Baldric, I have a cunning plan...

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, this is going to be a running DAR/AAR of the PBEM match between myself and Gary.

I am CIS and Gary is the U.S. Forces.
Scenario #4
His mission is to adavance north to several objectives while mine is scarcely more than Holding the line.

We are currently on turn 7. Once I organize my notes, I will update this section every five moves or unless something interesting happens.

Red

Reaction score
Country
llIsrael
Excellent. :)

Please include lots of screenshots, Im realy interested in seeing some.

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome honored guests to the fourth symposium on the Revolution in Military Affairs. Let me introduce our speaker, Doctor Lawrence Durand….

(Applause)

“Good evening Officers. In retrospect, the events which lead to what has historically been called the “Horror of Hotot” have been deeply studied for some time. But, in light of the new information we have, namely, the last words of Commander Tiberius Konev in the form of a CD-R found in the wreckage of the village only last month… has opened up a new understanding of both the character and nature of the forces involved in what was a very bloody and costly engagement. So without further delay, I will share with you now, for the first time its contents… Start the slides please…”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commander's Notes

CIS 32nd Motor Rifle Brigade,

The American forces have chosen the point of battle outside of a small town the residents call Hotot-en-Auge. Their decision to advance north will likely take place with little reconnaissance. Instead I expect that they shall use their armored forces, numbering at least 7 squads, to create a fast and powerful thrust in and around the village.

My soldiers are tired, undersupplied and uncertain. In my disadvantage I count these three factors.

1- Superior range of the enemy’s heavy weapons.

2- Superior firepower, I have neither CAS or artillery while the American’s have both in an abundance matching their capitalist fervor.

3- My force morale is wavering, C3 factors heavily into this. I have found it difficult to maintain contact with at least 15% of my forces at any given time.

My plans must diminish such disadvantages... but then, ever since Hitler's bandits paid my grandfathers a visit outside Stalingrad- we have fought under such conditions have we not?

My first consideration then, is to close the gap between myself and the American’s longest ranged weapon systems. This means the M1-Abrams. Without any air support to blunt the tip of his spear, I must fight those tanks only when it is at close range and without fear of reprisal against my meager 4 platoons of T-80’s. A few of those Scrap-Coffins have broken down once already in the first minute of our battle.

Local topography shows that the town of
Hotot-en-Auge rests upon a well elevated location. If I can send an advance line of troops to infest that town like the plague, I can establish a barrier that will be costly to cross. Likewise, I will order small platoons armed with AT weapons to hunt along the ridgelines and retreat under taking fire back to the forests. The line of sight for them should be good and the cover adequate. This may prevent our forces in the town from being outflanked.

Where his firepower most cumulative is in those Abrams tanks and his CAS... If I can sacrifice some low value empty and unloaded AFV's to drive around and get spotted by his Apache's, I will gladly let them be destroyed if it means tying up his resources chasing empty vehicles. This will give me a chance, albeit a small one, to stealthily move loaded AFV's to locations with better fields of fire and concealment.

These are the sacrifices I am asking of my men... and behold- some have actually volunteered for the task. They know they will be spotted and most likely killed, but it might buy their comrades just the time needed to prepare for a better defense.

In the spirit of such Disinformatiza I have also ordered several vehicles to speed at their fastest east and west along the northern most highway from the village. The dust created by such actions may make the American Commander think a larger mechanized force than really exists is traveling towards his flanks.

Morale... how can I motivate some of these men when I can't even reach their unit leaders over the radio?

Should I shuttle vodka bottles up to the front lines like I have heard are being done by other commanders?

No, my plan will be to travel as close to the fighting as possible myself and group my forces in and around the paths leading into and just outside Hotot-en-Auge.

I will shout myself hoarse if I must.

But this morale has me worried still... I just overheard my adjutant as he passed my command tent. It seems everyone is reminding one another to "save that last bullet for yourself".

This stinks like the ghosts of
Afghanistan...

