Bad data in module?

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
When opening a log file both me and my opponent are getting the following error while using VASL version 6.4.4 (VASSAL 3.2.17).
  • Bad Data in Module: ? [Basic Piece] - Map not found mapId=Main Map
  • Bad Data in Module: Could not find map Main Map
  • Bad Data in Module: Could not find map Casualties
  • Using board(s): 13a(v6.0)
The mapboards loads but me and my opponent can't see any pieces. We can work through the logfile (seeing what moves are performed) but nothing is shown on the board.

Any idea what might cause this?

I'm using two computers (both working with the same VASL version 6.4.4, which is in Onedrive, so both access the same VASL version, boards, extensions, etc.) and I've created the logfile on computer A. Both computers work with Java 8.0.241. I've looked at the VASL preferences but the look the same to me.
When my opponent (or me on machine B) open the logfile with 6.4.4 we get the error shown above.

When I open the log-file in VASL 6.5.0 (which my opponent hasn't installed yet) I can see everything on both machines.

Any help is appreciated.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
When I open the log-file in VASL 6.5.0 (which my opponent hasn't installed yet)
Probably that is the reason. Have your opponent install v6.5, then try again.

Almost all pieces/counters pulled with v6.5 cannot be displayed by v6.4.4, which will for that reason then shoot an error. Version 6.5 is downway compatible, but v6.4.4 not upwards naturally. The Casualty bin has been introduced with v6.5 and your error message seems to hint that the problem is connected to it.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Von Marwitz is absolutely correct. You can’t open a game created in 6.5.0 in 6.4.4. There is bunch of new stuff in 6.5.0 that 6.4.4 can’t find. These error messages indicate that is what is happening. The map Casualties only exists in 6.5.0. And future releases.

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We received this error on the 'current' counter, even when both on 6.5.0.

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is what it says:

• Bad Data in Module: Image not found Currentright.png
  • Bad Data in Module: Image not found WinterExtreme.png
Counters in Map - Weather/EC

Was going back to it to pull the Current (Slow-No Drift) counter and it triggered that. Same error when we load a saved file, though I can't recall if the WinterExtreme.png error triggered as well when that counter wasn't on the map. I don't recall it doing so.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is what it says:

• Bad Data in Module: Image not found Currentright.png
  • Bad Data in Module: Image not found WinterExtreme.png
Counters in Map - Weather/EC

Was going back to it to pull the Current (Slow-No Drift) counter and it triggered that. Same error when we load a saved file, though I can't recall if the WinterExtreme.png error triggered as well when that counter wasn't on the map. I don't recall it doing so.
Yes, this is a known error and will be fixed in the next release. I missed uploading the required images for these two counters (and several others).