B8 - Sewer Movement

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Minaya and I are playing our first game with sewer movement (ASL 4 - The Commisar's House) and wonder if someone could guide us with a few simple steps to executing sewer movement. We had two alternate interpretations of where a unit entering a sewer ends during the MPh they enter.

If an eligible unit is in a Manhole Location (ie. Ground Level of a building with a manhole) and wishes to move into the sewers, do they...

a. just enter into the sewer of the hex they are in during their MPh and stop there?
b. enter that sewer hex and then move to another sewer location in the same MPh? (possibly emerging in the APh)

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Bryan is correct.

See B8.41: "Sewer movement must start in or beneath a Manhole Location and end in a Sewer Location no farther than three hexes away"

Or in other words, you must start in a Location above the sewer (or in the sewer if you used sewer moevement without emerging last turn), and must end in the sewer 1-3 hexes away.

You never have to emerge, but you may be forced to stay down in the sewer, depending on the result of the sewer emergence dr.

Minaya

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
My point is: B8.4 says "Only Good Order Infantry may enter a Sewer system from a Manhole location and only at the start of their MPh and do so at the cost of all their MF".

Then I thought that they must enter the Sewer system in one MPh remaing in the same hex but now under a "sewer" counter and start sewer movement in their next Mph. I understand according to your replies that entering the sewer system does not mean just enter but also moving along the system.

Last edited:

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
NRBH but this is how it goes:

Infantry unit(s) start their MPh in a manhole location.
They declare sewer movement and roll a task check if necessary
Then roll a dr to see if they become lost:
if lost then the opponent moves them to an eligible manhole location within 3 hexes;
if not lost you move the units(s) to an eligible sewer location within 3 hexes.

Note you may NOT remain in the sewer location of the starting manhole hex. You must move.

Then make an emergence roll (even if you are not planning to emerge).
Conduct DFF if allowed by the emergence roll.

Emerge in the advance phase if allowed by the emergence roll.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Minaya said:
My point is: B8.4 says "Only Good Order Infantry may enter a Sewer system from a Manhole location and only at the start of their MPh and do so at the cost of all their MF".

Then I thought that they must enter the Sewer system in one MPh remaing in the same hex but now under a "sewer" counter and start sewer movement in their next Mph. I understand according to your replies that entering the sewer system does not mean just enter but also moving along the system.
I understand, and see that it can be misleading. The actual Sewer Movement costs no MF though, so "the cost of all their MF" is superfluous, and probably added to make extra clear that the unit cannot do anything before entering the Sewer.

The important thing is that the sewer movement may start in either a Manhole or a Sewer Location.

Manhole Location is the above-ground Location, while Sewer Location is the below-ground Location. So you can move to a new Sewer Location 1-3 hexes away from both.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
assume you're VASL'ing so here's a tip: 'change label' for your sewer units; label them 'may emerge', or whatever, as a memory aid. No counters for this and if many sewer units (am currently playing "Final Bid") it helps keep track of things.

Alan