Commander Tiberius Konev Reporting.

Last edited:

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Commander's Notes

1201 hrs: Section Officer Vasilly has interrupted my planning with reports of artillery landing far north of our axis of advance. If the Ami’s are shelling so far behind our lines, I can imagine they either seek to destroy the single bridge my troops used last night to advance up to our current area of operations, or they are seeking to deny us a safe retreat… To Hell with them. We will not turn back so let them bomb bridges far behind us. It will cost them time to repair their own damage should they breach our center of gravity.

I have also seen with my own reconnaissance, a flight of two Apaches harassing Borodinov’s forces to my west flank. He is in a much better position to deal with them than myself. Yet I have dispatched a single platoon of vehicles to pop their heads up so to speak, along areas of good visibility. This has lead to the Apaches taking the bait and firing indiscriminately upon those brave few. Thankfully, it has worked that my main body has escaped such attacks.

1203 hrs: “Dust… dust to our south about a thousand meters it looks like” I said to my Adjutant. The heavy vehicles are traveling in a rather straight line towards the town. This is what I had hoped for. But my own forces are still at least five minutes away from the positions I need them to be in before engagement. I am rushing in my command vehicle now. Everything in the first five or so minutes of this engagement has been about timing.

Who will get to the best position first? Will I be able to reach the town and prepare just in time for his advance? Or will we meet face to face in the streets?

I will know in a few more minutes, until then, we drive- Fast.

1206 hrs: “There, hear it?” shots, rifle fire most likely from the Ami’s heavy caliber rifles aboard those tanks. 3rd platoon has unloaded and engaged a formation of possibly 8 tanks just at the edge of the village. Other platoons in the area have unloaded now too I am being told. It looks like I might have just made it under the wire by a scant 15 or 30 seconds in getting to that town before the enemy.

1207 hrs: 3rd platoon might have become the first casualty of our battle… I am trying to reach them for a quick intelligence report. I get nothing…

Commander Tiberius Konev reporting

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Commander's Notes

1208hrs.

"Third Platoon come in... Third Platoon- Damn!"

My radio is useless, we are coming under enemy jamming and I have lost contact with nearly half my forces. I watch through the binoculars and see a large, black cloud slowly embracing the skies above the town.

"Sir!"

My Adjutant informs me Fourth Platoon has succeeded in forming a thin defensive line in the woods just northwest of the village. They are battling an armored column now but are running low on anti-tank rounds. He reports that to their shock they witnessed Fifth Platoon utterly murdered as they unloaded from their vehicles and a NATO tank group stumbled right into their backs. Nearly everyone was mowed down in less than several minutes. The survivors I am told are fighting now from the flames of their wrecks.

The distant WUMP of artillery concerned me a moment ago, but when I see what has happened I am outraged. It seems the enemy commander has felt it necessary to shell the very center of the village with cluster munitions. I pray there are no civilians left in that place. A burning heat fills the air, my face is flushed as the shells smack down on Hotet. I can taste burning petrol though we are yet a full kilometer away.

I order my west flank to close in on village outskirts to our north, I want to make sure any survivors from the street battle will find themselves staring face to face with my guns.

1210hrs.

"My God, they're shelling their own troops!"

I take a look myself, the Adjutant is smiling. I am not. It seems true that the rounds may have struck several vehicles, but I have doubts as to who exactly was the final target.

I have learned that third platoon stumbled upon an advancing line of APC's. After destroying one, they were struck by incoming fire. I can only assume from reports of 1st tank platoon, that their is no one left of my 3rd group.

The tank captain also tells me they are engaged in a pitched defense at the very edge of Hotot. He screams that they are so close to the enemy now, that he can hear their tank crews shouting orders to one another. They are less than a hundred meters apart and engaging. A moment later, his line is dead and I hear more explosions in the distance from outside the town.

"Order 2nd Tank Platoon to charge east and strike at any units moving north from the hills leading into the village".

I must ensure that I have enough of a reserve force to mount a second attack after the enemy has fought their way further north. This is where we will make our defense, and this is where I will be able to see first hand what's going on ahead of me... We are approaching the town...

Last edited:

Red

Reaction score
Country
llIsrael
Excellent :love:

Keep the picks and reports comming.

Thankfully this game finaly looks like it is going somewere. I ordered thursday, and just cant wait to install it :cheeky:

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow... over a hundred views!

But I have good news and not so good news.
The not so good news is that Gary will be off the net until the 14th of this month so you will all need to wait to see how things continue

The good news is that once he returns and I get his reply from our last turn-phase I will continue to post in this DAR. Unless everyone is just bored with it.

Thanks!

-Tiberius

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Wow this is really exciting stuff, keep this going Tiberius a really good insight to POA-2 for people planning on getting the game, and a big help for those new to this monster of a game.

Cant wait to get my hands on the future patches, and get PBEM-ing, Cougar you will be the first victim :devil: :cheeky:

Cougar_DK

Former POA2 Thread Keeper
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
switch_back said:
Cant wait to get my hands on the future patches, and get PBEM-ing, Cougar you will be the first victim :devil: :cheeky:

Can't wait for that! I'm really looking forward to get my royal behind kicked in so hard by somebody that know a lot about modern warfare like you! I have a lot to learn.

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Im sure the battle will be fair, I'd say I know adequate amount on the tactical and airpower side of modern warfare in application, but I'll leave the military guys on this forum to take the honour for being the real experts on the whole sha-bang.

I look forward to the game, I'm always learning too, so dont worry too much, besides I want the latest patch e.g build 90 before I consider it. :D

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1213hrs.

"Sir...?"
My adjutant is staring at me, I realize I haven't answered his question.
"Sir... what's the plan, 2nd Tank Platoon reports some success in destroying the advancing column, they want to know what we are to do next."

"Pinball." I smirk back at him.

"What. I thought you said pin ball?"

"I did. Have you ever played it? It's an American electronic game..."
"Well, yes I suppose... sir what are you saying?"
"I'm going to play pinball. When I was a young Mladshij lejtenant at the Academy, we played for vodka. Let me explain. The Americans have pushed roughly 300 meters into Hotot, we destroyed a group of AFV's just as they broke out of the north end of the village." I take out my pen and mark a point on the map.
Take a look at the sketch here- see, we let the survivors continue to push north, we hit them on the west flank while their reserve line heads to engage us, I pull down our northeast flanks and they are smacked back west again, west is the low ground, once they are pushed into the low ground, we move north and hit them again with 4th platoon retreating from the treelines. They should have a good field of view... push-smack-push... Pinball Vasilly."

"Is this what I tell Comander of 2nd Tank Platoon...?"

"Vaaaah... let me speak with him."

I quickly order my remaining tanks to head north again and re-engage any vehicles which make it through the plague of bullets I have placed in the town. Smoke is choking my voice as I shout into our wireless now to 5th platoon guards, that they must pull away from the edge of town and assist 7th platoon with the defense of Hotot.
Already 15th Grenediers squad is making good on thier attacks into the firepit that is our line. Twice they have disabled and pinned the unloading Soldats where they are.
The center of town now is a cataclysm of clashing men and machines. The Starshij serzhant of 7th platoon tells me quickly over his gunfire that they have engaged over twenty some enemy troops.

"Serzhant, keep those troops pinned in a fight while I order our west flanks into town for you..."
"DA!" I hear the gunshots echo behind him "But hurry General- polkovnik, we are being murdered!"

WUMP-WUMP...

Last edited:

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
T,

While I was having problems with build 102 I deleted all my saved game files. Can you send me your last turn so we can pick up and continue our game.

Gary

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the way... and welcome back!

I think people thought this AAR was dead.
Let me say IT IS NOT!!!

Let the battle continue
:D

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi T,

I got your file but could not open it. Could you please resend as I would like to continue our game.

cheers

Gary