B10.31 Height Advantage exception

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States

EXC: A moving unit being fired on by Defensive First Fire is not eligible for the Height Advantage TEM if in entering the target hex it crosses a Crest Line through the same hexside that is intersected by the firer's LOS.
437 is making Assault Move from P9 to P8.

My opponent is thinking that his LMG/548 can fire on the moving 437 without my receiving HA TEM. My guess is because the Crest Line is "facing" his stack. By my reading he would have to be either in Q10, P10, or O10 to negate the HA.

That is , the 238 would make a 2-1 (-1 FFMO) shot while the LMG/548 has to make an 8+1 (+1 HA TEM) shot.

Opinions?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
548 LOS enters P8 through Q8-Q9-P8 vertex.
No contact with P8-P9 hexside the 437 crossed.
So HA does apply.
Otherwise, followig the alledged reasoning of your opponent, if P8 were a "one-hex" hill, having a crest line all around, a unit coming up from a "ground level" O8 or O9 hex would also have to forfeit HA DRM (firer facing "same" crest line as crest line crossed): which would be even less logical.
The logics of the rule are that if the firer can "follow" the units movement, all along from ground level to hill level, it can fire at it much easier than if the unit appeared at hill level...

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hello Zoltan

The 548 in your example would still be affected by the HA DRM as the LOS does not cross the hexside you are crossing to get to the hill hex but the 238 is not so affected exactly as you stated.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the confirmations. Maybe someday soon I'll get promoted to a 7-0. :)