ATG/AAA/etc, No Optics?

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Re: ATG/AAA/etc, No Optics? Wpn Controls?

Just watched this battle and it's not a very good showcase for the AI. I might try it as Soviets though the AImdefence might need tweaking a bit.
I believe its designed for German vs. AI. I would try that first. More than likely, you will get run over. Especially if you use the initial German setup. The ATG and StuGs and LATW have a lot of work to do. German Mortar fire needs to break up the Soviet Tank/Infantry threat.

I just did a quick try at a new defense and saw some StuG behavior that was beyond anything else I have reported as far as awful spotting and buttoned Soviet T34/85 getting the drop.

I had a StuG covering an approach that it looked like the AI would take. I had a 500-600 meters field of fire. Not great considering the Soviets 85mm would more often than not just hole a StuG at those ranges.

But the T34 were all buttoned from infantry and mortar fire. Tank riders were no where around. Soon, my StuG (behind some small hedge), 'spotted' a T34/85 sitting still. It was 550 meters. I put a Target line on it (just because you 'see' something doesn't mean you can always target that something...) and waited for the turn. The unbuttoned StuG just sat there. Turn after turn. Minutes go by. Finally there is an audible "Panzer!", and the loader finally buttons up so its battle stations! But, he pops right back out! Minutes go by. Minutes go by. I go over to the T34/85 and watch him because there was a 'zip' sound near the StuG. Sure enough, even buttoned, he must have got a spot, targeted and fired a miss. He cranks his turret back to the forward position. The StuG does not fire back. I go back to the StuG. I wait and time rolls by. Finally, another "Panzer!", loader buttons up, gunner is reported as 'aiming' and .....Fire....but nothing came out. No shot. I am not kidding. I go back over to the T34/85 and it has now cranked its hull over inline with the StuG bearing. I go back to the StuG, and another moving T34 ahs got its attention since it has actually crossed in front of the invisible T34. It gets a hit, T34 keeps rolling along. And the invisible T34/85 takes another shot. I then back the StuG up in disgust.

There is something basically broken in the core modeling here.

mOBIUS

Reaction score

There as a time when I would build a similar map and scenario in PCO and ask to compare. These days I don't care.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The CM customer is really left with just educated guesses as to what is wrong with the Spotting/Identifying/Contact code. I really doubt that Steve's second hand diatribes convey the actual "mechanics" of the system. I am especially irked by this supposed "Random" round-robin deal he described.
Yeah the problem is that the customer is left with guesses that are not educated. Some of Steve's ideas about how the same works are clearly not matching what Charles put in (and are often not making sense, would be unimplementable).

I consider this a problem. If they would educate the customer better about the shortcoming of the system then the customer could come up with ways to avoid them or deal with them. In scenario design, in custom gentleman's rules etc.