Baseball Thread, 2011

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Figured I'd start this one since the All Star break is over, and that's when we really find out what teams are made of.

Looks like my Detroit Tigers (Best name) are gonna win it all this year. :whist:

Too bad about Cleveland Indians (cool name). Maybe if they didn't need to rely so much on Choo Choo and Sizemore they might have had a chance.

I pick the Texas Rangers (o.k. name) in the AL West. And Boston Red Sox (dumb name) in the East.

In the National League I'm rooting for the Pittsburg Pirates (Cool Name), and the Arizona Diamondbacks (o.k. name). I don't care much for the Phillies (gay name), but I have to admit their pitching staff is superhuman.

Teams I hate:

White Sox (dumb name), hate their manager.

Twins (dumb name), hated them since before I was born!

Yankees (o.k. name), they think they're so great they make me puke.

Angels (gay name), changing to "L.A" was a stupid joke.

Brewers (idiotic name), they're inept.

Mets (dumb name), they don't deserve squat. And their mascot's moronic.

Cubs (dumb name), I don't care how sorry I'm supposed to feel for them, I never liked them.

So yeah, I don't like teams from Chicago and new York, and I think there are a lot of dumb team names in baseball.

What do you think? :shy:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FWIW, Choo & Grady have been pretty weak this year. While their loss hurts in that we expected them to get better & the guys behind them are far worse than even their mediocre performance this season, neither were having even average years this season prior to getting hurt. The Indians have not been overachieving due to either Shin-Soo or Sizemore...

Bad names:
* Dodgers - it was fine in Brooklyn, but when's the last time you saw a Trolley in LA? Much less dodged one.
* Los Angeles Angels of Aneheim - self explanatory.

And say what you will about Ozzie Guillen, he's colorful and entertaining at least...

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Angeles Angels of Aneheim - self explanatory.

And say what you will about Ozzie Guillen, he's colorful and entertaining at least...
...and has done less to wear out his welcome than Ken Williams, though not by much. 2005 was a long time ago now and KW and Ozzir have proved it was lightning in a bottle, not a program. The selloff started (rightly) today, but KW needs to be part of it.

Cubs: "Look, we're not bears, we're baby bears. Only threatening when momma shows up."

Though being named after (mis-spelled) hosiery is a bit lame, too, I admit.

S

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cubs: "Look, we're not bears, we're baby bears. Only threatening when momma shows up."
Seems about right for the Cubs since '45. Just took 'em awhile to grow into their name. :devious:

The "X" in Sox makes it cool! :(

I'd always thought Ken Williams was a bozo GM, consider the World Series a nut and Ken the Blind Squirrel. As an Indians fan though, it's nice to see the biggest market team in the division run poorly...

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a Mariners fan. Not much to say after that.

Go NFL! Go Steelers! Go fantasy football.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I'd always thought Ken Williams was a bozo GM, consider the World Series a nut and Ken the Blind Squirrel. As an Indians fan though, it's nice to see the biggest market team in the division run poorly...
He certainly seemed to wask the bozo/savant line for awhile, but has confirmed his bozanity in these later days.

S

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Figured I'd start this one since the All Star break is over, and that's when we really find out what teams are made of.

Boston Red Sox win the World Series.

Teams I hate:

Yankees (name sux), they think they're so great they make me puke.

Had to edit your posting to the CORRECT way I see the baseball season ending....

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Looks like my Detroit Tigers (Best name) are gonna win it all this year. :whist:

Too bad about Cleveland Indians (cool name). Maybe if they didn't need to rely so much on Choo Choo and Sizemore they might have had a chance.

I pick the Texas Rangers (o.k. name) in the AL West. And Boston Red Sox (dumb name) in the East.

In the National League I'm rooting for the Pittsburg Pirates (Cool Name), and the Arizona Diamondbacks (o.k. name). I don't care much for the Phillies (gay name), but I have to admit their pitching staff is superhuman.

Teams I hate:

Cubs (dumb name), I don't care how sorry I'm supposed to feel for them, I never liked them.

So yeah, I don't like teams from Chicago and new York, and I think there are a lot of dumb team names in baseball.

All I can say is 4 out of 6 since the break vs. your team. :)

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All I can say is 4 out of 6 since the break vs. your team. :)
Yes, losing that series this week really bugged me. A sweep would've knocked you guys back a comfortable distance. Instead we've got you breathing down our necks again. :(

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States

Teams I hate:

I think Honus Wagner owned Ty Cobb in the 09 series! Just a bit before I wa.. Err, my Grandfather was born.

I think your Tigers might just pull it off this year. Jim Leyland is a GREAT manager.

I agree about the Phillies name....

I think the Pirates 18 year losing streak is the longest in ALL sports. :curse:

I think the Brewers need to go back to the AL.

I hate the DH rule.

I hate interleage play.

I hate Atlanta and that silly Tomahawk Chop.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Honus Wagner owned Ty Cobb in the 09 series! Just a bit before I wa.. Err, my Grandfather was born.

I think your Tigers might just pull it off this year. Jim Leyland is a GREAT manager.

I agree about the Phillies name....

I think the Pirates 18 year losing streak is the longest in ALL sports. :curse:

I think the Brewers need to go back to the AL.

I hate the DH rule.

I hate interleage play.

I hate Atlanta and that silly Tomahawk Chop.
All this from a man that built his sand castle and painted it red along the banks of the Allegheny River.....

Oh well....

One correction, the CUBS haven't won the World Series in almost 100 years, so quit complaining about your Bucs not having one the Series since the "Age of Disco"..... (I always hated that stupid song anyways).....

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the cubs hold the record. 100+ years and counting since their last pennant.
False. Pennant is NL or AL. They won the NL in 1945, a mere 66 years ago. :devious:

S
OK wise guy, 100 + years since their last championship. Better? I'm so glad I didn't vote for you in the other thread. :)

They still qualify as GLOAT. Sorry Sam, had to borrow it.

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
OK wise guy, 100 + years since their last championship. Better? I'm so glad I didn't vote for you in the other thread. :)

They still qualify as GLOAT. Sorry Sam, had to borrow it.
Insult disguised as defense.... Your South Side Heart should be happy...maliciously happy! :laugh:

S

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Pirates 18 year streak, longest in sports, is for not having a WINNING RECORD. We're not talking about winning it all. Just winning more than they lose. Not sucking for just 1 year. It's the curse of Barry Bonds. Ever since they chose Andy Van Slyke over Barry, the Pirates haven't been above .500...Until now of course.

Cubs haven't won the World Series since 1908 when "Tinkers to Evers to Chance" was all the rage, but have won a Division "Championship" recently. During the 18 year Pirate run of ineptitude, the hapless Cubs have had 9 winning seasons and made the Playoffs 4 times.