Attention Mapmakers: Soviet villages

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
upload_2017-5-15_10-22-56.png upload_2017-5-15_10-25-12.png upload_2017-5-15_10-26-29.png

From the upcoming Ponyri HASL..
The terrain in this release will try to reflect a 'Soviet' style present at Ponyri: a combination of old Russia (wooden hut-like buildings, small plots behind, dirt roads, wooden fences), and new Russia (large cultivated fields, government sized buildings - RR Station, School, etc.), all in one map. You just have to look close to notice the combination of these terrain types - but they are there and for good reason.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Semi-historical Ignorant American question - would such a Soviet village have a church?
A really small one might not, but otherwise, sure. The Soviets mostly converted them to warehouses, storage facilities and otherwise repurposed them.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What a great question.
Well thanks, Jazz! You're an awesome moderator!

I think it would depend on the specific history of the burg in question. I know that the church in my mother's village in Lithuania was present until the Russians suspected there was OBA spotting happening from the steeple and blew it up in late summer 1944.
Dude. Most yayas just cook or knit. Your grandma lived LARGE.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Well thanks, Jazz! You're an awesome moderator!

Dude. Most yayas just cook or knit. Your grandma lived LARGE.
Nah, all mom's kin folk were gone by then. They were walking West to Poland and Germany by then.

When we visited in '79 it was interesting to hear the various stories of who/what/how when the Russians came through in late summer of '44.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nah, all mom's kin folk were gone by then. They were walking West to Poland and Germany by then.

When we visited in '79 it was interesting to hear the various stories of who/what/how when the Russians came through in late summer of '44.
A lot of that has been lost as the years have past. My son had a class at UC that consisted of various people from both sides coming in and giving their remembrances of what happened, very interesting.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you look closely at Mark's pictures you'll notice the houses are made from hewn log planks, they are notched and overlap at the corners. The house in the center of Mark's second pic is getting a new roof put on and nicely shows the inner roof boxed in and filled with dirt. The steep peeked roofs were purely to deflect snow buildup, the layer of dirt covering the inner roof top and the clay spread along the logs joints would insulate well against wind, plus help to hold in the heat when the weather dropped below zero.

These were far from flimsy huts, these houses would survive a mortar attack and MG fire a lot better then regular wood buildings. so, possibly they should be given better protection then a standard ASL wooden building?

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Me three. A hut is a palm frond bamboo structure with no foundation or floor that a 4x4 truck could drive over with little effort.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

portion of the map from ASL 115 Huns of Steel - seems to fit the overall layout somewhat, especially if you consider the stone 1st level building enclosure to be an Orthodox church and outbuildings with a small cemetery. I think the only real change needed to make this perfect would be to make the Bd 48N8 circular road hex a graveyard hex. JMHO.

KRL, Jon H

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
One wonders who in their right mind would build a bridge over some marsh when beating a road around the marsh would take considerably less effort. Erecting that bridge would have taken more effort than building both hamlets combined.

Otherwise seems logical enough, but as stated above, I don't believe all those hedges should be there. The wooden fences between each plot are not worthy of being depicted on the map, for the most part.

That little quarry in O2 needs a little pond beside it -- maybe just a hexside pond across N1/O2.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I'm not a fan of how one can't lay a firelane down the road. Unless there is some special EXC that I'm not aware of for the narrow roads.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm not a fan of how one can't lay a firelane down the road. Unless there is some special EXC that I'm not aware of for the narrow roads.
This is a valid point.

On a normal geo-board, the width of 10 hexes is not enough to depict a 'long' Pitman-Russian village with a straight road that allows for FLs. The alternative would be a bd48 like alignment of the village.

Or as proposed above, a Fort-board format (i.e. like 1a/b, 2a/b etc.). This would be my favorite approach.

von Marwitz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
great board footsteps. I believe the bridge over the marsh is actually a bridge over what was in the past a nice little lake with ducks.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The intent of Board 48 was to present a straggling, Ukrainian village - like the ones Mark presented. I wish I had it back to do again for various reasons. Boards 56 and 57 were intended to help create this strung-out Ukrainian look, and if 48 and 57 are put together, as intended, that can be done.
That said, agreed that the roads in Russian rural villages generally wouldn't justify Narrow Streets, though there very well could have been those. Why crowd when you have so much room?
Using hedges to represent either Wooden fences or Hedges (imagine) with standard geoboards seems good - though it would also be good if MMP permitted the Wooden fence artwork, but allowed it to use the Hedge rules.
upload_2017-5-16_9-2-48.png upload_2017-5-16_9-3-16.png