Baseball Thread, 2011

Rockford

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Disgraceful Rainout Scandal!

The way the rainout was handled in New Jerk tonight was disgraceful!

How do you keep the best pitcher in baseball from pitching two games in the series?
Best pitcher in baseball? Cliff Lee didn't get rained out last night. What are you talking about?

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Best pitcher in baseball? Cliff Lee didn't get rained out last night. What are you talking about?
Cliff Lee isn't even the best pitcher on his team.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I tend to agree that MLB was really dumb for the way they handled the rain in NY. They should have never played and having a rained out game count is even dumber.

Although I do wonder why the Tigers didn't start a reliever? If it was that obvious they were going to get the game in, why not start a reliever who can go an inning or two which is the most you think you're going to play and then you have Verlander ready today instead of Sunday. If he goes today with the Yankees having burned CC, the Tigers now have an advantage in the series as Justin could theoretically throw on 3 days rest in game 5 still.

I think MLB screwed the Tigers, but a little gamesmanship on their part could have given them some advantage back. So why didn't the Tiggers think outside the box a little there?

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I tend to agree that MLB was really dumb for the way they handled the rain in NY. They should have never played and having a rained out game count is even dumber.

Although I do wonder why the Tigers didn't start a reliever? If it was that obvious they were going to get the game in, why not start a reliever who can go an inning or two which is the most you think you're going to play and then you have Verlander ready today instead of Sunday. If he goes today with the Yankees having burned CC, the Tigers now have an advantage in the series as Justin could theoretically throw on 3 days rest in game 5 still.

I think MLB screwed the Tigers, but a little gamesmanship on their part could have given them some advantage back. So why didn't the Tiggers think outside the box a little there?
I could not agree more. Leyland must have been smoking the real deal before the game.

Rich

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm wondering if the Yankees won't regret knocking off Tampa Bay when they had the chance. TB has the look of one of those hard charging wild card teams that gathers momentum and uses it to cruise to the World Series. Boston was done and would have been a piece of cake for Texas. Now TB is giving Texas a run for their money.

So I'm thinking it will be Phillies and the Rays. It just has that feel. If the Rays get a long lay off then they will cool down and be cooled down by the Phillie pitching, but if they step into the WS after a long tough series then it's anybodies series.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ohhhh...my aching head. :whlchr::sneak:

This world is not right. :kotz:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm wondering if the Yankees won't regret knocking off Tampa Bay when they had the chance. TB has the look of one of those hard charging wild card teams that gathers momentum and uses it to cruise to the World Series. Boston was done and would have been a piece of cake for Texas. Now TB is giving Texas a run for their money.

So I'm thinking it will be Phillies and the Rays. It just has that feel. If the Rays get a long lay off then they will cool down and be cooled down by the Phillie pitching, but if they step into the WS after a long tough series then it's anybodies series.
I'll still be happy as long as they knocked out the Sux. ;)

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, after sitting on the edge of my chair, the Tigers tie the series 1 game each.

Let's hope history repeats itself. REGULAR season the Yankees weren't so good against the Tigers (1-6? If my memory serves me right)

So we'll see what we see....

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
TB is out. After game 1 I thought their bats would be there and the pitching was going to shut down TEX. Game 2 bats were still there but no pitching. Games 3 & 4 bats disappeared and pitching was only so so. I'm happy for TEX. :thumup:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TB is out. After game 1 I thought their bats would be there and the pitching was going to shut down TEX. Game 2 bats were still there but no pitching. Games 3 & 4 bats disappeared and pitching was only so so. I'm happy for TEX. :thumup:
There goes my prediction of the Rays in the World Series....

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gotta give A.J. Burnett credit. With the season on the line he shut down the Tigers in their own park.

Looks I'm watching game five at ASLOK! :toast:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Gotta give A.J. Burnett credit. With the season on the line he shut down the Tigers in their own park.

I thought you guys would surely beat Always Jumpy Burnett. ;)

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Give credit to Granderson as well. He doesn't make that stunner in left center and Detroit scores a bunch early, I could easily see Burnett melting down.

:skull:

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

It would be cool if Arizona is in game five on Friday.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to agree with glennbo's point back upthread. Taht agne Friday never shoudl ahve been satretd given the forecast. Losing verlander will kill the Tigers and propel teh Yankees inot teh next round - and probably ebyond. if they ahd to see Verlander twice - i think the Ynakess would have fallen, but now I think they win Game 5 in the Bronx behind Nova. I furtehr strngly suspect that Texas lacks the pitching and the Yankees will coast to teh World Series.

Here's a Met fan, rooting hard for the Phillies. Go Phils go - no one else will stop the Yanks.

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to agree with glennbo's point back upthread. Taht agne Friday never shoudl ahve been satretd given the forecast. Losing verlander will kill the Tigers and propel teh Yankees inot teh next round - and probably ebyond. if they ahd to see Verlander twice - i think the Ynakess would have fallen, but now I think they win Game 5 in the Bronx behind Nova. I furtehr strngly suspect that Texas lacks the pitching and the Yankees will coast to teh World Series.

Here's a Met fan, rooting hard for the Phillies. Go Phils go - no one else will stop the Yanks.
Scott???