Australian NSW Hunter region opponents

TheCrazedLog

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey all:

Any players in the Hunter region of NSW in Australia interested in face to face gaming?

Thanks

Anthony

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Wish I was in the Hunter, went to Uni in Newcastle there in the 90's and still missing the lifestyle. Sadly 17,000 kms away, so unless you're up for a long drive home no joy.
Hope you find someone more lokal!:)

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Dave Wallace is near Newcastle – that’s the closest I know – there’s a few on the central coast but that’s about it.
When in doubt – VASL/Skype is your friend

ozpom

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
HI
Im in newcastle but not much of a player
just been playing starter kit 1 on VASL

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
As Adam mentioned above, David Wallace lives in Newcastle. He is an experienced ASL player and I'm pretty sure would be happy to meet up with new opponents for ftf gaming. I don't think he frequents GS on a regular basis, but I've sent him an email about this thread and hopefully he will respond.

TheCrazedLog

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi all:

Apologies for my ridiculously late reply. I've had a few people reply to me directly and of course those of you in this thread. What are people's opinions of having a meet-up say once a month in Newcastle somewhere?
I have the organisational ability of a wet turnip but I reckon I could find somewhere we could set up for half a day or so. Any takers?

Anthony

ozpom

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
id be keen , but im very much a beginner , just working through ALSSK1 via VASL

andy

ivankent

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Anthony
I'd be up for it, maybe not every month, but defo in for F2F game every now and again.
Sydney Bears is 1st Sat every month, so please try to avoid that.
Regards
Ivan

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Was there ever any concrete result from this? Wal told me he sent an email and never heard anything back.

TheCrazedLog

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey:

I never heard anything unfortunately. I'm quite keen for it myself. I don't know what happened to the email :|

TheCrazedLog

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey ozpom:

I think I messaged you directly but didn't get a reply. Seems that's happening a lot here at the moment :|

I'm happy for something to happen once a month or so in Newcastle, but being relatively new to the area I don't know anywhere where we could set up. Anyone got any ideas?

Anthony

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Depending on how many people get involved, you might be able to get away with playing at someone's house. One large table ought to be enough for 4 players -- assuming of course you have a large table that can be dedicated for an extended period of time! Similarly two smaller tables might be sufficient.

If you need more space than is available at a "typical" house, then you're going to need to investigate public venues. Public libraries usually have meeting rooms, the question is cost/availability. Similarly for neighbourhood meeting halls. Scout halls and RSL venues can also be an option. You just need somewhere relatively accessible to everyone, which in the Newcastle area, ought not to be that hard.

The most important thing, though, is getting those lines of communication going amongst yourselves. Somebody needs to volunteer to be a central co-ordination point, and that someone needs to get everyone's email addresses and confirm that everyone is responding. If someone reaches out and gets ignored, the whole thing will just fall apart.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
And while you are getting all that together - why not play a Skype/VASL game or two to get to know each other a bit first?

TheCrazedLog

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
THat's probably not a bad idea there from thunderchief.

While I realise I'm the guy that has started this, as my wife will attest I have the organisational ability of a hand grenade. Actually she says "Sometimes". I'll do it if no one else will, but I'm preeeeety terrible at it.

A mate and I tend to play VASL of a Friday evening. Perhaps we could do a big scenario of VoTG and we could all learn something? (I certainly could do with the help....)

Anthony

TheCrazedLog

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey all:

I'll be on VASL with a mate on Friday 24th March from around 19:30 AEDT (Sydney time). Can you do a 4 player game in VASL? If so we could do one of the bigger scenarios.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have never seen it done but I guess it is possible, though ownership of the units may be a problem regarding concealing, seeing HIP etc.

TheCrazedLog

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey:

Apologies, looks like I may well not be online tonight. Fighting off the latest model of lurgy, don't think I'll be up for it.