Australia Bushmaster IMV

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am looking for info on which mortar might end up on the mortor carrier variant of the Bushmaster IMV (wheeled). I could find no official links that specified the mortar caliber. I have one unoffical suggestion that it should be an 81mm mortar.

What caliber of mortars are currently in use with Australian mech units?

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also looking for info on what weapon might end up on the DFSW (Direct Fire Support Weapon) variant of the Bushmaster IMV (wheeled). I could find no official links that specified what weapon this might be. I have one unoffical suggestion that it should be a JAVELIN ATGM.

My gut feeling is that this is more likley to be a .50 cal machine gun in an enclosed turret (or fired from a ring mount by a gunner under armor) or a light weight GDLS 25mm turret - rather than a JAVELIN ATGM.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
well, I'm guessing mine are the "unofficial" suggestions

the 81mm mortar has been decided afaik, and contacts in 7 Bde report humping them at least - what I'm not too sure of is whether the mortar version is designated to carry an 81mm section, or whether it mounts and 81mm section. Ie one that doesn't have to be dismounted from the carrier, and can be fired with the vehicle in motion.

My personal opinion, which is the same as others, is why create and designate a mortar version if all it is is another troop carrier, that can carry mortars?

As for the Javelin...not sure - I've seen reports that the new Kongsberg RCWSs hat we've purchased are compatible with the IMVs, and it was requested that they be able to mount a Javelin ATGM system. Given that the DFSW platoons are the ones getting the Javelins (we're not getting a lot in US terms), and I think the mix will be 2 GPMG sections, and either one SRAAW or Javelin section per platoon.

So while I'm not positive on what the DFSW version will mount, those are the facts I have, and am pretty confident (given the low numbers of DFSW variants even ordered ) that some of them at least will mount a Javelin. I do know the ring mount was made to accomodate a Javelin - but again whether or not that is to mount the carried sections Jav system is not known, by me at least :)

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
> I'm guessing mine are the "unofficial" suggestions

Yes, but everyone is unofficial in regards to TacOps ANZAC except for the Australian project office (which seldom tells me anything) and the New Zealand project office (which has been very helpful on NZ items). :)

> The 81mm mortar has been decided afaik, and contacts in 7
> Bde report humping them at least - what I'm not too sure of
> is whether the mortar version is designated to carry an
> 81mm section, or whether it mounts and 81mm section. Ie one
> that doesn't have to be dismounted from the carrier, and
> can be fired with the vehicle in motion.

For simplicity, I am leaning toward mounting the mortar rather than just carrying it as cargo but the vehicle will have to be stationary in order to fire it. It will be a simple change if it later needs to be otherwise. Sometimes in my military work I have to just go ahead and add something that may be slightly wrong in order to prod the client into providing needed information.

> My personal opinion, which is the same as others, is why
> create and designate a mortar version if all it is is
> another troop carrier, that can carry mortars?

A vehicle that merely transports a mortar might still have a significantly different floor and wall plan from a troop carrier model. For example fewer troop seats, a map board on one wall, extra radio fixtures, special storage racks for the mortar rounds, etc. The 120mm mortar variant of the Dutch YPR765 APC is an example of such a vehicle. Its 120mm mortar has wheels and is towed. Any YPR765 could tow it but a dedicated variant is normally used.

> So while I'm not positive on what the DFSW version will
> mount, those are the facts I have, and am pretty confident
> (given the low numbers of DFSW variants even ordered ) that
> some of them at least will mount a Javelin. I do know the
> ring mount was made to accomodate a Javelin - but again
> whether or not that is to mount the carried sections Jav
> system is not known, by me at least.

I am leaning toward providing a "X-IMV DFSW" variant with a gunner under armor .50 cal and another "X-IMV DFSW" variant with a 25mm turrest. The Javelin possibility can be handled by putting a Javelin team inside of the regular troop carrier.

Rame

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bushmaster IMV Weapons

All I have read is that a 81mm or 120mm mortar will be (internally) mounted. The other weapons on it would be standard 7.62mm GPMG, .50cal HMG or 40mm AGL. I have read nothing about AT weapons being mounted on the Bushmaster so far.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The next TacOps update will provide the following Bushmaster IMV variants. Items with an X in the name do not exist (to the best of my knowledge) and are provided for exprimentation.

AU APCW, IMV ISC MG - 7.62mm machine gun on pintle mount
AU APCW, IMV ISC AGL- automatic grenade launcher on pintle mount

AU APCW, XIMV Ambulance - no weapons
AU APCW, XIMV Command - 7.62mm machine gun on pintle mount
AU APCW, XIMV DFSW HMG - .50 cal machine gun in one man turret
AU Mortar, Carrier 81mm XIMV - 81mm mortar on floor mount
AU Mortar, Carrier 120mm XIMV - 120mm mortar on floor mount

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
Then you should also appreciate the addition of the following other experimental items :).

AU ALV, XM113AS4-ALV Logistics
AU APC, XM113AS3-AM Ambulance
AU APC, XM113AS4 ISC
AU APC, XM113AS4-AF Fitters
AU APC, XM577AS3-ACV Cmd
AU ARVL, XM806AS3 Recovery
AU ATGMV, X-ASLAV-AT
AU Mortar, 120mm XASLAV-M
AU Mortar, Carrier 81mm XM125AS3