Baseball Thread, 2011

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow! The Tigers lose to an extra-inning walk-off grand slam?! OUCH!

We'd better win tonight or it's gonna be scary/hopeless. I'm a big Tigers fan. But I'm not gonna sit here and tell you they can win four in a row against the Rangers in the post season.

We can come back from 2-0. But probably not from 3-0. So tonight's game could basically decide the series.

I find myself rooting for the Cardinals. In terms of my Theory of Team's Names a Brewer is a guy who eats, sleeps, and goes about his business pretty much like all of us.

But a Cardinal is a little raptor with a cool haircut. The thing's mean, beady little black eyes are utterly heartless. It kills things with it's face! It stabs them with it's sharp beak and rends them with it's tiny talons. We're all damn lucky the things aren't ten feet tall!

Brewers don't kill anything. Theye're docile. They just eat pizza. Now a Brewer who went psycho and started slaughtering people with an AK47 would inspire some fear and respect. But the team doesn't seem to want to project this image.

So the Cardinals get the nod.
Cardinals eat freakin' seeds....Brewers Make sweet nectar from Plants and crap....Tigers eat Brewers and chirpy little birds. But it don't matter cause:

Steely-eyed, rough-ridin' RANGERS hunt'em all down and shoot'em in their pointy, or puffy, or toothy FACES.

GO RANGERS!

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cardinals eat freakin' seeds....Brewers Make sweet nectar from Plants and crap....Tigers eat Brewers and chirpy little birds. But it don't matter cause:

Steely-eyed, rough-ridin' RANGERS hunt'em all down and shoot'em in their pointy, or puffy, or toothy FACES.

GO RANGERS!
Nolan Ryan has caught lightning in a bottle. The Rangers could always pound the ball, but their pitching always sucked. Now they have decent starting pitching with an incredible bullpen... and of course, they still pound it.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tigers win tonight!

The Rangers' big, scary guns were nowhere to be found.

Verlander will pitch again for sure this series in Detroit! :headbang:

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tigers win tonight!

Three double plays in the first three innings to stop the rolling....still behind a game in the series.
That first inning must've had you sweating. ;)

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tigers win tonight!

I'm hoping for a Cards-Tigers rematch from '06. Perhaps the Tiger's pitchers have practiced their fielding over the last 5 years. :D

I didn't even know there was a MLB team called the "Rangers" until this post-season. Are they a recent expansion team?

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm hoping for a Cards-Tigers rematch from '06. Perhaps the Tiger's pitchers have practiced their fielding over the last 5 years. :D

I didn't even know there was a MLB team called the "Rangers" until this post-season. Are they a recent expansion team?
Go back to field hockey, noob! ;)

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Go back to field hockey, noob! ;)
I know. I looked the "Rangers" up on Wiki. I had no idea. They have even won a pennant. Amazing!

And i found out they have their own Hall of Fame which includes such baseball immortals as Charlie Hough, Ruben Sierra and some guy named Rusty Greer. Blows away the Tigers with such average guys like Ty Cobb, Hank Greenberg and Al Kaline and the Cardinals Bob Gibson, Rogers Hornsby, and Stan Musial.

Very impressive those Texas Rangers! :laugh:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I know. I looked the "Rangers" up on Wiki. I had no idea. They have even won a pennant. Amazing!

And i found out they have their own Hall of Fame which includes such baseball immortals as Charlie Hough, Ruben Sierra and some guy named Rusty Greer. Blows away the Tigers with such average guys like Ty Cobb, Hank Greenberg and Al Kaline and the Cardinals Bob Gibson, Rogers Hornsby, and Stan Musial.

Don't forget Chuck Norris, dufus! :angry:

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

You're living in the past...the same place these Tigers are gonna be in a couple of games.

Ty Cobb? Hall of shame candidate for sure. ;)

You seem to have forgotten Nolan Ryan, Ferguson Jenkins, Toby Harrah, Jim Sundberg, Buddy Bell and John Wetteland?

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're living in the past...the same place these Tigers are gonna be in a couple of games.

Ty Cobb? Hall of shame candidate for sure. ;)

You seem to have forgotten Nolan Ryan, Ferguson Jenkins, Toby Harrah, Jim Sundberg, Buddy Bell and John Wetteland?
You're hanging your hat on...John Wetteland? Toby Harrah? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: THAT is all kinds of awsome!

And Fergie was a Cub, Ryan was more an Astro, Angel, or Met. But then again, i guess the Rangers have to try and claim SOME good players. :smoke:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
The CliffsNotes version of any argument with a Texan:

Texan: "Texan whatever is better. <Evidence>"

Non-Texan: "No it's really not. <Evidence>"

Repeat until the Non-Texan gets bored and goes away.

:p

S

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

S
ERRATA: Replace "Repeat until the Non-Texan gets bored and goes away." with "Texan draws gun and shoots non-Texan. Jury acquits."

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
ERRATA: Replace "Repeat until the Non-Texan gets bored and goes away." with "Texan draws gun and shoots non-Texan. Jury acquits."
"Texan Jury acquits." :devious:

Don't get me wrong, I generally like Texans, but they suffer from this disease as badly as any non-Canadians I've ever met... :bite:

S

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

S
Lookin' for my Hawg Leg!

I didn't bring up all those long dead, washed up relics in some feeble penis-to-table throwdown attempt to justify a CURRENT matchup. The Rangers have talent on their team, I'm a fan....and they are gonna kick some motor city ass.

Now slink back off to your glorified figure-skating pastime. ;)

P.S. This is all in good fun. If, by some unfathomably tragic occurrence, the Rangers happen to lose to the Tigers I will be rooting for the Tigers in the Series.

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Lookin' for my Hawg Leg!

I didn't bring up all those long dead, washed up relics in some feeble penis-to-table throwdown attempt to justify a CURRENT matchup. The Rangers have talent on their team, I'm a fan....and they are gonna kick some motor city ass.

Now slink back off to your glorified figure-skating pastime. ;)
:laugh: Hey, I'm a White Sox fan. I got no dog in this hunt. Just glad it ain't New York vs. California! :bite:

And I think I will watch my Blackhawks tomorrow night. Good idea.

S