B2.1 Shellhole Creation

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
When shellholes are created as per B2.1 are 'hexside' terrain (ie walls etc) destroyed as well in-hex terrain?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Nothing in the rules speaks of destroying the terrain (unless the KIA creating the shellhole sets a fire in Grain/Brush).
That creates a problem of MF expense (as the rule fixes 1MF to enter a hex with a shellhole).
The question was abundantly debated some months ago...
The rule needs to be re-written somehow...

Robert Fabbro

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, I started this one a while back, but there was never an "official" resolve. Still Hoping! :whist: Here’s the quick synopsis:

Original Question: If a shellhole is created during play, does the shellhole REPLACE the existing terrain or does it exist IN ADDITION TO the original terrain.

Example: A Brush hex that gets hit by a big OBA KIA has a Shellhole placed in the hex. Is this hex now a Shellhole hex only with 1MF/2MF costs or is it a combined Shellhole/Brush hex with associated 2MF/3MF costs as per A2.4 (Cumulative Terrain Costs)? Chapter B is not clear on this.

Chapter G Jungle (& Hut) rules SPECIFICALLY mention that a Jungle hex is REPLACED by the Shellhole. The Paddy rules also seem to support replacement of existing terrain by shellhole.

So all would seem to support that newly created Shellholes in fact replace existing terrain. But here's the kicker: Under Chapter C Bombardment rules it is possible to create both a flame and a shellhole in the same hex. So how would the flame spread if the previous terrain no longer exists?

So unfortunately, the Bombardment rules create a disconnect: If you buy into the shellhole and other terrain costs as being cumulative, this contradicts portions of Chapter G (especially the Rice Paddy example that specifically mentions shellholes replacing existing terrain).

If you think Chapter G has got it right, then the Bombardment rules don’t work as written.

Anyway check it out A2.4 Cumulative Effects, B2.1 Shellholes, Chapter C1.823 Fire/Shellholes, and the Chapter G Jungle, Huts, & Rice Paddies (sorry, no Chapter G rules reference handy).

Rob

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
Interesting in HOB's Onslaught to Orsha they have specifically stated that when shellholes are placed during play in orchard hexes, they become Orchard-Shellholes combined movement costs and orchards go out of season (OtO 2.2).

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When you dig a foxhole in the grain, does the grain disappear? Do you get to "pick a preference" and go with it?

If the rule doesn't say you "replace" the existing terrain then you don't.

JMO. YMMV.
Sam:eek:

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Legion said:
When shellholes are created as per B2.1 are 'hexside' terrain (ie walls etc) destroyed as well in-hex terrain?
In response to your question the walls and hedges are indestructable, nothing removes the hexside terrain or the in hex terrain as far as the rules allow.

Jimfer

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Robert Fabbro said:
Example: A Brush hex that gets hit by a big OBA KIA has a Shellhole placed in the hex. Is this hex now a Shellhole hex only with 1MF/2MF costs or is it a combined Shellhole/Brush hex with associated 2MF/3MF costs as per A2.4 (Cumulative Terrain Costs)? Chapter B is not clear on this.
I won't repeat all the arguments, only point out that according to the Cumulative Terrain Cost, a Shellhole/Brush hex costs 3MF/4MF - not 2MF/3MF.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Ole Boe said:
I won't repeat all the arguments, only point out that according to the Cumulative Terrain Cost, a Shellhole/Brush hex costs 3MF/4MF - not 2MF/3MF.
Brush = 2MF
Brush + walking in the shellholes = 2 + 1 MF = 3MF.
That makes 2MF/3MF...
I don't see what 1MF you are adding here...

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Robin said:
Brush = 2MF
Brush + walking in the shellholes = 2 + 1 MF = 3MF.
That makes 2MF/3MF...
I don't see what 1MF you are adding here...
Brush = 2 MF
Shellholes = 1 MF or 2 MF.

Brush + Shellholes = 2 MF + (1 MF or 2 MF) = 3 MF or 4 MF.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Ole Boe said:
Shellholes = 1 MF or 2 MF.
OK, I understand now...
The question is : is the "first" MF for entering a shellhole hex the "normal" Open Ground cost - which could be replaced by the Brush or Grain cost?
Note that Shellholes in OG don't cost 2MF/3MF - or am I clearly wrong here (and have been playing this wrong since 1982 : which could be quite possible :confused: ) ?
The rule says : 1MF or 2MF, and nothing more (i.e. whatever the terrain).
Legalisticly reading, a shellhole changes the entry cost of the terrain only, but does not destroy the terrain on the hindrance, fire, etc. side of the rules...

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Robin said:
OK, I understand now...
The question is : is the "first" MF for entering a shellhole hex the "normal" Open Ground cost - which could be replaced by the Brush or Grain cost?
It would make sense, but it doesn't look like ASL physics work that way.
I.e. it costs 2 MF to enter an OG gully, but 2 MF + COT to enter a Gully containing Woods or Brush.

Note that Shellholes in OG don't cost 2MF/3MF - or am I clearly wrong here (and have been playing this wrong since 1982 : which could be quite possible :confused: ) ?
You're correct there.

The rule says : 1MF or 2MF, and nothing more (i.e. whatever the terrain).
Yes, and A2.4 says: "Terrain effects and movement costs of hexes containing more than one terrain feature (such as 2I9) are cumulative unless specified otherwise by the rules governing the involved terrain types."

It applies here, telling us that the Brush 2 MF is cumulative with the Shellhole 1 MF or 2 MF.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I've just got an e-mail from a friend, pointing me to the B2 example, which says:

"EX: On the Red Barricades map, a squad IN CC3 may move INTO the BB3 gully-shellhole Location at a cost of two MF, or three MF if also using the shellhole TEM. It may continue movement into AA3 at a cost of two MF (Open Ground) or three MF (if using the shellhole TEM)."

What this example says, is that in the case of a Gully-Shellhole hex, A2.4 doesn't apply, but instead there is +1 MF added if the Shellhole is used.

That makes sense, but isn't written in the rules anywhere - and actually contradicts A2.4. I'll join Bruce Bakken in hating that examples says something you cannot find in any rule :blab:

I think it's time to consider an errata or two for B2...