Axis Surrender - How to record it?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When the Axis player decides that he can no longer win and chooses to surrender (as is most often the case, to the detriment of the Allied player's satisfaction) and has say a "Significant Victory" at that time, but it is obvious to all that in time Germany would be crushed, how then should the game be recorded?

Wouldn't seem fair to give the Axis player the small victory - that's like intentional grounding in football and getting away with it...

I like the idea of "Unconditional Surrender" - as it was.

What thinks all?

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
A surrender is treated as an overwhelming defeat of the surrendering player. The winning player should report his victory as an overwhelming victory, based on the last turn played, or assumed opened, by the surrendering player, for the number of turns to report in the W.A.R.S. ladder game reporting dialogue.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
JAMiAM said:
A surrender is treated as an overwhelming defeat of the surrendering player. The winning player should report his victory as an overwhelming victory, based on the last turn played, or assumed opened, by the surrendering player, for the number of turns to report in the W.A.R.S. ladder game reporting dialogue.

Absolutely! If he surrendered then you should accept nothing less than an overwhelming victory.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
I agree. The Axis player gets the chance to play an attacking game for the first few years, while the poor old Allied player hangs doggedly on. If the former chooses to jack it in at the first sign that he's not going to conquer the whole Continent the Allied player doesn't get the chance to show what he can do on the attack. The points system should be based on the idea of encouraging the Axis player to save something from the wreckage by an exemplary fighting retreat, or even stabilising the line somewhere further than 200m from the Fuehrerbunker.

I get a peverse satisfaction from trying to conduct a skilful Axis defence in the face of overwhelming Allied superiority. After all, that's what happened for the best part of 1943-5.

Karri

Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Just to make things clear, I was the axis player, and I already reported game as Allied Overwhelming victory...and the situation was such that I had no hopes for a 'skillful' retreat, Soviets had broken through from Turkey, and wiping out a good portion of my tank and infantry units there. The remaning tank units were being destroyed in Baltic states and only a handful units remained in the west. Couldn't move them from there since it would have ment the Allies landing there...at this point I saw no other option but to offer my surrender. I could have fought on, but I seriously saw no way to block the Soviet advance from Turkey...oh, and top of all this, my sea transfer capacity was down to minimum and at least 3 or 4 full panzer corps were trapped in Egypt.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Karri....

C'mon, ya could've fought your way up through Turkey?
Or possibly take his Bishop for taking your Knight!

Killorbekilled (in our match) has lost the Soviets but quickly landed massive forces in Spain. He has taken a possible loss and turned it around to at least a 1-1million
chance of winning.

See, so he has turned a definite loss into a 1 in a million chance of winning!!!

lol

jk Killorbekilled, but it's true.... I thought, from all that I've read that once the Soviets are out of it, the Germans are guaranteed of a victory but surprisingly I am scrambling to fortify Spanish and African defences, reinforce Italy and protect the "Gut". I would have liked to have taken the victory at turn 150 sumthin but this is much better. Totally re-writing WW2 and the battles that were entailed in it.
Norway should be interesting!? no?

Anyways, good on ya mate for not deciding to throw in the towel.

Bdr.

Ya got Gib back huh??? not for long!

:devious:

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bdr.Mallette said:
jk Killorbekilled, but it's true.... I thought, from all that I've read that once the Soviets are out of it, the Germans are guaranteed of a victory but surprisingly I am scrambling to fortify Spanish and African defences, reinforce Italy and protect the "Gut". I would have liked to have taken the victory at turn 150 sumthin but this is much better. Totally re-writing WW2 and the battles that were entailed in it.
what kind of losses did you take fighting the reds? The german OOB is so much larger than the US/UK one that unless you took ~80-90% casualties I can't see any allied landings being more than a futile last gasp (that potenially could make a sealion a viable option) once the bulk of the troops complete thier march westward.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Agreed.

Although the Reds can seem to 'swallow' your army. I just completed the finish of Russia in an EC game, and am now pushing my way into France from Italy. Even though things are going well, it still feels like somehow half my troops are missing... I know it's not the case - I got lucky and was able to finish them (the Reds) quite early, but I just can't seem to shake the feeling that half my units never came back out of the Steppes...

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I took heavy losses,
my last thrust forward to take Moscow and Stalingrad before massive tanks arrived hurt my cause but my scrambling is doing well.

Time will definitely tell!

thx tho!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is why I do not believe that taking out the USSR is the nail in the coffin for the Allies necessarily. If the Allied player can hold off long enough for the Americans to build up (and ideally get to Overlord stage) then options open up for a sustained resistance... I'm playing 2 games in which the USSR is out but I'm still fighting back - so we'll see...

And - this kind of game in my opinion is far more exciting than the quick Axis victory - even if I'm playing the Axis...

Make sense?

Anyway, this is a great scenario. Bravo.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In these cases,
eliminating the Brits on their Island would have been the solution prior to an advance on Russia.

was going to try but opted out.
damn!