barbed wire fences

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
where can I find the rules covering barbed wire fences? I thought they were in KGP, if so I dont have it and I am getting ready to play the Stonne Heights. could someone send me the rules? thanks

addendum: thanks in advance but I was able to locate the rules by looking through some past posts on the subject ...

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
where can I find the rules covering barbed wire fences? I thought they were in KGP, if so I dont have it and I am getting ready to play the Stonne Heights. could someone send me the rules? thanks
Unfortunately they were in one of the KGP, KGP I, I think.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've seen them somewhere elsecrecently....msybe one of the LC CGs or Operation Schmidt?
They are way more complex than need be.
Basically it costs you a extra
mf to cross a fence but an mmc can go ti to remove this for other units.
AFV can cross costing an extra 1 and s bog check. Bog on a 12.
That's all I can recall.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oops, no extra cost for a vehicle just a big.

3.1 A barbed-wire fence is depicted by a series of small black Xs overlaying a hexside (EX: StC20-D20; ChB3-B4). Barbed wire is neither an obstacle nor a Hindrance, provides no TEM, does not negate the FFMO/FFNAM DRM, and cannot be Cleared or eliminated in any way.5

3.2 MF COST: Infantry must pay one MF + COT to cross a barbed-wire-fence hexside, unless using Armored Assault or moving within a trench or tunnel (in which case only the COT applies). The cost for Cavalry is two MF + COT. No Wagon, ridden bicycle, Infantry on skis, or currently-CX Infantry/Cavalry/horse may cross a barbed-wire-fence hexside. All barbed-wire-fence hexside MF costs are doubled at night. A Straying unit required, but unable, to cross a barbed-wire-fence hexside becomes TI instead.

3.21 TEMPORARY BREACH:
A non-Straying, Good Order Infantry MMC neither beneath an Entrenchment/Pillbox nor above a Wire counter may create a temporary breach in one barbed-wire-fence hex-side of its hex by expending two MF in its MPh while at ground level in (but not IN) that hex. Place the top edge of the MMC counter over the selected barbed-wire-fence hexside and mark the unit TI. For as long as that MMC remains TI, unpinned and in Good Order, it is considered to be using Hazardous Movement but that hexside's barbed-wire cost for Infantry [EXC: if broken, berserk, Man-handling, or part of a Human Wave] becomes ½MF. (A vehicle crossing that hexside would still be subject to Bog as per P3.3, but would not affect that hexside's temporarily-breached status.) Creating a temporary breach in barbed wire is a concealment-loss activity (A12.141).

3.3 MP COST & BOG: Barbed wire has no effect on MP costs; however, no motorcycle may cross a barbed-wire-fence hexside. Each vehicle that enters a new hex by crossing a barbed-wire-fence hexside must undergo a Bog DR, in addition to any other Bog Check required for entry of the Location. If it Bogs, it is left in the hex it was attempting to enter. (If it Bogs twice, due to both crossing a barbed-wire-fence hexside and other terrain in the hex, mark it with a Mired - not a Bog - counter.) The only DRM that can apply to a barbed-wire Bog Check are:
Barbed Wire Bog CheckMODIFIERResult

+ 1​
Vehicle is not fully-tracked​
+ 2​
Vehicle has Truck-type MP expenditure​

3.4 BYPASS: The barbed-wire-fence artwork (i.e., the small black Xs) along such a hexside has no effect on a unit's normal ability (if any) to Bypass along that hexside.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
They are also in Operation Veritable.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder why something like Light/Medium /Heavy Wire doesn't exist in the game. Like the various degrees of Minefields or Foxholes, it seems physically obvious what those would represent, and the relative movement costs shouldn't be hard to implement.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
When for a moment I glanced over the threads I thought I'd read as the thread title for this one:

barbed wire feces

I thought WTF?!
A new sort of hellish contraption?
An insidious SSR?
Booby Traps gone out of control?
Fate now REALLY sh***ing on you?

Glad this 'bad dream' only lasted for an unnerving fraction of a second.
Man, ASL is dangerous to your mind... o_O

von Marwitz

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder why something like Light/Medium /Heavy Wire doesn't exist in the game. Like the various degrees of Minefields or Foxholes, it seems physically obvious what those would represent, and the relative movement costs shouldn't be hard to implement.
AP 104 Link Up has an SSR for "light wire".

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Classification based upon height of top wire string:
Light < 18.1 inches (0.46m)
Medium > 18.1 inches (0.46m) but < 54.3 inches (1.38m)
Heavy > 54.4 inches (1.38m)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Classification based upon height of top wire string:
Light < 18.1 inches (0.46m)
Medium > 18.1 inches (0.46m) but < 54.3 inches (1.38m)
Heavy > 54.4 inches (1.38m)
Although tall barbed wire is more dramatic, I would think I would prefer a defense that has thickness rather than height:

In moderately high grass this would be hidden and not easily crossed.

JR

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Although tall barbed wire is more dramatic, I would think I would prefer a defense that has thickness rather than height:

In moderately high grass this would be hidden and not easily crossed.

JR
That is not a wire fence, that is wire obstacle, or WIRE in the game.