B9.322 WA and HIP units

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
During my opponents MPh, can I "steal" WA by claiming WA when I un-HIP? The relevant sections that have me concerned are:

Claiming WA ... can be done ... during its MPh/APh (either as part of, or before/after MF/MP expenditures)

and

Claiming/forfeiting WA can never be done between an enemy action being declared and that action being complete, e.g. fire vs the unit claiming WA.

I'm allowed to claim WA when losing HIP but could my opponent claim WA as a part of his MF moving adjacent to my HIP unit?

In my specific case I'm in Orchard so Mandatory WA applies but I'm interested in the answer for both Mandatory and voluntary situations.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B9.32 V.1 -- a HIP unit must be placed onboard concealed in order to claim/deny WA. So if the moving unit gets into the location adjacent to the wall and claims WA, the only way to deny WA to that moving unit is to get placed onboard at that moment with a WA counter, i.e. to deny WA to the attacker.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
So you agree that by revealing itself and claiming WA, the HIP unit can "steal" (really prevent rather than steal) WA from the moving unit even though the moving unit may claim WA as a part of its MF expenditure?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stealing WA status during an opponent's MPh

Hello:

I would say that the HIP unit can claim WA in this case since B9.322 (v2 ASLRB) states:

"...Claiming WA is voluntary [EXC: 9.323], and can be
done by a unit at five times: during its setup; at the
end of any RpH (step 1.32B of ASOP, ATTACKER first);
during its Mph/APh (either as part of, or before/after
MF/MP expenditures); *when losing HIP status*; whenever
all enemy units lose/forfeit WA over shared wall/hedge
hexsides ...."

Notice that the ‘when losing HIP status' and ‘whenever all enemy units lose/forfeit WA over shared wall/hedge hexsides' specifically allow it. I had originally thought that HIP units could claim WA (since WA could be claimed at setup as per the above rule), but was wrong since B9.324 CONCEALMENT reads:

".... A hidden unit can never claim WA and must be
placed (concealed) onboard to be able to claim WA during
play, but may do so at any time–even at the moment an
enemy unit moves adjacent and wants to claim WA."

Note however, the HIP player would have to *momentarily* reveal one non-dummy unit or forfeit WA. The HIP units would have to be placed on-board concealed, as per this same rule, if the HIP player wanted to claim WA, or the HIP unit(s) could take their chances and stay HIP (thus allowing the other player to claim WA).

Take care,
rk

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Corporal Kindel said:
I had originally thought that HIP units could claim WA (since WA could be claimed at setup as per the above rule), but was wrong since B9.324 CONCEALMENT reads:

".... A hidden unit can never claim WA and must be
placed (concealed) onboard to be able to claim WA during
play, but may do so at any time–even at the moment an
enemy unit moves adjacent and wants to claim WA."
Excellent. I stopped 2 paragraphs short of what I needed to read. :D

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right, it is not a matter of stealing but a matter of claiming. Shoot him in the OG!

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Larry said:
Right, it is not a matter of stealing but a matter of claiming. Shoot him in the OG!
I did and scored a lousy NMC (which he passed) for my wonderful 16+0 ambush. :nervous:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I feel your pain Zoltan. That is why we go ahead and roll the dice ... there just isn't a sure thing even at 16 flat. :cry:

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
zgrose said:
I did and scored a lousy NMC (which he passed) for my wonderful 16+0 ambush. :nervous:
I feel your pain too, but shouldn't it have been a 16-2 (or was there a +1 TEM in the target Location) ?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Ole Boe said:
I feel your pain too, but shouldn't it have been a 16-2 (or was there a +1 TEM in the target Location) ?
Assault Moved into an ADJACENT Orchard at Night. No FFNAM, No FFMO (Orchard), but at least no LV (Orchard) and I got doubled FP. I think I got that right, no?

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, that's right. Just a shame the 16+0 didn't render you a result for your (carefully placed) HIPsters. :)