B6.4 Exit Bridge hex CC31 in RB

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Can't believe this hasn't been considered before but could find nothing in the Q&A.

How can one enter/exit the bridge from from/to CC32? There is no B6.4 road hexside on the south edge of CC31. B6.4 applies to both vehicles and infantry, doesn't it? If vehicle can cross the CC31/32 hexside, can it turn to bypass the CC32 building or does it have to drive through the building and take a Bog Check?

Wynn

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A vehicle or infantry could enter CC32 in bypass from CC31, from the bridge if we assume a road hexside and also from the gully.

JR

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A vehicle or infantry could enter CC32 in bypass from CC31, from the bridge if we assume a road hexside and also from the gully.

JR
Entering CC32 in bypass from CC31, or vice versa, seems (to me) to violate the wording of B6.4 since there is NO 'road hexside' on the south side of CC31.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Entering CC32 in bypass from CC31, or vice versa, seems (to me) to violate the wording of B6.4 since there is NO 'road hexside' on the south side of CC31.
First the hypothetical unit could be under the bridge rather than on it. Second I am going to assume that the intention was to allow units to exit the bridge location across the cc31/cc32 hexside. If so then units can exit in bypass or not. If not then units may not exit at all, bypass or not.

JR

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
First the hypothetical unit could be under the bridge rather than on it. Second I am going to assume that the intention was to allow units to exit the bridge location across the cc31/cc32 hexside. If so then units can exit in bypass or not. If not then units may not exit at all, bypass or not.

JR
Yeah, that was our 'common sense' interpretation as well, but since this is ASL we thought there might be more...!

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
It's a non-nonsensical idea that an actual bridge would be built in real life in Stalingrad (historical map) and then be unusable by anything in game terms because a 'unit can't cross the bridge without a road hexside.' Clearly there is a problem with the map and/or the rules.

I don't think the rules should read as they are and it's another of example of the rules being written for brevity, whoever wrote them never imagined a bridge without a road crossing an exiting hexside. But here we have one! And why should the road depiction be required to cross the hexside; it's an arbitrary spacial construct after all.

The rule should say: Entrance of/exit from a bridge Location can occur only by crossing a road depiction from that bridge and if the road enters a hexside, by crossing that hexside. If the road depiction from the bridge does not cross a hexside, then units may exit the bridge visa bypass or normal movement to any hex that is on that side of the bridge (example, from the bridge in RB CC31; units can exit the bridge across the road hexside CC30 or by entering BB31, entering or bypassing CC31 or DD31) [a graphical example would be needed since not everyone has an RB map, soon to become more or less obsolete]

Note -- I think this situation can also occur when an artificial counter-form bridge is place, but in that case the edge of the counter conforms to a hexside, so units have to exit the counter from that hexside.

However, RB CC31 may be a truly unique example that's basically an artwork mistake, so some errata could be issued such that the road is extended through the hexside but not entering the building (so it's not considered to be an RB factory).

It will be interesting to see if this artwork is corrected in the upcoming release of Red Factories. That's the best way to solve this, perhaps.