ATT vs AFV

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was just reading an AAR and noticed that a player used Area Target Type (HE ammo) vs an AFV instead of using AP ammo.

(NRBH) I'm drawing a blank, what is the advantage to that?

...and while I'm thinking about it, would you still used the size modifier on the TH when using ATT?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes AP ammo will have no chance of killing or injuring an enemy tank (even with a critical hit, sometimes). However, HE ammo almost always has at least a small chance of killing or immobilizing an enemy tank.

Alan P.

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In general [NRBH, either] ATT TH# may be higher than VTT, esp. at longer ranges; so a hit is easier.

AP TK# may be low compared to af of AFV resulting in '0' or negative FTK#. HE may shock the crew which can end up being as good as AP elimination.

I'm in the middle of a game in which my CE PzVIE got hit w/HE from a T-34. My opponent rolled a '3' then '2'(or something like that) and the PzVI is now about to roll for 'UK' resolution: 1-3 he's OK, 4-6 and he's a wreck w/out poss. of cs.

I thank my opponent for introducing me to this particular rules' subtlety, but it may turn out to be a costly lesson. . .

Alan

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If HE hits an AFV, there is a Sepcific Collateral attack vs. vulnerable PRC...
This can happen when people don't dive in BU situation fast enough... :twisted:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are really three choices (leaving aside special ammo):

Fire at vehicle using AP and VTT.

Fire at vehicle using HE and VTT.

Fire at vehicle using HE and ATT.

Typically, the first is preferred. The second is generally only used for guns without AP or where AP is a special ammo. The third can be used by any weak gun against a highly armored tank, because a low die roll on the IFT can still have a result.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I mostly agree pitman, except that I use the second option (fire at vehicle using HE and VTT) once in a while even when I have unlimited AP.

I do this when the opponent have an (almost) invulnerable AFV, that is CE. In this case, my best bet may be to get an effect against the crew. 16+2 (80mm Gun) have a decent chance of stunning the crew, which may be what's needed.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Ole Boe said:
I mostly agree pitman, except that I use the second option (fire at vehicle using HE and VTT) once in a while even when I have unlimited AP.

I do this when the opponent have an (almost) invulnerable AFV, that is CE. In this case, my best bet may be to get an effect against the crew. 16+2 (80mm Gun) have a decent chance of stunning the crew, which may be what's needed.
So do I : it can even help me to move another AFV in the back of the stunned one to kill it cleanly...
But a good player usually goes BU if he feels he is coming in harm's way...

Note that firing a ATT with a mortar against an OT AFV in woods is really deadly, as Air Burst is in effect and the AFV considered as Unarmored...