AVG vs. MS essentials

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AVG vs. Microsoft Security Essentials

Can a PC guru give me the scoop on this?

Both are free anti-virus etc. downloads, I was told I should dump AVG (which I have installed) and get the MSE version as it was bette and would help in running games online.

True or not?

Or can I just get & run both or is that pointless?
Thanks!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wish I could help, but I don't know anything but AVG versus ME. All I can say is that I use McAfee Internet Security Suite with Spybot and haven't had any problems.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Scott, while I would in no way consider myself a pc or AV guru, I will tell you about my personal experiences with each program. I used AVG Free for a long time and found it every bit as good as any paid for AV. Never had a problem running it, it keeps itself up to date, hassle free scans, and good scans at that, just plain easy to use. Same can be said for MS SE also. I switched to the MS product when I built my new rig about a year ago and it has been flawless. I've never had a problem with false positives with either program and never had a virus with either. If you use one of the two I would recommend also running the outstanding Malwarebytes Anti malware program in conjunction. Most freeware programs will be minimal and not include malware scans but that program will handle the omission just fine, also simple to use and very good.
Lastly I would check the "Maximum PC" website. They, about 6 or so months ago, did a run down on the best available AV and malware software. AVG had been their favorite for some time but now they have switched to another program(free). AVG and MSSE did score well, in fact both scored better than some of the paid programs.
Hope this helps you out buddy.