Awesome New AAR!!

kbluck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have some mild statistical criticisms of the plan.

Well, the first isn't so mild. Firing a battalion volley of DPICM at a dismount target is a huge waste of resources, regardless of how high-priority that target might be. Running the numbers, a three-round volley has a >97% chance of destroying the target. A battery volley of six rounds has >99%. A battalion volley -- still >99%. The bang-for-buck just doesn't add up; if you're going to engage dismounts with DPICM, there's no real value in using more than three tubes per target. By targeting the recon dismounts with platoons, you can engage them all simultaneously and get back to the HPTs that much faster; especially important when, as you noted, there is no time to spare.

The same numbers for 155mm HE make more sense for devoting a battalion to the mission. Platoon 53%, battery 73%, battalion 95%.

As for the T-80U question, the "54 to destroy" number needs qualification. 54 rounds would have about a 66% chance of destroying a single target. A single battalion volley has about a 30% chance. You'd need 149 rounds to achieve 95% confidence of destruction for a specific target. In a sustained bombardment, of course, you'd expect to see about one randomly-selected tank die for every fifty rounds, but that's not the same question.

Dealing with softer targets like Tunguskas, it works out to about 14% for a platoon, 26% for a battery and 60% for a battalion, so it makes good sense to mass fire on them. The even softer ACRVs, however, show 42% for a platoon, 67% for a battery, and 96% for a battalion. It is not unreasonable then to engage those with batteries or even platoons and plan for 1 or 2 follow-up shots, reserving battalion missions only for cases when you expect to get only one chance at a single target.

Statistical kibitzing aside, great AAR!

--- Kevin

Last edited:

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A major concern, especially with HPTs like enemy recon teams and ADA, is that, after you hit them with artillery and DON'T kill them, they will displace to a position where you can no longer see them.

Of course you CAN reposition to re-aquire them, but, in the meantime, they continue to do whatever it is that makes them an HPT in the first place, i.e. call fire on your HVT's (High Value Targets) or shoot down your aircraft.

I readily admit that a BN 1 of DPICM on a dismount is overkill, but I garauntee that I will kill it.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have another question:

the AAR mentions that it takes 54 rounds of DPICM to kill a tank, which I assume is a statistical average.

How does that number vary with the spacing of several tanks in the impact area? I assume that the beaten zone of a whole battalion volley is big enough that the enemy formation will have more than one vehicle in it.

Are there any established numbers for this?

Is it just linear, e.g. if there are 3 tanks in the beaten zone it just drops to 18 rounds/tank? I cannot imagine it is this simple because firing three volleys takes long enough that, if the enemy spreads out as a countermeasure after the first volley, subsequent volleys will have a lower payoff.

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is actually an consolidation of several statistics. The actual, raw number is that each DPICM round has a 2% chance of killing a tank. So, if you drop over fifty rounds, 50 X 2%, you should, statistically, have 100% chance of killing the tank.

To kill multiple tanks, they would all have to be in within the blast radius of a single target grid. The enemy is a little smarter than this, and will try to avoid "bunching up" in this fashion. But, if, hypothetically, there were 3 tanks, parked hub-to-hub, motorpool fashion, and you dropped 50 rounds on them, statistically, all three should be destroyed.

kbluck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
in the meantime, they continue to do whatever it is that makes them an HPT in the first place, i.e. call fire on your HVT's (High Value Targets) or shoot down your aircraft.
Greater than 99% for a battery isn't good enough for you?

Your point of them "continuing to do whatever" is apropos. By devoting an entire battalion per target, when you have three targets to engage, you are allowing the second target an extra three minutes to do "whatever" and the third target an extra six minutes to do "whatever". Is nine full team-minutes of "whatever" an acceptable price to pay for gaining much less than one percentage point on an already overwhelming likelihood of destruction from a battery?

If you're really worried, target them with two volleys from the battery in a slightly open sheaf. If by some amazing bit of bad luck you fail to get them the first time, your second volley will still catch them, even if they do start moving. You can cancel the second volley if, as is most likely, the first volley does get them.

The actual, raw number is that each DPICM round has a 2% chance of killing a tank. So, if you drop over fifty rounds, 50 X 2%, you should, statistically, have 100% chance of killing the tank... hypothetically, there were 3 tanks, parked hub-to-hub, motorpool fashion, and you dropped 50 rounds on them, statistically, all three should be destroyed.

NOOOOOO! :hurt: :dead:

Sorry. Its just that you're killing me with this horrible misinterpretation of basic statistics. What you just said is equivalent to the following:

"I have a coin. I flip it twice. Since the chances of getting a heads result is 50%, and I flipped it twice, I therefore have a 100% chance of getting a heads result."

