's pitching besting Cleveland tonight, we climbed to 3.5 games ahead of them. Although we can't get too excited yet because we've got something like twelve more games to play aginst them, including the final series of the season.

Looked at the baseball standings and our division is UGLY. The Tigers have the worst record for a first place team, and we've given up exactly as many runs as we've scored all year.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Tigers swept the Indians today, so that gives us some breathing room.

The Sports Talk guys are raving about Leyland's genius for not pitching Verlander and giving him an extra days rest. But not me. The way I see it, winning by one run, giving up 7 runs to Cleveland, and we still could've lost if it wasn't for a great throw from center field to home to get the tagging runner in the 9th...isn't a result good pitching choices. It's a lucky break. We got lucky. Verlander should have pitched that game.

We've got a lot of games left against Cleveland, so I'm not comfortable yet. Especially since we can't win at their ballpark. Anybody know offhand how many of the remaining Tigers/Indians games are at Cleveland?

Another word about this disgusting "defensive indifference" I see all the time now. Cleveland had a guy at first and third. The guy at first was the go-ahead run. And the idiots LET THE GUY GO TO SECOND with defensive indifference...allowing the go-ahead run to get into SCORING POSITION! And our catcher has a good arm too! Mind-boggling. Why have walks or singles at all? Everybody just go to second on every play. It makes me want to puke! :mad:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The Tigers swept the Indians today, so that gives us some breathing room.

The Sports Talk guys are raving about Leyland's genius for not pitching Verlander and giving him an extra days rest. But not me. The way I see it, winning by one run, giving up 7 runs to Cleveland, and we still could've lost if it wasn't for a great throw from center field to home to get the tagging runner in the 9th...isn't a result good pitching choices. It's a lucky break. We got lucky. Verlander should have pitched that game.

We've got a lot of games left against Cleveland, so I'm not comfortable yet. Especially since we can't win at their ballpark. Anybody know offhand how many of the remaining Tigers/Indians games are at Cleveland?

Another word about this disgusting "defensive indifference" I see all the time now. Cleveland had a guy at first and third. The guy at first was the go-ahead run. And the idiots LET THE GUY GO TO SECOND with defensive indifference...allowing the go-ahead run to get into SCORING POSITION! And our catcher has a good arm too! Mind-boggling. Why have walks or singles at all? Everybody just go to second on every play. It makes me want to puke! :mad:
Awesome throw by Jackson! :coolban:

I don't like the DI change either. What constitutes DI anyway? Is it only in the last inning? If the catcher doesn't make a throw then you can throw out another 25% of the steals also. A SB is a SB whether the defense chooses not to defend it. :(

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
point well taken

:smoke::smoke::smoke:

View attachment 34169

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome throw by Jackson! :coolban:

I don't like the DI change either. What constitutes DI anyway? Is it only in the last inning? If the catcher doesn't make a throw then you can throw out another 25% of the steals also.
A SB is a SB whether the defense chooses not to defend it. :(
What kind of crap is dat? :mad: