B3.42 Road Rate & Vehicles/Wrecks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Listers:

B3.42 says:

"B3.42 The one MP penalty for entering a hex already containing a vehicle/wreck is doubled to two MP per vehicle/wreck if entering that hex across a road hexside while using the road movement rate."

So, a vehicle moving across a road hexside using road movement rate into a wreck/vehicle hex would cost 2MP (wreck/vehicle) + ½ MP (road rate cost) = 2.5MP, and then into the (adjoining) road hex (unoccupied) at ½MP, for a grand total of 3MP for the two-hex move.

Now suppose, given the exact same situation, a vehicle enters the first wreck/vehicle hex at non-road movement rate. In this case cost would be 1MP (wreck/vehicle un-doubled) +1MP open ground cost of hex = 2MP for the first hex, and then moves into the (adjoining) road hex (unoccupied) at ½MP, for a grand total of 2.5MP for the two-hex move.

The example assumes a CE CT tank. I just wanted to be sure these calculations were correct. Intuitively it seems like the total costs should be the same in both cases, but I don't think the rule is worded that way, is this correct?

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
I believe you are correct. I assume the extra 1/2 MP when using the road mvmt rate is due to the time consumed "getting around the wreck" when relatively close to it/while on the road whereas not using the road mvmt rate might mean you are able to take a more direct route past the wreck before getting on the road in the wreck hex so as to enter the next hex at the road mvmt rate. Just a thought.

Ed

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the issue only comes up when you're entering the road from 'off-road' so presumably, the vehicle enters the road 'past' the wreck/vehicle enough to spend only an extra 1MP.

When moving along the road [crossing road hex-sides], you're using "road rate"--whether it's 1/2 or 1MP(for BU) or 1.5(CE and towing) etc--it's not like you can drive along the road at 1/2MP/hex then "slow down" and spend 1MP (aha, you think, that's not the 'road rate'. . .)thus spending only 1 extra MP for each veh/wreck. No, when moving along a road [crossing road hex-sides], each extra veh/wreck in a hex costs +2MP.