Attention Mapmakers: Soviet villages

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I see is poverty, malnutrition and disease. These are the villages of former serfs I'll wager, "sold" their freedom by Czar Alexander, with just enough land to raise vegetables and enough grain to maintain themselves, the few children who survived the first weeks of life, and some pigs or a cow. Remember, the great revolution is just 30 or so years back from WWII.

BTW, those look to be not log houses but houses of log trimmings: the first mill cut to square up logs. All the great lord would grant the serfs with which build their homes and barns.

But to get back to the game, I think the fields "out back" needs to be 2-3 hexes in depth to give that "put some fire on those houses and everyone else charge!" feel. And we need a new terrain type: the "denuded woods," to represent woodlands just above scrubland resulting from centuries of stripping the forests of every burnable scrap. Woods with no airburst effect for mortars?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Xeno - I keep crossing my eyes looking at that image but I don't see no unicorn.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Xeno - I keep crossing my eyes looking at that image but I don't see no unicorn.
I think fast Hienz try to ride it but it kicked him off near Moscow. Also, the images up stream are modern and this one has some age to it

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Are these pictures taken before or after a Bombardment ?
Looks like collapse due to neglect of maintenance. Explosions would have thrown material out around the buildings.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Are these pictures taken before or after a Bombardment ?
No,

Arty barrage would of spread the timbers all over the place and shattered the buildings, no apparent shell hole remains or such like, natural abandonment and neglect.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Worse than the neighborhoods I work in.

But, definitely abandoned, I see a lot of those in the post rust belt area I live in.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
And we need a new terrain type: the "denuded woods," to represent woodlands just above scrubland resulting from centuries of stripping the forests of every burnable scrap. Woods with no airburst effect for mortars?
Reading the description of "brush" in the ASLRB, I get the sense it is already in the game.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Good question, I expect they are going to be pretty thorough in their CG SSRs, their reseach seems to be deep and detailed.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 16882

Looks like Advancing Fire is taking a stab at it....
The mix of wooden an stone buildings in a single location would seem a bit confusing. I would question the applicability of Narrow village streets where there doesn't seem to be any constricting terrain feature in the adjacent hex. Why put a rather large number of hexes containing both buildings and roads which requires the vehicle to enter the building hex only by using bypass (per B23.4) or entering the building itself. A simple design for effect and slight adjustment of the building or road locations would have simplified additional SSRs for terrain (if any) and have arrived at perhaps the desired effect. In otherwords it looks to me as if they simply didn't apply design for effect as much as slapping a hex-grid over some terrain and adding some colorful glitz & glitter.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've hoped to see something like this for a long time - a village that looks like a real village in the WWII Soviet Union.

Tom Repetti colorized this idea below. I've sketched several such - smaller geoboard type ideas. Currently doing some northern Kursk terrain. Hope to see it published someday :)

Attachments

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I've hoped to see something like this for a long time - a village that looks like a real village in the WWII Soviet Union.

Tom Repetti colorized this idea below. I've sketched several such - smaller geoboard type ideas. Currently doing some northern Kursk terrain. Hope to see it published someday :)
Has this been VASL'ized? -- jim