Ba. Humbug regarding firing caputred artillery by Mounted Cavalry

rebel15nc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been playing these games since they first came out. Today I experienced something that I just don't think is right. I am playing the main South Mountain scenario of Antietam as the Yankees. My stupid or very smart Rebel opponent attacked three stacked unlimbered batteries from the rear with one regiment of mounted cavalry. I have no problem with him capturing them but I think it is extremely unrealistic for mounted cavalry to then be able to fire the aritillery at me without dismounting. In addition, I find the fact that my infantry could not melee with this same mounted cavalry that is tied to one spot and firing my cannons while on horseback to be very questionable. So the bottom line is that on the first term I could not melee to try to reclaim my guns and on the next this mounted cavalry fired my own cannons at me and I lost over 100 men. Any way you look at it, it was a fine piece of work by some nearly surrounded disorganized (I think) mounted cavalry. Maybe I looked at the unit wrong and it was really a Regiment on of US Marines or maybe some Waffen SS Panzer Troops.
Now that I have this out of my system, Merry Christmas to one and all.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I take it you don't have any of your own cavalry? Keep firing, get the to rout, get your guns back -this time maybe have some infantry set up in the same hex. If you have cavalry- surround, then once the guy routs- any melee will overrun -however it will rout as a mounted unit- so you still need some mounted cavalry to offset that.

Losing the cavalry points isn't exactly the best idea in the world in most scenarios in that series.

I suppose the logic behind not taking the time to have a special rule for this (at this point), is the rarity of this sort of things' occurrence, as well as the likelihood of losing more points for the guy that does that stunt's side than gained.

rebel15nc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope. The blue bellies have no cavalry. Can't believe that anyone would think that mounted cavalry could load and fire captured artillery.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Artillery capture is an optional rule. Maybe play with it off next time if it is working the way you want it to.

So you're saying nothing is stopping you from shooting them to pieces and getting them to rout off of that stack? Ok ...

As far as the Union not having any cavalry... if you're playing the stock scenario you might want to have a closer look at your OOB. I found 2 regiments that come in as reinforcements - one at 720 am and another at 1120 am ... and stopped looking at that point -and also there is a fixed brigade about 1000 yards east of Bolivar. 720 being the 2nd turn of the scenario.

I guess this message was intended for guys that didn't have access to the game?

Last edited: