B26.42, B26.44, and D15.47 Wire and Motorcycle Bypass

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
May a Motorcycle Bypass an Obstacle in an adjacent hex that shares a "wire hexside" with a hex containing wire (i.e. a wire Location)?

My gut tells me no.
1. Is the motorcycle entering a wire Location? No.
2. May a vehicle Bypass along a wire hexside? Yes, but it must pay a Wire MP penalty and a Bog Check.
a) A motorcycle is a vehicle, and therefore meets the first condition of B26.44.
b) Because a motorcycle is not subject to Bog, it is exempt from the third condition.
c) However, there is no MP value for a motorcycle to enter a wire Location, as a vehicle (i.e. not Pushed), because such entry is NA. It is therefore unclear how motorcycles could meet the second condition of B26.44.​
3. Granted the motorcycle is not entering a wire Location during Bypass. However, it is Bypassing along a "wire hexside," and it presumably "traverses" some wire in the process. More problematic, there is no MP penalty on the Terrain Effects Chart for motorcycles "traversing" wire in this manner.

Is there another/better interpretation supported by the rules?

B26.42 Cavalry, motorcycles, or horse-drawn vehicles may not enter a Wire Location.

B26.44 BYPASS: Non-vehicular Bypass of any hexside that is part of a hex containing Wire is not allowed. VBM is allowed but still requires expenditure of the Wire MP penalty and a Bog Check, although these penalties apply only once per hex (in the first hexside Bypassed)—not per hexside traversed.

D15.47 BOG: Motorcycles are not subject to Bog.