B9.3 and B9.4: Obvious Gaps in Walls/Hedges

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Folks,

There is a Q&A (taken from version 24 of Klas' compilation) that reads

B9.4

May a wall/hedge hexside with an “obvious gap” (but no road depiction) be crossed
without paying the extra movement cost? May walls/hedges with “obvious gaps” (whether there is a road or not)
be crossed by expending the additional movement cost for a wall/hedge if desired?

A. Yes to both. {4}

Therefore Unit A can assault move from 6W9 to 6X9 (that hexside has an obvious gap) for 2MF (1 for the wall, and 1MF for 6X9).
[Sorry for the lack of a photo, I'm at "work."]

Now suppose an enemy unit fires at Unit A from 6V8. This shot goes through the wall hexside (W9/X9) but through the gap.

I think that B9.3 says the wall does not apply, based on the third sentence: "If the LOS crosses the wall/hedge hexside through a
road depiction (such as 6W9-X9) the wall/hedge TEM can only apply if the target is a non-moving unit."

Does that look correct? If so, it seems there is no benefit for spending an extra 1MF for the wall.

My take: It seems reasonable that, by spending an extra 1MF for the wall, one gets the benefit of the wall. I'm not certain that
is what the rule says...

Your thoughts are appreciated.

indy

Last edited:

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I agree with your confusion!

I think the rule itself (B9.3) says that the TEM would not apply whenever a unit moves across such "obvious gaps." This applies whether the unit is actually moving over the wall/hedge, through the gap, or along the hedge/wall but behind it in relation to the Firer. Without further clarification, I think it has to stand that way.

But as you say, the intention of the Q&A is entirely unclear as I would think that both the Question and the Answer should have addressed whether TEM would apply. Why else would you expend the extra MF/MP but to get the TEM other than to delay (or if your tank just wants a nice belly rub)!

Last edited:

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Why else would you expend the extra MF/MP but to get the TEM other than to delay (or if your tank just wants a nice belly rub)!
If there is an Orchard on the other side, one could avoid using the road hex side to enter the Orchard part of the hex and negate FFMO when fired on from any direction. That's my guess.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If there is an Orchard on the other side, one could avoid using the road hex side to enter the Orchard part of the hex and negate FFMO when fired on from any direction. That's my guess.
Of course! Nice catch.

indy

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree with your confusion!

I think the rule itself (B9.3) says that the TEM would not apply whenever a unit moves across such "obvious gaps." This applies whether the unit is actually moving over the wall/hedge, through the gap, or along the hedge/wall but behind it in relation to the Firer. Without further clarification, I think it has to stand that way.

But as you say, the intention of the Q&A is entirely unclear as I would think that both the Question and the Answer should have addressed whether TEM would apply. Why else would you expend the extra MF/MP but to get the TEM other than to delay (or if your tank just wants a nice belly rub)!
I'm not happy that you agree with me :).

I was (and still am) hoping there is an obvious gap in my understanding.

I agree with how you are interpreting the rule. The rule is clear, IMHO. Just a bit strange.

Thanks for chiming in.

indy

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just wait till you see the diffraction pattern of a MMC passing through a double gap!
Waaait a minute! Are you suggesting an MMC passes through both gaps at the same time?
Some sort of human wave/particle duality? That's crazy talk. I propose we point an MG at
each one of the gaps to see which one it goes through...

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question is whether or not the individual "men" in a MMC are tightly bound like quarks or not. If they are not, then they can spread out within the range of the probability sphere (hex?). If they are, then they won't.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Waaait a minute! Are you suggesting an MMC passes through both gaps at the same time?
Some sort of human wave/particle duality? That's crazy talk. I propose we point an MG at
each one of the gaps to see which one it goes through...
bullets are particles. That solves the case for Residual Fire at least.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
rules say you suffer RF no matter WHEN the shot was taken. So I mark RF on the board with a pen. Playing on old boards is MURDER!