Attention Mapmakers: Soviet villages

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Does every board have to have the same tactical solutions?
For the same types of features, the same suite of possible solutions should be available....unless one can figure out a way to make narrow streets variable with respect to LOS down the length of the street.

I can see some being very narrow and windy so as to not allow a straight LOS down their length. I would maintain that as often as not, many of these narrow streets are straight enough to lay down a fire lane. Both should be options for the scenario designer to choose from.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For the same types of features, the same suite of possible solutions should be available....unless one can figure out a way to make narrow streets variable with respect to LOS down the length of the street.

I can see some being very narrow and windy so as to not allow a straight LOS down their length. I would maintain that as often as not, many of these narrow streets are straight enough to lay down a fire lane. Both should be options for the scenario designer to choose from.
I would argue that the villages on my board, each taken as a whole, are *not* the same "features" as those on bds 48 & 57 (as per Don's examples), and thus require different tactical solutions.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
<shrug> your boards, your call. Whatever.

I still do not like the inflexible nature of narrow streets as called out in the rules.

<shrug>

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some additional boards that were designed to represent Russia - small hamlet, rural... Hedges here were my DFE approach to Wooden Fences on these..
upload_2017-5-16_16-15-0.png

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
You'll need to add a new rule to Chapter B to make that work. There are no "core" rules for building-roads.

(The rules from PB would work fine, but they're not "core".)

Also, hexes containing buildings and grain, or 90% open ground with a grain hexside, are a very poor design. Put the grain entirely within the hexes it's supposed to be in.

(Before you create a hex on a new ASL map, you should ask yourself: have hexes like this existed on any ASL map before? And if not, why not? ASL terrain is not a free-form artwork exercise, it consists of rules and requirements.)

Aside from those technical points, I don't think there should be three parallel cross-streets. Where would they be going? This is a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, not Bigtown City.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
B.1 says you can put your grain or brush wherever looks best.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
what's wrong with using barb wire fence rules from the various official HASLs it appears in to denote the fence effects and thens using the artwork that already is used on official HASL maps?

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I think in season grain replicates the effect of the fence's movement reduction and LOS hindrance well enough not to need further rules.
Just assume that each field has an inherent fence.

Some fence artwork would look pretty nice, however.