Clearly, that's just not true. It is, of course, completely possible that you will get two tails in a row. In fact, you have only a 75% chance of getting at least one heads result.

When you are conducting a number of trials, each with the same probability of success, each trial is random and unaffected by the success of prior trials, and you are looking for at least one success but don't care about additional successes (you can only kill a target once, after all) then you are working with what is called the "binomial distribution."

The problem with using simple addition is that you are "double-counting" successes. Consider the coin flip. You're going to flip it twice, and you want to see one heads result. The first flip has a 50% chance of producing what you want. So does the second. But, here's the important point: because the first flip has a 50% chance of success, the second flip has a 50% chance of being completely irrelevant; half the time, you will have already gotten the desired result. So, the second flip adds to the total success probability 50% of 50%. Adding a third flip obeys the same rules, i.e. it adds to the cumulative probability 50% of 50% of 50% for a total probability of 87.5% of getting at least one heads result. And so on. The essential point is that there will never be 100% probability. It will approach insanely closely as the number of trials increases, but will never quite get to that "guarantee" you're looking for.

You can also look at it from the opposite angle, which might be simpler for some. Multiply together the probabilities of *failure* instead to get the overall chance of failure for all trials together. Subtract from 100% to get the odds of at least one success.

So, for example, in the DPICM vs. dismount case, the odds of failure for a battery are 33% ^ 6, or 0.1291467969%. The odds of failure for a battalion are 33% ^ 18, or 0.0000002154%. So, committing those extra 12 tubes is buying you a whopping 1/7 percentage point improvement over a battery.

Still think its worth it?

As for the tank question, I already covered that in the prior post. 54 rounds would have about [1 - (.98 ^ 54 )] * 100 = 67% chance of killing a specific tank. The odds of killing all three tanks parked motor-pool style would be about ( .67 * .67 * .67 ) * 100 = 30%.

Now, if you fired 1,000 rounds at 1,000 tanks, you would have >95% chance of killing about 20 randomly selected tanks out of the group (1000 * .02 = 20.) But, as I said, that is a totally different question than asking what will happen with a relatively small number of rounds fired at a specific target.

This may sound like a lot of numeric wanking, but since artillery is essentially a game of statistics, I think the fundamentals are fairly important to understand.

--- Kevin

Last edited:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whatever hapening to just killing stuff on the battlefield instead of killing the game by analyzing it to death?!

Ever heard the phrase "The best laid plains got to hell when the first shot is fired.", or something similar?

Kevin, I'm personally getting a bit bored with how you analyze everything into the ground. It seems obvious to me, though I could be wrong, that you have never seen combat. If you did, then you would know a few things:

1. A piece of miniscule piece of shrapnel can disable a tank, cut a fuel line, and blow it up.

2. The enemy never does what you expect him to do.

3. Numbers can be massaged, manipulated, extrapolated, and otherwise twisted to do whatever we want them to do. Just because you read somewhere that Tank A has 900mm of Wild Corinthian Leather Armor and Tank B can, theoretically, penetrate 901mm of WCTA, that doesn't mean that it will EVER be able to do so with any surety.

4. It is truly possible to analyze something to the point of paralyzation.

Reading what you write takes much of the fun away from gaming for me. Try to keep in mind that these are GAMES, meant, for the most part, to be played by people who play them to HAVE FUN!

Try and ease up a little bit,...and remind me to NEVER go to Las Vegas with you, because we would spend 99.98745% of the time in the lobby with you going over the statistical average of rolling a deuce at the craps table.;) :)

Last edited:

kbluck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They're games advertised as "The most realistic tactical simulations today." I like to believe that's not just marketing fluff and Pat really is interested in constructive criticism to improve that realism. It's a technical subject that requires technical language. It's not as though I'm just writing unhelpful garbage like "ATF sux."

I'd just like to point out that my "overanalysis" has resulted in the identification of at least 8 acknowledged bugs, I believe three of which had major, game-altering effects.

Feel free to put me on your ignore list if I bore you too much.

--- Kevin

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
kbluck said:
They're games advertised as "The most realistic tactical simulations today." I like to believe that's not just marketing fluff and Pat really is interested in constructive criticism to improve that realism. It's a technical subject that requires technical language. It's not as though I'm just writing unhelpful garbage like "ATF sux."

I'd just like to point out that my "overanalysis" has resulted in the identification of at least 8 acknowledged bugs, I believe three of which had major, game-altering effects.

Feel free to put me on your ignore list if I bore you too much.

