B7 E1.53 Runway and Straying

Status
Not open for further replies.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This answer seems surprising. Does anyone have an idea of the reasoning behind it?

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
B7.4. Runways are not roads.
All right, this provides the reasoning, indeed.

I should have worded my question differently: What is the logic behind it?

If a road through woods are sufficient not to Stray, how can a big a** runway be insufficient?
Why should you get lost on a runway while you won't get lost in the Open Ground next to it?

von Marwitz

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B7.4. Runways are not roads.
I'm not reading that in B7.4, but I kinda agree: runway is not an E1.531 EXC re Straying.
I should have worded my question differently: What is the logic behind it?
Historically, most "runways" were/are unimproved -- open fields, essentially.

[Even today. Post 9-11, all US private runways were cataloged. When you check satellite imagery (or are there), many are a "nothing there."

One of my friends owns a US private runway. Looks like a mowed field, nothing more.]

My best guess is most WWII tactical airfields were unimproved. Hence, no E1.531EXC for runways.

Hope that helps.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'm not reading that in B7.4, but I kinda agree: runway is not an E1.531 EXC re Straying.

Historically, most "runways" were/are unimproved -- open fields, essentially.

[Even today. Post 9-11, all US private runways were cataloged. When you check satellite imagery (or are there), many are a "nothing there."

One of my friends owns a US private runway. Looks like a mowed field, nothing more.]

My best guess is most WWII tactical airfields were unimproved. Hence, no E1.531EXC for runways.

Hope that helps.
While your historical answer makes absolute sense it runs counter to the " paved " nature of a Runway in the rules. The answer given in the Q and A makes no sense at all considering the same paved nature.

The only thing Colonel Cuervo and I can come up with is that a Road leads somewhere but unless you are an aircraft a Runway leads nowhere. That in itself is an incredibly weak and senseless answer. About as worthy of serious consideration as the answer given to the original question.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One aspect which should be addressed is wide city boulevards.
If these are treated as runways, you may now stray while adjacent to them.

From Festung Budapest
4.1 19Any paved road hex containing an enlarged black center dot (EX: II16) is a Wide City Boulevard (B7.). All rules for wide city boulevards apply in these hexes [EXC: if the hex also contains Debris (2.62) or Rubble (B24.1; 3.5)].

This makes them not a road by definition....

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm wondering if at that time whether or not runways would show up on a typical tactical map. I would THINK so, but having never served in the military I wouldn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.