Banzai!! 25.1 is now available for download

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The newsletter of Texas ASL Banzai!! 25.1 is now available for free download! Welcome back to another edition of our newsletter. Matt Shostak gives us a his usual insightful scenario analyses of a couple of Crucible of Steel scenarios, Early Morning Action [BFP-90] and Knife in the Flank [BFP-103]. We have a few of the local grognards share their war stories. We also asked folks to provide their input on what they would like to see in new ASL products. We continue with Part III of Peter Di Cioccio's SK series with Novices on the Attack, and we present another great SK Corner article from Kevin Boles. I give a rundown of the upcoming 28th Annual Texas Team Tournament. All that and more await you in this issue of Banzai!! Thanks to everyone who submitted material for this issue. Without you we can not publish, so keep those articles coming! We hope you'll enjoy it.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kudos on another excellent issue of Banzai!! I especially enjoyed the 'Ask The Grognards' article and the contributor's suggestions for future ASL products.
A few proposals which I agree with and/or found interesting....

Allen King:
I too would like to see more 'variety' in certain scenario conditions such as unique weather (wind, rain, mud?), more Air Support, etc., just more variety in general, whether the scenario is 'tourney size' or larger.

Jim Ferrell:
The suggestion for actions based on the large west Ukraine tank battles of June-July 1941 sounds exciting. I would love to playtest any of these if it ever goes in to development. For some reason, I have a fascination with the early war Soviet AFV's.

Ross Zarzecki:
I wholeheartedly agree with Ross' views on HASL themes. To this I would add that its about time for a good DTO HASL, perhaps something based in Tunisia or second Alamein? In ASL terms, certain aspects of second Alamein appear to be similar the scenarios which I am currently playing and enjoying in OtO 2. Great point regarding the Michigan and Wisconsin National Guard and the over abundance of Waffen SS scenarios.

John Hyler:
John's suggestion regarding the repair of "broken" AFV MA is interesting, and in general, I am in favor of any SSR which dilutes some of the 'gamey' aspects of ASL.

Sam Tyson:
My favorite scenarios are those with combined arms (especially for both sides) and new terrain types which take me out of my ASL 'comfort zone'. I am so DONE with certain geo boards, especially boards 1 through 5. I appreciate alternate map designs such as the 'Fort boards' and BFP's double wide boards, all of which add some much needed variety to the 'standard' format geo boards.

Matt Shostak:
Amen on the larger hex sizes. I realize that this cannot always be incorporated in many of the large, 'open field' or DTO scenarios although BFP has done an excellent job with their OtO 2 HASL map.

To all of the above I would add my personal 'Grognard' suggestions...
I would appreciate and love to play or play test any future HASL's which are 'open field' in nature, such as Crucible of Steel, OtO 2, Hatten in Flames, Smith's Ridge, etc., and ESPECIALLY something new for the DTO and/or PTO. I've been rather disinterested in 'urban terrain' scenarios for some years now, that is until the release of Festung Budapest and LFT's 'Fight for Seoul'. The combination of unique, hilly urban terrain produced upon beautiful, historically accurate maps has been a very enjoyable experience. To which I would add, I am very interested in anything regarding the Korean War. This conflict wasn't mentioned in this article, however for me personally, the incorporation of Forgotten War, Fight for Seoul, and the Schwerpunkt Korea scenario packs in to the ASL system has in my opinion, added some much appreciated variety to our game.

As always, thank you all for another great issue of Banzai, and a most enjoyable article.