B28.531 Daisy Chains

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Listers

I'm still re-reading the rules. Read the Daisy chain section last night, and there's something about this section that doesn't make sense to me:

"B28.531 v2 DAISY CHAIN: .... These mines can be placed at any time during an enemy Mph (even as an enemy vehicle enters the placement hex), or during a friendly fire phase .... Such placement is noted on paper, and not revealed to the opponent until one of his *Good Order units has a LOS to the hex containing the Daisy Chain*."

I think I'm missing something here because it seems to me that if an enemy vehicle moves adjacent, at which time a unit would presumably want to place a daisy chain in the adjacent hex, (the hex that the vehicle is currently moving into) the vehicle would then have a LOS to the hex containing a daisy chain, so the daisy chain would then be immediately revealed. But if you think about it, most of the time a unit will always have a LOS to an adjacent hex, so what is the point of noting this on paper? Because the daisy chain will automatically be revealed (since a Good Order unit has a LOS to the hex containing a daisy chain).

I'm just not understanding what the point is of noting the placement on paper (since the hex containing the Daisy Chain will be automatically revealed with LOS) .. Seems like the Daisy Chain would always be seen beforehand (by the tank a placing unit is presumably trying to kill). I'm also assuming that ultimately it won't matter anyway because surely the tank will be attacked by the daisy chain regardless (assuming it rolls <= the # of mines in the daisy chain) .. I mean, it's not like the vehicle can immediately spend a stop MP once a placing unit declares a Daisy Chain attack on the vehicle (at which point the vehicle has a LOS to the daisy chain' hex, if not having seen it beforehand also) and not be attacked by it right?

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Corporal Kindel said:
I think I'm missing something here because it seems to me that if an enemy vehicle moves adjacent, at which time a unit would presumably want to place a daisy chain in the adjacent hex, (the hex that the vehicle is currently moving into) the vehicle would then have a LOS to the hex containing a daisy chain, so the daisy chain would then be immediately revealed. But if you think about it, most of the time a unit will always have a LOS to an adjacent hex, so what is the point of noting this on paper? Because the daisy chain will automatically be revealed (since a Good Order unit has a LOS to the hex containing a daisy chain).
You are overlooking the fact that the Daisy Chain can be placed during other friendly fire phases. For instance, a Daisy Chain may be placed during your own PFPh because an enemy AFV is just around a corner and will have to enter that hex in its next MPh.

Not likely, but possible. You are correct that there's no reason to note it on paper when it immediately is to attack the AFV though.