Bagration (Veers-Soviet vs Silvanski-Axis)

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
28 September - 3 October 1944

Budapest controls the southern approach but risks being isolated. Repeating history in a game would be predictable, as Veers says and, in my case, a disaster.
I've already made the mistake of clinging on in the wrong spot when there's better opportunities for a decent defense elsewhere... not a second time ;-)

The Soviets just seem to let 20 Rifle Div and 48 Gumbinnen Div starve... typical of the Soviet doctrine of sacrifying men and equipment, as they have plenty of both.

For me, on the other hand, the keyword now is 'preservation'

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Turn 16

Still moving forward well in Hungary. Reorganization is the order of the day along the rest of the front.
A draw, VP wise, has been achieved.

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
...after the Soviet statiticians have examined the German report, and adjusted the figures for Pravda I bet :laugh:
:laugh: No, I just want it to be in that particular spot so our reports will be side-by-side and easily comparable (for me if no one else). :D

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
5-11 October 1944

Budapest, partially evacuated was lost but it didn't turn into a full scale Soviet offensive...yet.
Some units were surrounded in the process but 2 Hun Arm. broke through the Soviet line.
Elsewhere not much action except for the Soviet Bydgoszcz pocket which is still holding out.
I took advantage of the Soviet pause to rest most of my units but at the same time work on extra defenses.
It is still warm, but winter will be approaching... is it that what those Siberians are waiting for?

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Turn 17

No combat except in the Budapest area.
A marginal victory, VP wise, has been achieved.

EDIT: However, we aren't counting VPs. Our pre-agreeded upon victory condition was based on when I get to Berlin.

Last edited:

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
12 - 18 October 1944

Everything happened south of Krakow.
Hungary is lost, Soviets tank units of 3rd Belorussian Front crossed into Austria and are some 80 KM south of Wien.
Several divisions have been redeployed to deal with this new threat.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
The frontline on the Hungarian-Third reich/Austrian border at the end of turn 17

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Operation 'Reckoning' has begun. Originally envisioned as a very concentrated set of thrusts it has commenced as a broad front offensive designed as much to wear down the enemy as to reach Berlin.

Original Operation 'Reckoning' Plan:

It was not as easy to break Silvain’s line as I, foolishly, thought it would be; but it has been broken. 5 German Divisions were destroyed. Wloclawek, Czestochowa, and Sosnowiec were liberated.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Cor blimey:crosseye:

You get home after a long busy day at work and then you receive news like this... I guess it just ain't my day :nuts: :laugh:

I'll look into it to Wyatt ...
First I need a good meal though, cuz Napoleon was right you know, a hungry army doesn't fight well.;)

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Operation 'Reckoning' has begun.
It was not as easy to break Silvain’s line as I, foolishly, thought
I was surprised by the length of time I got before your final offensive, my unis have been using their shovels;)

You broke through where I feared you might.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was surprised by the length of time I got before your final offensive, my unis have been using their shovels;)
I had been planning to halt my boys in the south (almost exatly where they are now) for a month before beginning an offensive here (alternately, I had considered waiting for the shock bonus of turn 29). A few turns after I had ripped open your southern lines, and let you rush reinforcements there, away from Poland, I would open up in Poland with the drive for Berlin.

After you mentioned that you had rushed some reinforcements south I decided to attack, as I figured the only thing holding me outside of Berlin was my own decision to stop. I expected your line to collapse a lot quicker, but apparently the Wehermacht has toughened up some since its defeats in the summer.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
The Wehrmacht indeed regained some composure.:horse:

19-25 October 1944

The German line is holding so far. Holes have been plugged and there was some local tactical succes. The HQ of the Soviet 1st Baltic Front will have noticed that all communication with its 416th Rifle Division south of Danzig has ceased to be... That's the work of the Totenkopf division and the 605th JagdPanzer Abteilung ...

To the south Malinovski will have to rethink his plans... his 2nd Ukrainian Front was caught napping.
Operation Csardas, a German/Hungarian raid in the Slovak-Hungarian border area produced more than was hoped for. Several Soviet artillery units were forced to withdraw and the Soviet line was penetrated.