--- Kevin
As usual, you took my post as negatively as possible. I'm not trying to anger you or demean you, I was just feeling a bit like you never have anything good to say about ATF, and it's just a little disheartening.

I would never ignore you, Kevin. You are way too entertaining,...in a boring sort of way!:D

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
in an aside, supporting Kevins case, I used to play a 4X game called Stars! which was analysed to death to get numbers needed for actual kills for each weapon fired (jammers and computers included) - the knowledge garnered by this turned the game for some into a glorified spreadsheet, but for the hardcore, it proved to be the boon for strategic thought as those that calculated the stats (and believe me, ATF has nothing on the amount of tests that were run :D ) could be overcome using superior tactics.

So when Kevin gets out his calculator :D , I pay attention, but my thought is already on how to get the most cost effective results, and even how to influence the calculations by throwing in further variables.

Ie, using the example of the DPICM, if I get a 80% chance of a hard kill with 2 tubes, and say the equation for the situation follows the path of diminishing returns, that the chance for 4 tubes is 88%, 8 tubes 94%, 16 tubes 98%, 32 tubes 100% (not possible but anyhoo :D ), then I'm going to devote the 8 tubes, take my chances and cover 4 times as much area as I would if I went with a guaranteed kill.
(Meaning possible 4x the targets)

This type of analysis helps (me at least) understand how to most effectively use my assets to inflcit the most pain in the shortest amount of time. In the same vein, I don;t really utilise arty as well as I should, and use DF a lot more than I should to get the HVTs :D

amrcg

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Timings, statistics

Dear all

I would also like to support Kevin (though I am biased as I am an Engineer and thus used to that kind of analysis). The truth is that while we are planning we still don't where the pieces of shrapnel will land, and so it is better to trust the numbers.

Changing subject, Captain Proctor, you wrote the following in your (nice and very instructive, thank you) AAR:
"I have four volleys of smoke per howitzer, and no ammo carriers. It takes a battery to fire a 1000 meter smoke screen effectively, and the EFST states that maneuver needs 30 minutes of smoke."

I would like to know how you have calculated those 30 minutes. For me it is very difficult to calculate maneuver timings. I have tried it a few times, based on the average unit speed, etc., but my calculations result flawed in the majority of cases. Specially when I have to wait for a direction or formation change.

Best regards,
Antonio

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still think it's all for naught. I have beaten every ATF scenario, without cheating,...and I'm but a lowly combat medic. Of course, I may have had to play a scenario 2 or 3 times to beat it, but never more than three times.;)

I try and use METT-T and to focus on the win conditions set forth in the OPORD/Mission, that seems to work fine for me. I can also predict, with some certainty, what an enemy will do based on the same METT-T factors, and therefore prepare for it.

I am also dismayed at the problems people are having killing stuff with their artillery. I have very little problem killing vehicles with converged DPICM, and I can take-out dismounts pretty easy with that as well. Of course, the HE rounds work best with dismounts. There are particularly hard-to-kill units at times, but I just dismount some infantry and close and destroy!

Suffice it to say, I am striving to make the scenarios in Raging Tiger difficult to beat. I'm trying to accomplish this by creating enemy plans in a completely counter-intuitive fashion. "A disorganized enemy is a dangerous enemy!" I don't think anyone has ever said that before, so I'll take the quote credit on that one!:)

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to know how you have calculated those 30 minutes. For me it is very difficult to calculate maneuver timings. I have tried it a few times, based on the average unit speed, etc., but my calculations result flawed in the majority of cases. Specially when I have to wait for a direction or formation change.
The ORP is 4 km from the breach point. In broken terrain, in formation, units travel at about 1km / 2 minutes.

2 minutes to build smoke

8 minutes = Support force to travel 4 km X 2min / km

8 minutes = Breach force to travel 4 km X 2 min / km

4 minutes to actually cut the breach

8 minutes = Assault force to travel 4 km X 2 min / km

= 30 minutes total

This is a "back of the envelope" calculation. It is actually a little less than 4 km from ORP to breach, and our units will probably travel a little more than 1 km / 2 min, but we may be wrong as to where the obstacles actually are, we may have to go around some disrupting obastacles, we may have some inefficiency getting units moving. It is better to over-estimate the requirement than to under-estimate.

In real life, 30 minutes would be a REALLY efficient breach operation. 90 minutes is more likely.

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
amrcg said:
Best regards,
Antonio
Antonio,

Check out this thread. This was a post I originally made on planning and KB and DP along with others do a nice job with some of the math and other concepts for planning. I actually printed it out and still reference it.

http://www.warfarehq.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3842

Take care,
Brian