Axis Partisans in Russia?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
In T73 of my EA game as the Allies, I am seeing hexes converted to Axis control deep behind my lines in Russia. My railroads are interrupted. What's going on? Axis doesn't have partisans in Russia? :rolleyes:

Thanks! :)

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
You absolutely certain? There's no Guerilla Effects Event in the standard version. If it were in the Ukraine and the Russo-German war started earlier than historically it could be pro-Axis guerillas - is the Ukraine what you mean by 'deep'? Otherwise could some Finnish guerillas have snuck behind your lines if it's in the north?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I am certain of what I'm seeing, yes--Axis hexes behind my lines. I don't see troops.

How deep is deep? Looking at the map, it's all in eastern Poland in fact. Front line runs along the German/Soviet demarcation line, except in the South, where Lvov is the front. (Have a look at my screenshots in the AAR section.) The converted hexes are in the woods NE of Lvov; on the Vilna-Minsk RR; and in the marshes E of Vilna. Oh, and one hex in the marshes between Lake Peipus and Lake Pskov. That's not in Poland. It's all marsh or forest hexes though, so I thought of partisans?

The war started in October 1940. And the Finns surrendered in autumn 1939.

So, partisans?

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Nope, the Ukrainians are meant to disappear on turn 25 and you're way beyond that, and the Finns would have disappeared with the surrender.

It's not possible that these are simply unconverted hexes from much earlier is it? If you stuck to moving largely along roads when you advanced west there might be some unconverted hexes from the time when Eastern Poland and the Baltic States were neutral pro-Axis, and you're only noticing them now that you're moving back into these areas..

If you're sure that these are Allied hexes turning Axis for no reason then you have a major problem, and one that no other player has ever described.

Could you ask your opponent whether he did get a reconstituted guerilla (or two) from the earlier Finnish surrender?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
It's not possible that these are simply unconverted hexes from much earlier is it? If you stuck to moving largely along roads when you advanced west there might be some unconverted hexes from the time when Eastern Poland and the Baltic States were neutral pro-Axis, and you're only noticing them now that you're moving back into these areas..
Yes, you're absolutely right. I went back and checked earlier end of turn files. These hexes have been Axis-held all the time, I just didn't notice earlier, especially since I didn't need the Vilna-Minsk RR before Axis bombers started blowing my bridges.

Thanks, and my apologies for my ignorance.