Attention Mapmakers: Soviet villages

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
As a matter of fact, not only did they add street signs, but the symbol itself introduces size of the sign and orientation. I mean, who would represent a sign as a giant block with the same effectiveness from all directions? In addition, height off the ground plays an important role. With the intermediate height levels, there is a whole new section on math and blind hexes introduced. Because ASL has no real representation of what a level is, each new scenario card now has a "Level 1 is X meters" notation. With this, you can plug the elevation difference, distance to target (remember, a hex is 40 meters), and range to sign to determine if you LOS is ACTUALLY blocked by the sign. Fortunately for us, Xavier has mathematical geniuses on staff and the produced a 1000 page pamphlet were all the math is done for us and all we have to do is cross reference these values in the chart to get a true/false for LOS. It's all quite clever.
In fact the rules about signs have been rewritten and I can proudly announce that they are now ONLY 998 pages long !
A nice nd simple addition to the system.

Lionel

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In fact the rules about signs have been rewritten and I can proudly announce that they are now ONLY 998 pages long !

Lionel
Hopefully included historical ones like the Burma Shave signs (though not a lot of scenarios depict actions in the U.S. & Canada).

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recall reading accounts from Torch/North Africa of the soldiers amusing themselves reading the Barbasol (or something) billboards.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

Lionel
Well, that was after I got through editing. I only saw the first draft. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Fortunately for us, Xavier has mathematical geniuses on staff and he produced a 1000 page pamphlet...
I like it, I like it...

The Oberst has produced a 1042 page instruction manual on how to correctly park a Schützenpanzerwagen in occupied towns. These will go together nicely with the pamphlet on street signs (if Germany is covered, I hope they contain a chapter on no-parking signs) and city lamps.

von Marwitz

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I like it, I like it...

The Oberst has produced a 1042 page instruction manual on how to correctly park a Schützenpanzerwagen in occupied towns. These will go together nicely with the pamphlet on street signs (if Germany is covered, I hope they contain a chapter on no-parking signs) and city lamps.

von Marwitz
When I was in Aachen in '88 for a NATO exercise at nearby Geilenkirchen Airbase I kept seeing these street signs and thought to myself: my god there's an awful lots of streets with the same name!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
When I was in Aachen in '88 for a NATO exercise at nearby Geilenkirchen Airbase I kept seeing these street signs and thought to myself: my god there's an awful lots of streets with the same name!
View attachment 17060
You have no idea how many Germany cities are named "Ausfahrt". Even funnier, it's always to the right. -- jim

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
View attachment 17060
Fun story:

In the late 50's or early 60's my grandma had travelled to Italy with my dad and my uncle. In Rome, they were looking for the city center, but they didn't speak a word of Italian. They figured, there must be plenty of signs directing people to the city center. They found plenty of signs "Senso Unico" and figured this must be it. So they were heading into countless one way streets in the wrong direction, never coming any nearer to the city center.

It wouldn't be Italy if the Italians had been bothered. Finally, someone explained and pointed them into the right direction...

von Marwitz