ATR Final Fire in DFPh

Doofus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi All,
I feel I must have missed something in the full ASL rules, so I wonder whether anyone knows the reference that I've overlooked. In SK, Final Fire for units/weapons marked with a First Fire counter is expressly restricted to "units and non-vehicular MG (or IFE Gun/MA)" (or Gun/MA in the case of Intensive Fire). Whereas ASL reads: "Any such units/weapons that are marked with a First Fire counter may also fire again (by flipping their First Fire marker over to the Final Fire side), but as Area Fire and only at units in an adjacent (or same) hex" (A8.4), where "any such..." is only restricted to those belonging to the DEFENDER.
This latter definition seems broader in that it is inclusive of weapons excluded by the SK text, such as the ATR, which is the weapon of interest here. ASL seems to allow the use of an ATR marked with a First Fire counter in Final Fire against an enemy AFV in an adjacent hex, with Case D penalty for Area Fire. This is not allowed in SK - neither is there an applicable Area Fire penalty in the SK to hit modifier table.
What am I missing, please? Thanks!

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
A unit fire -small arm fire - and an ATR is allowed to use it as small arms fire.
Perhaps you find your answer in the links.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
... ASL seems to allow the use of an ATR marked with a First Fire counter in Final Fire against an enemy AFV in an adjacent hex, with Case D penalty for Area Fire. This is not allowed in SK - neither is there an applicable Area Fire penalty in the SK to hit modifier table.
What am I missing, please? Thanks!
C5.6, only Guns may Intensive Fire vs AFV (not ATR).

Doofus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks STAVKA for the link to that interesting thread. It certainly demonstrates how the ATR is a bit special. Regarding your second reply, I thought that a non-Multiple ROF ATR would not be subject to A8.41, and so would not need to use Intensive Fire, as you point out. But that's why I figured that C5.4 (Case D) would apply, for a +2 modifier for Area Fire in Final Fire (vs. adjacent AFV).
Thanks again!