Attack countrr attack, withdrawal Victory Conditions

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm currently working on a scenario where there is an attack followed by a counter attack and withdrawal by the defenders. I'm trying to parse the VCs so the responsibility is all on the attackers.

Provided they have lost 24CVP or less, the Germans win on turn 4 by controlling any 3 buildings on board 69 or at game end if the Polish exit less than 28 CVP. Units that start on map are worth double CVP.

I hope this both encourages the attacker to take risks at the start, for ing the reinforcing cavalry to take part in the battle rather than just hanging back to exit.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Vinnie,

I like this idea and it sounds exciting and different! But the issue of distinguish units that started on the map vs units that entered the map could be an annoying process if using pieces rather than VASL...

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Attack/counterattack patterns are the most exciting, but also the most difficult to fine-tune.
There is too little disclosed (though i'm okay with your wish to maintain secrecy) to provide a serious diagnostic.
Good luck in your endeavour.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Vinnie,

I like this idea and it sounds exciting and different! But the issue of distinguish units that started on the map vs units that entered the map could be an annoying process if using pieces rather than VASL...
The at start forces are 5 green squads. The reinforcements are high elr elite cavalry.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Attack/counterattack patterns are the most exciting, but also the most difficult to fine-tune.
There is too little disclosed (though i'm okay with your wish to maintain secrecy) to provide a serious diagnostic.
Good luck in your endeavour.
I understand, just needing help that the VCs are not so obscure as to make people go huh?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Provided they have lost 24CVP or less, the Germans win on turn 4 by controlling any 3 buildings on board 69 or at game end if the Polish exit less than 28 CVP. Units that start on map are worth double CVP.
End of German player turn 4? Or end of Game turn 4? Or anytime during turn 4?
What happens if the German loses more than 24 CVP after turn 4?
I understand prisoners from initial units would be worth quadruple VP. It is your intention?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
VICTORY CONDITIONS: The Germans win at the end of Game Turn 4 by Controlling ≥ 3 buildings on board 69, provided the Poles amass ≤ 24 CVP or at game end if the Poles have exited ≤ 27 Exit VP. Units that start the game onboard are worth double for both CVP and Exit VP purposes.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
VICTORY CONDITIONS: The Germans win at the end of Game Turn 4 by Controlling ≥ 3 buildings on board 69, provided the Poles amass ≤ 24 CVP or at game end if the Poles have exited ≤ 27 Exit VP. Units that start the game onboard are worth double for both CVP and Exit VP purposes.
That makes the CVP cap seem to apply onky to the turn 4 VCs.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
End of German player turn 4? Or end of Game turn 4? Or anytime during turn 4?
What happens if the German loses more than 24 CVP after turn 4?
I understand prisoners from initial units would be worth quadruple VP. It is your intention?
End of game turn 4 (the Poles can fight to retake buildings).
The German CVP cap applies throughout the scenario so the Poles can win by inflicting casualties or by getting off board. Fight or flee.
Only polish forces start on board so there is no possibility of quadruple value but the Poles can boost their exit CVPs with prisoners.

Basically, the situation is to portray an assault against the border defences that has progressed into the rear areas which is then countered by a cavalry formation. If you use the cavalry as they should be used (rapid movement to deploy out of range and then again to run away once the situation warrants it or to ride down a broken enemy) you should be ok. If you try to charge the enemy, you're going to have a bad time!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The at start forces are 5 green squads. The reinforcements are high elr elite cavalry.
This still means that if an at-start squad Battle Hardens and a Cavalry squad fails ELR they are indistinguishable. Always problematic to keep track of squad IDs etc.

Try to avoid this, I think.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
That makes the CVP cap seem to apply onky to the turn 4 VCs.
I thought that was the case.

VICTORY CONDITIONS: Provided the Poles amass ≤ 24 CVP, the Germans win at the end of Game Turn 4 by Controlling ≥ 3 buildings on board 69 or at game end if the Poles have exited ≤ 27 Exit VP. Units that start the game onboard are worth double for both CVP and Exit VP purposes.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
This still means that if an at-start squad Battle Hardens and a Cavalry squad fails ELR they are indistinguishable. Always problematic to keep track of squad IDs etc.

Try to avoid this, I think.
He may grant underlined morale status to the cavalry to prevent confusion (if they are that good).

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Given the numbers involved (I'm looking at 4 green squads on board) I'm not too concerned about this. But you are right to point out the possibility. I dislike having to keep track of anything.
As it happens, the actual numbers are what the playtesting is going to have to sort out. First play through was fine but too far in favour of the defenders.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I've had this problem before in attempting to historically portray an advancing company patrol that is counterattacked and forced to retreat from the playing area the way they came.

I was thinking along the lines of awarding VP per unit reaching a specific hexrow (or entering the next board) as well as exit VP for exiting off the board edge they entered on.

The total would have to be, say, 50% higher than the at-start CVP total of the entering force so that the attacker cannot just enter the playing area & reverse off it for the win!

All the while, the enemy will be counterattacking the patrol to whittle down the CVP total able to escape off board and garner VPs.

The only drawback is the need to keep track of which letter ID attacker units reach the designated 'advance line' (maybe the counterattacking player can track this).

VICTORY CONDITIONS: The British win by accumulating 45 VP at game end.
VP are awarded as: 1. CVP for each British unit entering Board x during the scenario (VP awarded once only per individual unit).
and 2. Exit VP for each British unit exited off the southern board edge.
The Japanese win by avoiding the British Victory conditions.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or just plain confusing :)