Baseball Thread, 2011

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GREAT weekend of Baseball....

Fight on the Diamond on Friday, CC Sabathia gets beaten by Boston AND its only Sunday morning....

Another GREAT day for BASEBALL......

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
If it takes another 3-5 years for them to break 81 wins, then something drastic needs to be done. 20-25 years of not even a .500 record is an embarrassment to MLB and not good for the league.

Peace

roger
The Pirates are in freefall and coming apart (Expected) It looks like they'll likely not finish over .500. Face it the Pirates are a poorly run organization. The ownership puts crap on the field year after year and because of PNC Park they make money hand over fist. Take Andrew McCtchen for example. When his contract nears the end they'll sell him off instead of paying him. I think the Pirates Total Payroll covers maybe 3 Yankee players yearly.

Baseball IMO is the greatest of all sports, but is ruined because MLB will never place a Salary Cap System like the NFL and the NHL. Those leagues I believe have a bottom cap as well forcing teams to spend at least X. So long as theres no cap in place Small market teams like the Pirates are nothing better than a farm team for the Big Markets. Of course theres the occasional fuke here and there. The Pirates being in first place the last week of July was just that.... A Fluke.

A few Years ago I read the Lemieux Group made an offer to purchase the Bucs. too bad that deal didn't happen. That would have been a positive step.

Ah well, thank god for football and Hockey.

Last edited:

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Chicago White sox are really starting to tick me off. First they sweep the twins, and then they win tonight too? Enough already! :angry:

Today the Tiger's big series with the Indians begins. We've got to stomp 'em now! Can't let them back in it. This is our chance to really put a lock on first place. :popc1:

If Leyland gives Verlander an extra day's rest I'll kill him. Just kill him! He must pitch to Cleveland twice! :freak:

The Giants/Diamondbacks race looks interesting. I'm watching the standings there closely.

I'm also watching to see if the Rangers can stay ahead of the Gayngels. I sure hope so. :shy:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
The Chicago White sox are really starting to tick me off. First they sweep the twins, and then they win tonight too? Enough already! :angry:
Funny...they're ticking me off, too. I don't like being teased. I wouldn't worry. :rolleyes:

S

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Detroit would be interesting to watch in the playoffs, especially with the stretched out schedule for TV ratings, Verlander might pitch in games 1, 4 & 7.

I thought my WhiteSox were dead after that Yankee beat down. But Ozzie the Clown finally has permission to bench Dunn vs LHP (.038 BA against) and is playing utility man Lillibridge at 1st now that Konerko is limited to a severe contusion on his knee.

Speaking of Dunn, what is the worst contract currently in baseball and what was the worst contract of all time?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Off the top of my head the Dodgers paying Andrew Jones was a bad contract, the Rangers and A-Rod set them back 5 years and the Yankees giving AJ Burnett a big contract was another one of their misses. I don't know how much longer the Dodgers will be paying for Manny, but I think it will be for a few more years.

The Yankees giving an aging Jeter a long contract will be a mistake as he's fading. Anyone of the Mets recent big contracts have all been pretty much been busts, especially if they decide to give Reyes another big one. The Nationals way overpaid for Wirth.

My Mariners giving Figgins a big contract was a poor decision, as well as, over paying Ichiro who is fading fast.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought my WhiteSox were dead after that Yankee beat down. But Ozzie the Clown finally has permission to bench Dunn vs LHP (.038 BA against)
They won again tonight. That's a six game winning streak!

I admit I was one of those who agreed with the local sports media when they were lobbying to get Dunn to the Tigers. Boy did we dodge a bullet. Detroit fans were pretty depressed when Dunn's trade to Chicago was announced last winter.

It's now 1:20 A.M. and the Tigers/Indians game is heading to the bottom of the thirteenth inning in a 2-2 tie. No runs scored since the second. I'll stay up as long as it takes. I really want this win to keep the White Sox and Indians both five games back. :)

Man do I love baseball! :joy:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
They won again tonight. That's a six game winning streak!

I admit I was one of those who agreed with the local sports media when they were lobbying to get Dunn to the Tigers. Boy did we dodge a bullet. Detroit fans were pretty depressed when Dunn's trade to Chicago was announced last winter.

It's now 1:20 A.M. and the Tigers/Indians game is heading to the bottom of the thirteenth inning in a 2-2 tie. No runs scored since the second. I'll stay up as long as it takes. I really want this win to keep the White Sox and Indians both five games back. :)

Man do I love baseball! :joy:
You can go to bad now, dufus! Plunked Fukudome with the bases loaded. :D

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We lost!!!!:mad:

On a walk-off hit batter with the bases loaded! Who hits a batter with the bases loaded?! What kind of crap is that?! :blab:

Twelve straight loses at Progressive Field! I hate this stupid freakin' game! :freak:

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
We lost!!!!:mad:

On a walk-off hit batter with the bases loaded! Who hits a batter with the bases loaded?! What kind of crap is that?! :blab:

Twelve straight loses at Progressive Field! I hate this stupid freakin' game! :freak:
How about a game of chess Dr. Falken?

No! Let's play Global Thermonuclear War!

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Struck today by the striking similarity between Major League Baseball and Test Cricket:

Grown men playing bat and ball in ridiculous clothes on TV while millions are enthralled (though many can't figure out why)...

...and the Indians are terrible.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...the Rangers and A-Rod set them back 5 years...
I don't think the contract the Rangers gave ARod was a bad one. He was the best player in baseball for them & his contract did not hamstring their organization. They still had a ton of cash to spend on players that weren't ARod - IIRC their non-ARod salaries were like 5th highest in baseball. i.e. they started with the best player in baseball AND paid a lot of cash to the other 24 guys.

Now the Rangers spent stupidly - I'm looking at you Chan Ho Park (want to talk about a bad contract - that's an all-timer - $64M for 5 years and his BEST year was a 5.46 ERA) - but ARod wasn't the GM so that's not his fault. It's also not his fault that the Rangers paid him to be a Yankee and took a stiff like Rafael Soriano in return. So they had all the cost of ARod w/o the good play. Genius! But again that's not ARod's fault - that's dumb management. The ONLY smart thing the Rangers did frankly was signing ARod...

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cleveland and Chicago gain more ground on Detroit when they DON'T play than when they do!

Good to see Arizona in first, and Texas pad their lead a bit.

Tigers picked up outfielder Young today and he hit a homer in his first at bat with Detroit!

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm always amazed at how much lift a well hit ball can have in such a short distance. Looking at that pic you'd almost think he was about to miss it rather than taking it downtown.

Congrats to Jimmy - amazing he got to 600. Only the 8th ever, and perhaps only the 5th ever to do it "clean". It was great fun watching him come up with the Indians and develop as a hitter in the '90s. Always one of my faves...