B28.1 Minefields (under a bridge)

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Happy Triskaidekaphobia Day!

B28.1 says, in part "Minefields may not be placed in a bridge, paved road, [lots deleted], Interior Building Hex, rubble,
or Water Obstacle hex."

It is possible to read that to mean "Minefields may not be placed in a bridge hex." I think this is a curious interpretation
as it means that one can place mines in a depression, but not if a bridge spans it. If the last word (hex) only applies to
Water Obstacle, then the sentence would say "Minefields may not be placed in a bridge..." which is undefined (what does
"In a bridge" mean?).

I couldn't find any Q and A nor errata that specifies bridge location. Is anyone familiar with such clarification?

Full disclosure: I don't really care what the rules say, I just want them to be crystal clear.

Thanks in advance,
indy

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No, they can be placed in a bridge hex but not on the bridge itself. You vould mine tge gully underneath.

That's certainly the way I think it should be; I also think the rule could be written a bit more clearly.

indy

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mines under a bridge? Good tactic against trolls (Brothers Grimm version, not internet ones).

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
That's certainly the way I think it should be; I also think the rule could be written a bit more clearly.

indy
I see your point about HEX...as all the other examples are "hex" examples

Because of the confusion.
Look at the bridge rules....
6.6 Entrenchments/mines [EXC: unhidden AT Mines; 28.53] cannot be placed on a bridge.

But I hear you.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

6.6 Entrenchments/mines [EXC: unhidden AT Mines; 28.53] cannot be placed on a bridge.

But I hear you.
Any thoughts of Daisy Chains and bridges? B 28.531 says may be placed from an ADJACENT hex. I'm assuming this prohibits placement by a unit under the bridge. ?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Under a bridge is not ADJACENT to the bridge. You cannot directly advance from one to the other.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Under a bridge is not ADJACENT to the bridge. You cannot directly advance from one to the other.
Pretty much what I thought but for the sake of argument what about a Commando unit that is Scaling, B 23.424, the bridge?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
B11.431 allows climbing units to fire within their normal range.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys!! I take it then that a Commando Scaling a bridge could place a Daisy Chain?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Only Good Order Infantry may cross a cliff hexside, and only in the act of Climbing. A Climbing unit may not use, transfer, recover, (un)dm, or repair a SW, Prep Fire, or perform any other form of movement or advance [EXC: 11.432].

Okay I was a bit over egging it with the no fire but they certainly can't use a SW.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Only Good Order Infantry may cross a cliff hexside, and only in the act of Climbing. A Climbing unit may not use, transfer, recover, (un)dm, or repair a SW, Prep Fire, or perform any other form of movement or advance [EXC: 11.432].

Okay I was a bit over egging it with the no fire but they certainly can't use a SW.
Exchanges like this are why I enjoy this forum so much!!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My apologies for posing a question without having time to follow up. The fence needed mending and I had to empty the compost bin, find the wife's orchid pots, and so on. I personally think it would be very difficult for a Scaling unit to deploy a Daisy Chain across a bridge but we are talking about Commandos. ?

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

But I hear you.

Stewart,

Thanks for that! I think the intent is that mines can be placed in the depression in a bridge hex, and
that's the way I have always played it. I do think the rule could be clarified. I seem to remember that,
in the 1st Ed., there were a few places where the word hex was used but location was meant. Maybe
this is one that slipped through?

Thanks again, and (as always) roll low!

indy