B13.41 VCA change on a woods-road hex

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are preaching to the converted, Stew! I always understood that a vehicle in a woods/road hex that entered via the road was considered to be on the road for movement/VCA change purposes. The Q&A suggests that I was incorrect in that view and it is obvious that I am not alone in this. Perhaps the use of the words "I believe" in the Q&A when suggesting the 4MP cost for changing VCA across a non-road hex side suggests that the Q&A should not be regarded as definitive. I can't help thinking how long it would take a platoon of French AFVs with five MP available to move along a woods road where there is a turn across a non-road hex side to negotiate. The war would be over by the time they reached their destination!
You may have hit the nail on the head.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
What happens if one reverse engineers the "real" movement of a platoon of French AFVs along a twisty road and then comes up with "early war AFV road rules"?

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Like most people here, I fall on the “1MP/2MP” side of the debate, and had a right row with my opponent at Heroes while playing The Art Of Dying, when I wanted to turn my Italian tanks around on the woods road to avoid a Russian gun at the other end of it, and he insisted on the 2MP/4MP interpretation. He kept referring to Jim Bishop’s blog on the subject, and I felt obliged to point out that a blog is just one person’s opinion, not holy writ. If MMP/Klas say it’s 2MP/4MP then so be it, but it feels bloody stupid.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I guess it’s time to SSR in the proper MP cost to change VCA on a woods/road hex.
No need, just ignore, the rules easily trump the Perry Sez with no Support in the rules.

I cannot see anyone I know apply the sez in their games with each other or when we play.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

That was quick.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Hurray! I think this is the correct solution since it appears almost all scenarios in playtest and ROAR have been played the way the updated Q&A says. Sure, the rules really could be interpreted either way, but since the poll here on GS seemed to show almost no one played it the way the original Q&A stated, and the original Q&A was catching most people off guard, it really made sense to align the Q&A with how almost everyone had been interpreting the ambiguously worded rules.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Robert Hammond, explaining why he asked for the review.
Dear GS:
Hi! First, I must thank Scott for posting this answer and all the other answers I have received from Perry.
Second, I pulled this question of VCA change on a woods-road after reading Jim Bishop’s article. Jim writes incredibly well written and thought provoking articles. His blog, The Bishop Says, is something I look forward to reading. I know other ASL players do, also. These articles have helped me to improve my game play.
Third, I wish to say Thank You to Perry for answering all of my questions. Over the last two years, I have asked a BUNCH of questions. Perry has answered every one.
The reason I asked Scott to post this is two fold. I wanted to publicly say thank you to these three people. I also wanted to make sure everyone knew Jim wrote a great article that correctly applied the rules with the latest Q&A. His article caused me to read the rules mentioned and think it through. This led me to write to Perry. These three gentlemen have made the game better for me. I hope they have helped you, also.
And this rates an "aww, shucks" reply from me. I aspire to phrase my Q&A the way Robert phrases his. I'm just his humble posting servant.